Ensign
# 1 STO compatible with Mac OSX
04-25-2013, 04:29 AM
hello guys,

I've been playin' this awesome game for 2 years now, and I'm wonderin' when the guys from STO will launch a version compatible with MacOSX.
Captain
# 2
04-25-2013, 04:52 AM
Probably won't happen.

Not enough of a market for it to make it worth devoting the resources to doing a conversion.

That being said, I'd love for that to happen. The only reason I even have Windows on my Mac is to play STO.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Also a Mac User ... and former City of Heroes player.
Captain
# 4
04-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
Also a Mac User ... and former City of Heroes player.
Same here. Such a shame to see it go.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Rihannsu
# 5
04-25-2013, 06:20 AM
I saw Daniel Stahl say in TTS the other day that he had just received word that a Mac client was indeed being given the green light. I haven't heard it officially stated anywhere outside of TTS, however.

Perhaps he will see this thread and post about whether or not that's still a thing or not.
I am a Cheestah.
Check out my Foundry missions
Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
Career Officer
# 6
04-25-2013, 07:19 AM
To support what Hav wrote, it was mentioned on the "Ask Cryptic January 2013" page:

Quote:
http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=800861

Q: (treadstone79) When will STO be released for Mac OS X?

Dstahl: We are investigating this now and would like to see it happen in 2013 if we can work it out. Stay tuned!
There has also been another thread here (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=515511) about the matter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Vice Admiral T'Phira, Ragnarok Fleet - Head of Logistics Division; Captain Selena, Ragnarok Fleet; Captain Altecha, Ragnarok Fleet; Captain K'Kera, Ragnarok Fleet
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-25-2013, 07:32 AM
You can try installing Wine for OSX (link: http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX). You should be able to play STO with it. (I have no idea how good Wine for OSX is. Maybe someone else has more experience with it?).
Career Officer
# 8
04-25-2013, 07:55 AM
My argument on this has always been:

The Mac userbase is probably small, 10-15% of personal computer gamers.

However, not having Mac support keeps PC users from playing because they will prefer games they can play with their friends.

Hence, games with a Mac client remove one of the potential caps on their number of Windows users.

By how much may vary but I don't know any game has topped a million players without a Mac client so I think there's a point where it makes sense and am guessing PWE marketing has primary or secondary research backing this up now, hence why Cryptic is now prioritizing it... And it probably helps having more games that could be ported.

The two big hurdles as I understand it are Direct X and that the patcher uses Internet Explorer, which is probably an artifact from when Cryptic was partnered with Microsoft. (I always wondered if that's how Stahl wound up at Cryptic because it would have aligned with when he came over and he was a Microsoft employee prior to working at Cryptic.)

(I also wondered whether Stahl knew the Neverwinter folks because he worked for WotC, which is a Hasbro company. I know Van Citters -- the CBS rep for Star Trek -- used to work for Jesse Heinig at Decipher and always wondered if he put Heinig in touch with Cryptic. These things tend to be incestuous.)
Ensign
# 9
04-25-2013, 08:29 AM
I think that the guys from Cryptic are makin' a huge mistake... nowadays every user counts. They can work around the problem with Direct X and I.E "need". But as @stoleviathan99 said, they might not have been interested at all, because of some "partnerships". We will have to wait to see.
Captain
# 10
04-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
By how much may vary but I don't know any game has topped a million players without a Mac client so I think there's a point where it makes sense and am guessing PWE marketing has primary or secondary research backing this up now, hence why Cryptic is now prioritizing it... And it probably helps having more games that could be ported.
SWTOR, for one.