Captain
# 1 Brel Bird of Prey question
03-21-2013, 08:23 AM
I am wondering whether or not to purchase the "Brel Bird of Prey", seeing as I rarely get zen to spend, this is a very important question for myself, (and perhaps for the KDF side, as if it is as cool a ship as I hope, I may play more as a klingon depending upon if it's a great ship or not).

So my questions for this ship are:

1- Can you attack enemies while cloaked? (I'm guessing you can fire torpedoes?)

2- Is it worth buying in your opinion? (if so or if not, why?)

3- What do you like about the ship?

4- what do you not like bout it?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

-Aaron
Captain
# 2
03-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amahood View Post
I am wondering whether or not to purchase the "Brel Bird of Prey", seeing as I rarely get zen to spend, this is a very important question for myself, (and perhaps for the KDF side, as if it is as cool a ship as I hope, I may play more as a klingon depending upon if it's a great ship or not).

-Aaron
1 - you can fire mines fully cloaked however firing torpedos will unlcloak you for 3 seconds then you go back to cloak

2 - yes deadly in pvp if you practice with it this isn't just turn the key and fly target choice is key

3 - deadly in pvp very versatile

4 - extremely hard to use in pve the Borg sneeze you die in pvp it seems every little Freddie punk is using cpb nowadays
----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====----
Empire Veteran
# 3
03-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Quote:

-Aaron

1. Yes. Torpedoes, mines, along with most captain and BOFF powers can be used under cloak. Most things however will de-cloak you briefly when you use them. You re-cloak after a couple seconds, but just keep it in mind.

2. Yes. While it dies VERY easily, in the hands of a good pilot, especially with teamwork, the B'rel is one of the most deadly ships in the game.

3. Everything pretty much.

4. I don't like that the Fleet B'rel only gains an engineering console.

Lt. Commander
# 4
03-21-2013, 03:45 PM
1. As others have said, drop mines while under cloak and fire torps with 3 secs of dropping cloak. Also, you can use alot of sci and eng boff abilities while under cloak with the 3 sec rule as well. This is great for heals but bad for TBR where you are revealed while using the skill. Most skills you recloak under.

2. Best return on my money in STO to date. Unlike lockboxes, you know what you are getting, can use it for all your characters, and there really is no other ship like it.

3. My favorite ship, because you can do lots of different things with it. Torp boat, traditional BOP setup that heals under cloak. Sci/healer platform, etc.

4. It will autofire your torps while under cloak. In a torp boat setup not an issue b/c you manually fire all your torps. In a traditional setup, I have prematurely revealed myself on accident b/c of this. You have to deselect your tgt after cloaking, to prevent that from happening. And yeah Fleet B'rel extra eng console slot is retarded.
Empire Veteran
# 5
03-22-2013, 01:03 AM
The annoyance you'll find out (eventually) is the decloaking of your bird when tactical officer decides to tell you something (at least in Kerat warzone). This is a bug but according to the spokesmen of PWE it is working as intended.
Extra eng console is indeed a very retarded move, and have no idea what is the logic behind it.
A torpedo boat setup may not be recommended for PvE.
I'd say to keep at least one copy of energy masking. It is a backup cloak in case if feddies decided to fire charged particle brust on you. And do keep a copy of sci team as feddies scis love to subnuke the boat.
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Captain
# 6
03-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Thank you kindly for your replies.

Every single one has helped me to put this route into better perspective.

I did not know, obviously, that it will automatically fire torpedoes while cloaked if targeting...

That is not a good feature to have......

Yet it's still got my curiosity due to the fact of the positives you have all mentioned.

One of the "best ships" to buy for a klingon. Very curious indeed....

While it is highly unlikely I will ever have zen again LOL, (unless of course I cram real hard with the exchange of dil to zen yikes! --that's how I've got this zen, but man is it tireing).

So anyhow, you all have helped me to remain on the decision.....so far......... to buy the ship, once I reach 2000 zen.

Thank you all and "Qapla"

-Aaron
Captain
# 7
03-22-2013, 01:30 AM
oh and also, I couldn't agree more, bout the lock boxes. I recently bought bout 5 keys in hopes to get the jem'hadar ship for my jem'hadar character.........

duty officers....more duty officers.....and yet MORE duty officers......

so um yeah, I gave up on that waste of zen keys, and decided to save up for something you Know you will get by choosing something from the zen store.

Qapla!
Captain
# 8
03-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Thank you kindly for your replies.

Every single one has helped me to put this route into better perspective.

I did not know, obviously, that it will automatically fire torpedoes while cloaked if targeting...

Yet it's still got my curiosity due to the fact of the positives you have all mentioned.

One of the "best ships" to buy for a klingon. Very curious indeed....

While it is highly unlikely I will ever have zen again LOL, (unless of course I cram real hard with the exchange of dil to zen yikes! --that's how I've got this zen, but man is it tireing).

So anyhow, you all have helped me to remain on the decision.....so far......... to buy the ship, once I reach 2000 zen.

Thank you all and "Qapla"

-Aaron
I don't know wether the other kdf has a bug but my Brel does not have the auto fire torpedos

Unless of course I put them on auto fire which is crazy as really you want to get a firing order worked out
----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====----
Lieutenant
# 9
03-22-2013, 05:31 AM
Quote:

Just to be clear, it autofires torpedoes only if you actually have them set to autofire. I can say for certain that my B'rel does NOT autofire torps (or anything else) by default.

And +1 on it being worth it. The B'rel is far and away my favorite ship, on either faction (though it is also the only ship I've ever purchased, either C-Store or Exchange). The battle cloak and resulting natural emphasis on torpedoes makes it play like a submarine in a naval game.
Captain
# 10
03-22-2013, 11:12 AM
I love my little B'Rel its one tough little hombre

What i like about it is its quick and agile you can out turn almost anything you come against
I got mine set full cannons so shredding shields is not a problem
Though as mentioned by someone if a borg sneezes on you your dead
I have learned to fight them with hit and run tactics i go in shred a cubes shields cloak and back off then go in again once my cloaks cooldown ends

It takes a while but the cube will die

Now PvP heh heh heh the B'Rel is a beast it can carve up a players ship fast and in the right hands can be hard to beat.

In my opinion the B'Rel is the best ship ive bought so far its my favorite

That and the excelsior retrofit on my fed toon

But B'Rel is my numero uno favorite