Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Commander
# 71
05-16-2013, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpangel View Post
Considering people who have been chat-banned have complained about not receiving their exchange sales/returns...I'd say it's likely they count as you mailing to yourself for blocking purposes, even if it says "Exchange" in the sender field. Unless the chat-ban also blocks you from receiving mail.

Anyway, it should be simple enough to check...empty your exchange listing, set the only friends and fleet can mail -option, sell one item thats in high demand so it sells quickly and see if you get the mail.

these claims come from the overwhelming fact that most as in a huge majority of them do weather it be by visiting their site and A.getting a keylogger or B.having to make an account there (which because alot of people use the same user/pass in numerous places) among other things.

the other option they could use to stop this is allow people to toggle friend only contacting or not not sure if they do or don't have this yet
Andy@andy30
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1615554000&dateline=1  365460663
Republic Veteran
# 72
05-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
If you get mail like this, please click the "report spam" button on the email, and please file a GM behavior ticket via the [?] on the minimap, including the @handle of who sent it, so we can investigate and take appropriate action.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Bran...we (I) report it ALOT...but you at Crytic don't seem to want to stop this spamming....i started playing at f2p, and this was never a problem until recently, what has changed? Was it the Season 7 stuff? Seems like it.....Help Us!
"If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
Career Officer
# 73
05-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Branflakes, I get a lot of these mails... several a week. And the accounts sending them are not the random letter @names EGPal uses to spam Zone (something they've done since the game launched, and that Cryptic and now PWE have done nothing apparent about). They're obviously hacked accounts.

I've been reporting as spam, and now I'll file GM tickets, too, but this appears to me to be a major security problem.
Captain
# 74
05-16-2013, 09:14 AM
The funny thing about this subject is actually that it shows the one and only real advantage of playing only a Klingon (and having deleted all Fed characters after reaching lvl 25):

I have never received spam mails

Seems like the lvl 25 barrier keeps spam bots from messing with the red side. I would never have thought that the absence of content might be a good thing one day.

However this also means that by next tuesday this advantage will be gone and all three factions will get their equal share of spam mails

EDIT:
This actually got me an idea. Why doesn't Cryptic just lock the mail system until the player reached lvl 25 on at least ONE character on his account?
Captain
# 75
05-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenw0lf View Post
EDIT:
This actually got me an idea. Why doesn't Cryptic just lock the mail system until the player reached lvl 25 on at least ONE character on his account?
Because collecrtive punishment is not good, add to that it doesn't take long to get there.

There is already a lock on f2p accounts of 20 hours unless they meet certain conditions. With a few bits I could get to 25 before the 20 hour game time lock out is up.
Captain
# 76
05-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia View Post
Because collecrtive punishment is not good, add to that it doesn't take long to get there.

There is already a lock on f2p accounts of 20 hours unless they meet certain conditions. With a few bits I could get to 25 before the 20 hour game time lock out is up.
It's not really collective punishment when a player can easily reach lvl 25. Most players also already did long ago. Bots however are not players. They don't do any missions or try to level up their characters, else the red side would receive spam mails as well.
Starfleet Veteran
without mentioning them by name so as not to shame them Directly, is more being done to block them besides the report spam/put on ignore list?

it is against ToS to purchase from them especialy when the require your account loggin right?

and against ToS to be one of them selling that stuff right?

is there no way to keep them out of the game? i Fear that the report spam button only puts them on my ignore list and doesn't let you know they are spamming.

I also would be remiss to not assume they could be a source of account hackking.

can we get more donwe against them than just the standard if you use them your gone warning?

That warning seems similiar to if the cops didn't arrest the street equivelant and only issued a warning.

Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009! :smile:
Captain
# 78
05-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjewkes View Post
it is against ToS to purchase from them especialy when the require your account loggin right?
I could see where the hacks are coming from if people are doing this.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 79
05-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Its been bad lately, I logged in the other day and found like 6 new EC/etc spam mails from different people. I flag them and ignore them, but the pace seems to be increasing...
Rihannsu
# 80
05-16-2013, 12:49 PM
From the ToS:

Quote:
...you agree not to take any of the following actions:
(d) Upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes", or any other form of solicitation;
(j) Engage in any actions that defraud or attempt to defraud, scam or cheat others out of any items that have been earned through authorized game play;
(m) trade, sell, auction or otherwise transfer any virtual items or goods of any nature outside the game; and/or
Personally I don't just ignore I report them to the GM just to be safe.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.