Ensign
I love the Galaxy Class starship. I was born in 1987 and literally grew up watching TNG. That show taught me so much about life, wisdom, and morality. As a result the Galaxy Class became a sentimental symbol of doing what is right, of friendship, of compassion, and of hope. I still have my model of the Ent-D in my room and look at it from time to time to remind myself of who I want to become.

So when STO allowed me to fly a Galaxy Class ship around the galaxy I was very pleased. I was disappointed at launch that they made you take the Sovereign Class at T5, but was relieved when they added the Gal-R. I have flown that ship now for nearly 4 years.

Except it isn't feasible in the endgame. My character is a Tac officer as I do like to play DPS, but I don't mind playing Tank either. I fit my Gal-R out to be a very good tank. Except it has no DPS. And the STFs and Fleet Events all DPS fests.

Every time I enter an STF or Fleet Event I feel the other team members sigh as they see I'm in a Gal-R. I provide very little DPS and Tanks are no use in these events.

So I tried to make my Gal-R better at DPS. It sort of worked, but at the cost of my tank. So after nearly 4 years of trying to make it work, I have concluded I can not. Until Cryptic refits the Gal-R (IF they do), I can't fly it.

That being said, I have no idea what I should fly. I should probably get into the DPS fest, but at the same time I do not want to fly a glass cannon. So does anyone have any suggestions as to what ship I should fly?

Last edited by mikekoder; 12-10-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
12-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekoder View Post
I love the Galaxy Class starship. I was born in 1987 and literally grew up watching TNG. That show taught me so much about life, wisdom, and morality. As a result the Galaxy Class became a sentimental symbol of doing what is right, of friendship, of compassion, and of hope. I still have my model of the Ent-D in my room and look at it from time to time to remind myself of who I want to become.

So when STO allowed me to fly a Galaxy Class ship around the galaxy I was very pleased. I was disappointed at launch that they made you take the Sovereign Class at T5, but was relieved when they added the Gal-R. I have flown that ship now for nearly 4 years.

Except it isn't feasible in the endgame. My character is a Tac officer as I do like to play DPS, but I don't mind playing Tank either. I fit my Gal-R out to be a very good tank. Except it has no DPS. And the STFs and Fleet Events all DPS fests.

Every time I enter an STF or Fleet Event I feel the other team members sigh as they see I'm in a Gal-R. I provide very little DPS and Tanks are no use in these events.

So I tried to make my Gal-R better at DPS. It sort of worked, but at the cost of my tank. So after nearly 4 years of trying to make it work, I have concluded I can not. Until Cryptic refits the Gal-R (IF they do), I can't fly it.

That being said, I have no idea what I should fly. I should probably get into the DPS fest, but at the same time I do not want to fly a glass cannon. So does anyone have any suggestions as to what ship I should fly?
I entirely agree.

Sadly, it's unlikely that anything will ever be done about this; the long-running, 478 page (4779 posts at the time of posting) 'What is your beef with the Galaxy' thread has been all but ignored by the Devs.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Ensign
# 3
12-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Yea I noticed that thread. Very disappointing. Maybe if we start a Kickstarter to fund the revamp so they don't have to pull money out of their wallet???? lol. Probably not.
Captain
# 4
12-10-2013, 08:11 AM
You are no more special than all the players who want to fly a Constitution at end game.
Captain
# 5
12-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerstorm View Post
You are no more special than all the players who want to fly a Constitution at end game.
Not a constitution, I'd like to fly an Exeter at end game.
Captain Marrik Steele, USS Nike(Avenger)
Captain Lunamaria Hawke, IKS Eclipse(Varanus)
Commander Altair RRW Anduril(Ak'rif Warbird)
Ensign
# 6
12-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Did I claim I was special? That was quite the rude comment, really. The Galaxy IS an endgame, T5 ship. It has a Fleet Variant. Yet it is not a viable endgame ship given current stats. I wasn't even complaining about that though. I was lamenting the fact and then asked for suggestions on what I should be flying.
Career Officer
# 7
12-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Quote:
No-one said we thought we were.

However, there is a difference in the issue here. As things stands, the reason for no Consitution class at endgame is CBS won't allow it, which is another issue in itself.

The issue with the Galaxy is that whilst it IS available at endgame, it's not really viable in it's current form(s).

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 8
12-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekoder View Post
The Galaxy IS an endgame, T5 ship. It has a Fleet Variant. Yet it is not a viable endgame ship given current stats. I wasn't even complaining about that though. I was lamenting the fact and then asked for suggestions on what I should be flying.
If you are looking for suggestions, try flying this:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...omulanplasma_0

You won't get close to the damage output of an avenger, but between the Fleet science console +Plasma bonus and the two piece Romulan Weapon set bonuses you will have a little over 3.5 Tactical consoles on the ship. The two Tactical consoles with the fleet icon represent Fleet Vulnerability Identifiers (+1.6% critical chance). The duty officers and everything is listed there or in the Description/Notes section.

The only downside of the build is it's lack of Tactical Team. If you have trouble remaining alive without tactical team while flying this setup, I'd suggest running Tactical Team and Fire at Will II or Attack Pattern Beta II instead of the listed Fire at Will I and Attack Pattern Beta I. Other than that, it will help you deal a significant amount of damage.
Captain
# 9
12-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Sooo... having an optimal way of grinding is better than flying your favorite ship?

Seems backwards to me.

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!
Ensign
# 10
12-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
Sooo... having an optimal way of grinding is better than flying your favorite ship?

Seems backwards to me.
When the grind takes so long and you get bored with the game quickly, the answer is yes.