Career Officer
# 1 Let's talk Aliens.
04-16-2013, 10:13 AM
For the most part, I think the changes to the trait system on the whole are a positive direction.

Things that are positive:

• More freedom of choice, and more choices for standard races (finally!)
  • Better overall traits.
  • More traits per character (yes there is mudflation, but honestly I like more traits).
  • Previously impossible combinations such as an Elusive Liberated Borg are now possible.

However, with all good things, there are some negatives.

Many players, including myself, were relegated to making aliens to fit our needs in the old system due to the many restrictions and poorly balanced racial traits.

My concern is now, that the benefits of being alien in the new system are severely diminished.

Standard races now get nearly all of the trait advantages of an alien, with much wider access to traits than previously (a former Alien advantage) ,as well as getting a single megatrait for their race that is easily worth several lesser traits on its own.

Recreating a character, or worse several, is not really a realistic option in a game with dilithium bound gear, single character unlocks like lockbox ships, fleet gear, rep gear, rep unlocks, fleet ships, etc.

So in order to at least keep the playing field even, here are some possible compromises:

1) Aliens can select 1 trait from the standard race pool of new megatraits. This would be particularly welcome for players who created "fake" Vulcans, or Andorians or who wanted to create hybrids. (I prefer this idea, personally)

or

2) Aliens receive 1 bonus trait selection. That is to say, 1 extra trait total to balance vs. the single mega-traits that have multi-trait value.

Starfleet Veteran
# 2
04-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Or we could just get a re-race token.
Career Officer
# 3
04-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwstolemyname View Post
Or we could just get a re-race token.
Well, maybe it's in the cards. Maybe it isn't.

I'd rather focus on a solution that is possible now and fairly minor in the greater scheme of things.

Captain
# 4
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Id say simply a free Re-race / re-species token. (And purchasable on Z-store.

It was a stupid idea overall to assign different fixed traits to different species, it significantly drops the freedom of choice if you want to aim more at a Ground PVE toon or a PvP Space toon.

It has always been a bad idea.
Survivor of Remus
# 5
04-16-2013, 11:13 AM
All races get 8 traits not counting racial traits aliens already get to pick 4 traits at start so you can pick 9 traits instead of 8 +1 locked
-"There is no such thing as an I win button!" "Um, Sir. Whats this button that says (I win) for then?"
Captain
# 6
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Of course Cryptic could just run with the whole "flexibility" idea and allow players to select their racial trait as they choose, regardless of which species it was originally attached to.

Obviously that would require some flavor text re-writes, but I don't see it taking all that long.
Captain
# 7
04-16-2013, 11:38 AM
People were mostly picking aliens as an exploit, it goes without saying that wasn't going to last forever.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Career Officer
# 8
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm in the camp that Aliens should not be superior (or rather, have them possibly inferior) to canonical races. I play Star Trek Online to see Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons, and Gorn, not Homer Simpson, Spider-man, and Zoidberg.

Prior to Legacy of Romulus, aliens had a lot of advantages in the trait department. I would welcome the ability to have re-species tokens implemented, but don't think we need to buff back Aliens to being arguably the best race.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18745 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Empire Veteran
# 9
04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
I'm in the camp that Aliens should not be superior (or rather, have them possibly inferior) to canonical races. I play Star Trek Online to see Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons, and Gorn, not Homer Simpson, Spider-man, and Zoidberg.
Agreed. Let's not forget Na'vis and ridiculously small characters.
Republic Veteran
# 10
04-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post

Prior to Legacy of Romulus, aliens had a lot of advantages in the trait department. I would welcome the ability to have re-species tokens implemented, but don't think we need to buff back Aliens to being arguably the best race.
Why not Zoidberg?
Formerly GT-01. Runnin' a small lite-RP casual fleet called "The Voyagers"! Message me in-game at either Salen@GT01 or Xavok@GT01 if yer interested.
Here's my neat Idea's Thread.