Republic Veteran
# 11
04-15-2013, 07:11 PM
The story never takes into account the other players....if it did, than 100,000 people saved DS9 from the Dominion at the same time, or saved the Galaxy from another Doomsday weapon.

The Romulan faction is not fighting a civil war within a civil war... people are thinking way to much into it.
Rihannsu
# 12
04-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlocutusofborgx View Post
See I always thought pvp was some what of the story with STO and what was going on..
When the game first launched or before it launched I'm sure that was part of the plan. But in time the devs realized that the Fed vs KDF angle was much less interesting than Fed and KDF vs Borg and Tholians and Undine and Iconians, oh my!

Hence, the ongoing reputation system where both sides inevitably find a reason to cooperate on every major issue.

KDF and Fed are basically Frenemies. They don't like each other, but they've got more in common than they do with any one else, so they end up working together.
Career Officer
# 13
04-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
The story never takes into account the other players....if it did, than 100,000 people saved DS9 from the Dominion at the same time, or saved the Galaxy from another Doomsday weapon.

The Romulan faction is not fighting a civil war within a civil war... people are thinking way to much into it.
Well put. After that comment I guess my outlook on it all is abit different. But in the end I better not be fighting Republic Romulans or my world will come crumbling down around me hahhaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxinvictus View Post
When the game first launched or before it launched I'm sure that was part of the plan. But in time the devs realized that the Fed vs KDF angle was much less interesting than Fed and KDF vs Borg and Tholians and Undine and Iconians, oh my!

Hence, the ongoing reputation system where both sides inevitably find a reason to cooperate on every major issue.

KDF and Fed are basically Frenemies. They don't like each other, but they've got more in common than they do with any one else, so they end up working together.
Ive played a few PVP maps, but again I always assumed that even though pvp may not be the heart and soul to the game, that it took alittle piece of the game to itself where again we would see the KDF and Fed War at its "climax". I know there is objective maps in pvp, where you have to control certain locations ect. Guess thats how I just viewed it all in terms of war effort ect.
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx

Last edited by xlocutusofborgx; 04-15-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Captain
# 14
04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
And if it does happen again this ties in to my question, these guys are all about peacefull, I could see the whole "training" thing in terms of pvp, but if they in the end fight each other due to their selected sides.. isnt that just blowing up their whole "lets rebuilding be peacefull" story.
I was talking about countries that export mercenaries not Romulans itself in that situation. All Romulan vs. Romulan conflict will be PvP content besides taking out Tal Shiar.
Republic Veteran
# 15
04-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post

and if you think about it in those terms, (the taking other players into account) make that whole 2800 thing seems extra silly.

100,000 ships against 2,800 does not result in my captain retreating to Bajor.
Captain
# 16
04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Meanwhile, my Vice Admiral is in Gamma Orionis Sector with Battle Group Omega, taking missions from a Klingon general. Doesn't sound much like a "war" to me...
D'Vak was a Starfleet captain prior to taking over Task Force Omega. He's also Ambassador Worf's grandson - the son of Alexander.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Commander
# 17
04-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
and if you think about it in those terms, (the taking other players into account) make that whole 2800 thing seems extra silly.

100,000 ships against 2,800 does not result in my captain retreating to Bajor.
"And there we were, 10 against 100....."

"Yeah, we really wiped the floor with those 10 guys."
Captain
# 18
04-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:
I just cant bend my mind around this and possibly others out there have the same feelings/thoughts on the matter.
Do some research on the Korean War to get an idea of how larger political forces can create a situation where countrymen end up having to fight each other.

Now replace the Korean people with green blooded space elves who like to tag fluffy little Epohhs on an irradiated new colony of a planet, and viola, you can now wrap your mind around this story Cryptic is crafting.
Captain
# 19
04-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Do some research on the Korean War to get an idea of how larger political forces can create a situation where countrymen end up having to fight each other.

Now replace the Korean people with green blooded space elves who like to tag fluffy little Epohhs on an irradiated new colony of a planet, and viola, you can now wrap your mind around this story Cryptic is crafting.
A proxy war between China and the US? So is the Romulan faction basically a proxy war between the KDF and FED right now, with Romulan soldiers of the Republic lining up at recruitment centers for both factions?

It's strange, because the existance of the RR creates an interesting potential choice for Romulan players: More liberty but less stability (under D'Tan) or status quo with more stability (RSE), but then throws that out by not giving a choice.

Cryptic have created a complicated political situation by having the RR face off agaisnt the RSE, then have laughably decided that players would have the choice of making the RR a KDF or FED protectorate, instead of the obvious choice.
Captain
# 20
04-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
A proxy war between China and the US? So is the Romulan faction basically a proxy war between the KDF and FED right now, with Romulan soldiers of the Republic lining up at recruitment centers for both factions?
That's how I was able to wrap my head around it, yes. As with most analogies, there's holes and flaws and it's very imperfect. But it is at least an example I could come up with where countrymen end up having to fight each other due to two other larger powers being at odds.