Captain
# 21
04-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
That's how I was able to wrap my head around it, yes. As with most analogies, there's holes and flaws and it's very imperfect. But it is at least an example I could come up with where countrymen end up having to fight each other due to two other larger powers being at odds.
that's unfortunate, but makes sense given what we know about the LOR expansion so far. It just doesn't seem terribly exiting to me to have one of the great 'big three' of Star Trek reduced to a proxy war squabble between the Klingons and Federation, particulalry so considering the devs have decided to make the end game converge for all factions, which would seem to indicate that it isn't even much of a proxy war.

Last edited by catoblepasbeta; 04-15-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 22
04-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Do you guys listen to anything? PVP is not story related and as far as the story goes there will be only 1 count it ONE romulan siding up with either faction now wrap your head around that. There will not be ANY New Romulus romulans fighting each other story wise maybe fighting the Tal Shiar but not any sort of proxy war.
The Emperor

Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose... against statistically long odds.

Last edited by westx211; 04-15-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 23
04-15-2013, 11:45 PM
This is how I predict how it's gonna play out.

You do your missions then get to the mission where you pick FED or KDF...After you pick never really hear from the KDF and FED again except to get their ships from the C store if you choose to or Defend the starbase....play the rest of the Romulan faction missions then play the FE and the next time you hear from the KDF or FED is at 50 when you're fighting the Borg.

I doubt Cryptic is going to acknowledge you're fighting a War with the KDF or FED.

There is no Proxy war since the Romulans answer to the same guy regardless if they choose FED or KDF, and the Republic is not picking sides just one captain.

A real proxy war would have been Romulan Star Empire backed by the Klingon Empire and the Romulan republic backed by the Federation.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Captain
# 24
04-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx211 View Post
Do you guys listen to anything? PVP is not story related and as far as the story goes there will be only 1 count it ONE romulan siding up with either faction now wrap your head around that. There will not be ANY New Romulus romulans fighting each other story wise maybe fighting the Tal Shiar but not any sort of proxy war.
Did you miss the part in the interviews where it was stated where we would have to blow up KDF/FED ships in the storyline depending on who we sided with? Fighting the KDF/FED at the behest of their enemies soudns like a proxy war to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
This is how I predict how it's gonna play out.

You do your missions then get to the mission where you pick FED or KDF...After you pick never really hear from the KDF and FED again except to get their ships from the C store if you choose to or Defend the starbase....play the rest of the Romulan faction missions then play the FE and the next time you hear from the KDF or FED is at 50 when you're fighting the Borg.

I doubt Cryptic is going to acknowledge you're fighting a War with the KDF or FED.

There is no Proxy war since the Romulans answer to the same guy regardless if they choose FED or KDF, and the Republic is not picking sides just one captain.

A real proxy war would have been Romulan Star Empire backed by the Klingon Empire and the Romulan republic backed by the Federation.
We are expected to blow up KDF/FED ships at the behest of our alleis within the context of episodes, before the convergance-which does sound an awful lot like a proxy war, plus the whole getting ships from their alleis thing the rommies have going on, which is a classic tactic in soem of the more hands-off proxy wars of history.

Even if Cryptic leaves alone the whole elephant in the room of half the Rommies going one way and the other half the other way in the narrative, we would be left with a proxy war situation, with one of the factions supplying you to fight their enemies.

For the record, I think a RR/RSE faction split would have made a whole lot more sense than this.
Empire Veteran
# 25
04-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
that's unfortunate, but makes sense given what we know about the LOR expansion so far. It just doesn't seem terribly exiting to me to have one of the great 'big three' of Star Trek reduced to a proxy war squabble between the Klingons and Federation, particulalry so considering the devs have decided to make the end game converge for all factions, which would seem to indicate that it isn't even much of a proxy war.
Quote:
Did you miss the part in the interviews where it was stated where we would have to blow up KDF/FED ships in the storyline depending on who we sided with? Fighting the KDF/FED at the behest of their enemies soudns like a proxy war to me.

We are expected to blow up KDF/FED ships at the behest of our alleis within the context of episodes, before the convergance-which does sound an awful lot like a proxy war, plus the whole getting ships from their alleis thing the rommies have going on, which is a classic tactic in soem of the more hands-off proxy wars of history.

Even if Cryptic leaves alone the whole elephant in the room of half the Rommies going one way and the other half the other way in the narrative, we would be left with a proxy war situation, with one of the factions supplying you to fight their enemies.

For the record, I think a RR/RSE faction split would have made a whole lot more sense than this.
You aren't listening are you? There's still only one romulan allying with the fed or KDF and taking part of that war but only one the proxy war thing is where romulans fight romulans for fed/kdf war which isn't what's going to happen the faction isn't split story wise there's just a romulan who's decided to ally with one of the factions.
The Emperor

Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose... against statistically long odds.
Captain
# 26
04-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx211 View Post
You aren't listening are you? There's still only one romulan allying with the fed or KDF and taking part of that war but only one the proxy war thing is where romulans fight romulans for fed/kdf war which isn't what's going to happen the faction isn't split story wise there's just a romulan who's decided to ally with one of the factions.
Only one Romulan? Did you miss out on the rest of the Romulan Republic that the players will be a part of? And it has yet to be determined if the existance of other Romulan player's choices will be acknowledged in game in some way. Even if it is not, we would have the PCs dragging the RR into position to act as a proxy for their ally in the KDF-FED war.
Republic Veteran
# 27
04-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Only one Romulan? Did you miss out on the rest of the Romulan Republic that the players will be a part of? And it has yet to be determined if the existance of other Romulan player's choices will be acknowledged in game in some way. Even if it is not, we would have the PCs dragging the RR into position to act as a proxy for their ally in the KDF-FED war.
Cryptic has never acknowledge in the story about other players choices, and I doubt they will start now, the only choice that matters is whatever you do with your character.

As for RR fighting FED & KDF all Cryptic said is there will be that, but nothing about it being about the War..The RR is not taking sides, the RR is helping them deal with Borg and Tholions, and in return they get ships, and help with New Romulus nothing about joining the war which pretty much has been on hold since the Dominion arch...and from tribble as far as I can tell the Cease fire has not ended since all the FE have been moved to synce all factions with each other.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Captain
# 28
04-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Quote:
I believe that point being made is that each Captain's journey is somewhat unique to that Captain. While tens-of-thousands are all doing the same missions it is essentially a solo or small group experience - you're doing it by yourself or with up to 4 other people. It's not 500,000 Captains fighting the Borg Queen. It's you and 4 others.

If you decide to take your Rom into PvP then your Captain's journey will involve Roms fighting Roms - but that is not the story. That is simply the direction you decided to take your particular character. Since PvP is already outside of the context of the story - it has no impact on anything going on in the story - any Rom vrs Rom consequence are just as easily overlooked as any KDF vrs KDF or Fed vrs Fed consequences. AKA, there are none.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Empire Veteran
# 29
04-16-2013, 09:25 AM
It's a game and it's a game design decision. Why? because they don't want people to feel lonely in underpopulated factions. That's what Dan Stahl said in the last interview.

If you don't agree... Well, too bad, this isn't going to change anyway. He also said that.
Captain
# 30
04-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
It's a game and it's a game design decision. Why? because they don't want people to feel lonely in underpopulated factions. That's what Dan Stahl said in the last interview.

If you don't agree... Well, too bad, this isn't going to change anyway. He also said that.
I am not sure we were listening to the same STOked podcast.

In simplest terms, Roms have alliances because Cryptic doesn't want more then 2 Faction PvP - the Roms need to side with Feds or KDF so that PvP is always Red versus Blue. They don't believe that 3 or 4 sided PvP brings anything to the game - at least not as far as how they perceive the game.

And, of course, that is not going to change now. They have been working on bring Roms into the game since PWE purchased Cryptic. That's nearly 2 years. Roms weren't something they decided to do in Jan and you're getting it in May. It's something they've been building toward since June of 2011.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.