Captain
# 11
04-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Oh, I got the sarcasm. I just thought you were implying that the Tal-Shiar - Iconian connection was ridiculous.
By itself it isn't. Desperate group trying to hold onto power allying with mysterious big bad is tad cliche for me, but not outside the realm of reasonableness. The fact that anything that happens in STO is apparently linked to the Iconians on the other hand...that's ridiculous.

They've become effectively the Kevin Bacon of STO.
Career Officer
# 12
04-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
By itself it isn't. Desperate group trying to hold onto power allying with mysterious big bad is tad cliche for me
Do we know that the Iconians are BIG and BAD? Does the Tal-Shiar are know that? We assume the Iconians are the BBEG, but if they fulfilled the BB part, why aren't *they* doing all the footwork? Perhaps the Iconians still exist, but are using guile and manipulation to cause the predominant species and nations to self destruction, making them weak enough for the Iconian forces to mop up.
Quote:
The fact that anything that happens in STO is apparently linked to the Iconians on the other hand...that's ridiculous.
From what little information we have, a comparison of the Iconians to B5's Shadows would not be inaccurate.
Captain
# 13
04-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Do we know that the Iconians are BIG and BAD? Does the Tal-Shiar are know that? We assume the Iconians are the BBEG, but if they fulfilled the BB part, why aren't *they* doing all the footwork? Perhaps the Iconians still exist, but are using guile and manipulation to cause the predominant species and nations to self destruction, making them weak enough for the Iconian forces to mop up.
Call me simplistic, but if a species/faction/band of clowns decides to start a series of intergalactic wars for their own benefit, and demands that anyone they cross paths with bow down to them (from the current missions where Iconians make cameos), I wouldn't exactly put them in the "friendly" category.

In addition, overwhelming force against a fresh opponent isn't always the best way to win a war.

Quote:
From what little information we have, a comparison of the Iconians to B5's Shadows would not be inaccurate.
True. However, a huge part of what made the story surrounding the Shadows work was the revelation of their relationship with the Vorlons and the other First Ones, and the ensuing shenanigans that happened. I don't see that happening with STO.
Captain
# 14
04-17-2013, 09:05 AM
I think I remember reading that DStahl wishes there hadn't been a Cardassian lockbox, since he has a wish of eventually adding in a Cardassian faction.

If he's still holding onto that wish, I wouldn't count on seeing more Cardassian ships and items on the Lobi store.
Career Officer
# 15
04-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Quote:
I wouldn't exactly put them in the "friendly" category.
I didn't say they were friendly
Quote:
In addition, overwhelming force against a fresh opponent isn't always the best way to win a war.
If they are a BBEG (Big, Bad, Evil Guy), then this is feasible. If they are only an EG, they must resort to more subtle tactics.
Captain
# 16
04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:
If they are a BBEG (Big, Bad, Evil Guy), then this is feasible. If they are only an EG, they must resort to more subtle tactics.
I think you're misunderstanding my terminology. "Big Bad" doesn't necessarily equate to overwhelming military force commanded by some evil empire of doom. It's (at least as I've seen/used it) more of a colloquialism for the primary bad guy/faction, irrespective of the level of force able to be brought to bear.
Career Officer
# 17
04-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Quote:
I think you're misunderstanding my terminology. "Big Bad" doesn't necessarily equate to overwhelming military force commanded by some evil empire of doom. It's (at least as I've seen/used it) more of a colloquialism for the primary bad guy/faction, irrespective of the level of force able to be brought to bear.
Primary Bad Guys are primary *because* they're big and powerful enough for you to consider them primary.
Rihannsu
# 18
04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
I think I remember reading that DStahl wishes there hadn't been a Cardassian lockbox, since he has a wish of eventually adding in a Cardassian faction.
If wishes were horses they would have to change the name from Los Gatos to Los Caballos.
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!
Captain
# 19
04-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
If wishes were horses they would have to change the name from Los Gatos to Los Caballos.
Well, he did get his wish of a Romulan faction (and a supposedly complete KDF experience).

Depending on how successful LoR ends up being, it might not be impossible to see a Cardassian faction appear later on.
Captain
# 20
04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Primary Bad Guys are primary *because* they're big and powerful enough for you to consider them primary.
Not in the least. I can think of multiple big bads who weren't big bads solely on their martial strength.