Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Captain
# 21
04-23-2013, 12:36 PM
I seem to survive well enough in my bug with my eng. Of the 6 days I've done the mission, I died twice.

I am using the bug because it has decent hull, 4 eng console slots and has 5 tactical console slots. I pulled off the Polaron cannons and converted it into a Transphasic torp boat for this mission to ensure that I inflict primarily kinetic damage for the Crystalline Catastrophe event.

I gathered together what I already had and bought a couple more Transphasic consoles:

Front: 2x Rapid Fire Trans torps, 2x Breen Torp Cluster Torp
Rear: 1x Transphasic Mine Mk XI Uncommon, 1x Tricobalt Mine Mk XI and KCB

Devices: Shield batteries

Eng: 3x Neutronium Alloy Mk XII, Borg Assimilated Console
Sci: Field Gen Mk XI Rare
Tactical: 5x Transphaic Compressors consoles Mk XI

Shields, Engine and Deflector: Jem'Hadar Set Mk XI

Using Torpedo spread, Dispersal Pattern Beta, Transfer Shield Strength and sometimes EPtE and EPtS.

I should probably try moving the Breen Torps to the back and have more Rapid fire Torps up front to try to get a better torp spread volley but the shared cooldowns would probably hinder this.

It's not a finely tuned set but it works well enough to buzz the Entity, do torp spread of the Rapid Trans torps and mines and survive. This has been a very fun setup of not using any beams, except the KCB, just bypassing shields on NPCs and banging the heck out of them!

Anyways, I thought I'd just share.
Please add Exploration to Star Trek Online!
Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
Star Trek Battles Channel - Play STO more like Star Trek with challenge, teamwork and FUN!
Captain
# 22
04-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirokk View Post
I seem to survive well enough in my bug with my eng. Of the 6 days I've done the mission, I died twice.

I am using the bug because it has decent hull, 4 eng console slots and has 5 tactical console slots. I pulled off the Polaron cannons and converted it into a Transphasic torp boat for this mission to ensure that I inflict primarily kinetic damage for the Crystalline Catastrophe event.

I gathered together what I already had and bought a couple more Transphasic consoles:

Front: 2x Rapid Fire Trans torps, 2x Breen Torp Cluster Torp
Rear: 1x Transphasic Mine Mk XI Uncommon, 1x Tricobalt Mine Mk XI and KCB

Devices: Shield batteries

Eng: 3x Neutronium Alloy Mk XII, Borg Assimilated Console
Sci: Field Gen Mk XI Rare
Tactical: 5x Transphaic Compressors consoles Mk XI

Shields, Engine and Deflector: Jem'Hadar Set Mk XI

Using Torpedo spread, Dispersal Pattern Beta, Transfer Shield Strength and sometimes EPtE and EPtS.

I should probably try moving the Breen Torps to the back and have more Rapid fire Torps up front to try to get a better torp spread volley but the shared cooldowns would probably hinder this.

It's not a finely tuned set but it works well enough to buzz the Entity, do torp spread of the Rapid Trans torps and mines and survive. This has been a very fun setup of not using any beams, except the KCB, just bypassing shields on NPCs and banging the heck out of them!

Anyways, I thought I'd just share.
Use 3x Projectile DOffs with your Rapid Fire Trans, and you'll be rocketing those and the Cluster torps off with alarming frequency.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Career Officer
# 23
04-23-2013, 01:49 PM
recently upgrade two toons, one runs a rapid firing photon and tetryon turret layout, the other has gotten console upgrades and a change from dominion polaron arrays to polarized disruptor arrays accx2, all i could afford for my vor'cha.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.
Captain
# 24
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxi5 View Post
Use 3x Projectile DOffs with your Rapid Fire Trans, and you'll be rocketing those and the Cluster torps off with alarming frequency.
Hmmm... since this build is so fun, I think I will go for the DOffs. I'll have to see how much they cost and try to get the rarest I can.

Thanks!
Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
Star Trek Battles Channel - Play STO more like Star Trek with challenge, teamwork and FUN!
Commander
# 25
04-23-2013, 07:58 PM
For giggles I tried 3 torps this time. Not only was it a huge dps loss I was also taking damage from my own torps. Do NOT use slow moving projectiles. Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedos were blowing up in my face 1/3rd of the time. This marks the 1st time I've ever died on this fight. I quickly went back to the following;

6x Beam Arrays
1x Cutting beam
1x 180 degree Quantum torpedo

Attack Pattern Beta II
Fire at Will II
Torpedo Spread I

or as below as they both seem to perform equally

Attack Pattern Beta I
Fire at Will III
Torpedo Spread I

I've tried quite a few different setups and the above always does way more damage then anything else I've tried. Having to either stop or slow down to face the target to dps on this fight really sucks. Much easier to broadside for dps and survivability is ensured if you keep moving.

Last edited by dragonsbite; 04-23-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Career Officer
# 26
04-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fovrel View Post
A thing I am wondering about is how are destructables like heavy plasmas, tricobaits and the breen cluster performing? It looks to me they get destructed and never reach the target, the CE. Anyhow, I have stopped using those.
The large shards spawn from the CE so if you're unlucky, they'll get in the way of your slow torps and take the hit instead.

My Oddy's loadout is 2 BAs and 2 Q-torps fore and 1 BA, a Cutting Beam and 2 Q-torp aft. Have Torp Spead 3 & 1. My consoles are Q-torp buffers. I've come in 1st place 5-6 times so far.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Last edited by dracounguis; 04-23-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Captain
# 27
04-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
The large shards spawn from the CE so if you're unlucky, they'll get in the way of your slow torps and take the hit instead.

My Oddy's loadout is 2 BAs and 2 Q-torps fore and 1 BA, a Cutting Beam and 2 Q-torp aft. Have Torp Spead 3 & 1. My consoles are Q-torp buffers. I've come in 1st place 5-6 times so far.
What do you think contributes the most to your success?

I usually just go straight in for the CE itself with my bug and continue to make straffing runs with Transphasic Torp Spreads, turn and use the Breen cluster torps as I leave. The only reason I use Transphasic is because I already had a few of the Rapid Fire ones. Also use the KCB continuously.
Captain
# 28
04-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsbite View Post
For giggles I tried 3 torps this time. Not only was it a huge dps loss I was also taking damage from my own torps. Do NOT use slow moving projectiles. Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedos were blowing up in my face 1/3rd of the time.
Actually, I consider that a feature of that torp. It's how I massage my hull down for a GDF bonus.
Career Officer
# 29
04-25-2013, 09:03 AM
I'd have to say, my Vesta (with my sci) is ideal for CE. The Vesta consoles are a huge bonus against it.

The Fermion Field is great for healing shard damage and/or shields when the CE takes a particular dislike of me.

The Multidimensional Graviton Shield is fantastic, especially when the CE gets iritable toward the later part of the mission, for sending some nice damage right back at the CE.

The Quantum Focused Phaser isn't quite so great, but is still useful for smacking any Tholian ship that is being particuarly bothersome.

And the Quantum Focused Shield Bubble means I don't need to run off out of range of the shockwave - throw the shield up, zero damage taken, and can resume making the CE eat quantum torpeoes etc.

Add to that the Elite Scorpion fighters doing their thing and one has a very nice choice of abilities.

I've managed 1st place twice, 2nd place twice and don't recall how often I placed third.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
# 30
04-25-2013, 10:57 AM
I have placed 1st 6 times with a jem dreadnought, JHAS pets, anti proton BB/BA, Quantum Torp and Cutting Beam. I have a few 2nd and 3rd places finished with the dread as well. I have a 3rd place finish with a JHAS Polaron build and also a 3rd in a Chimera with a phaser build.

It very well could be my hangar pets are giving me a slight dps edge over others in the mission as I constantly spawn them in attack mode on the entity.

I'm currently 12/14 on the mission and looking forward to the payday.