Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,259
Greetings All,

I've never been one to harp about emersion in an MMO but the fact that we have a currency called Lobi that we use when dealing with Ferengi does break Star Trek emersion for me.

I understand that Lobi is the 2nd major source of revenue generation for Cryptic but I think we should be able to find a way to place Gold Pressed Latinum in the Lobi role and still keep earning potential for Cryptic.

Suppose we take all the current GPL that the players have and that can be won from playing Dabo and rename it Gold Pressed Latinum Chips or (GPLC).

Cryptic could add to the conversion console that is found in Quarks the ability to convert GPLC to Bars of Gold Pressed Latinum which could be used in the Ferengi store.

Lets say that the conversion rate is 100000 GPLC - 1 Bar of Gold Pressed Latinum and the converter only does one Bar at a time and there's a conversion fee of 500 Dilithum each time the converter is used.

I'm sure that the numbers could be tweaked to whatever Cryptic felt would still make them money but the end result would be that items in the Ferengi Store could now be priced in Bars of Gold Pressed Latinum and for players willing to do the Grind, Bars of Gold Pressed Latinum could be earned via a combination of Grinding GPLC and Dilithium.

Thanks for your time
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,844
# 2
04-17-2013, 12:39 PM
converting a currency from has to be made via guaranteeing someone spending real money somewhere along the line to a currency that can be farmed rather easily with limitless in game currency for free and 'refined' with a currency that is also essentially free unless gotten off the exchange..... yeah i dont see them doing it unless it takes a whole days dilithium refining to get one bar of latinum.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 65
# 3 Purchasing Lobis with GPL
04-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Better still, it would be nice to be able to buy Lobi Crystals with GPL.

I would expect the cost of GPL for 1 Lobi Crystal to be high. Maybe 2000 GPL to buy 1 Lobi Crystal. I would like to be able to buy those Consumable Ground/Space Device items with Lobi Crystals which I paid for with GPL.

Honestly, I expect any true Ferengi to see the attraction of parting with Lobis for GPL.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,259
# 4
04-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmacius View Post
Better still, it would be nice to be able to buy Lobi Crystals with GPL.

I would expect the cost of GPL for 1 Lobi Crystal to be high. Maybe 2000 GPL to buy 1 Lobi Crystal. I would like to be able to buy those Consumable Ground/Space Device items with Lobi Crystals which I paid for with GPL.

Honestly, I expect any true Ferengi to see the attraction of parting with Lobis for GPL.
2000? it would be more like 100000 - 200000 for 1 Lobi.

Your method would be more Efficient than what I suggested.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,927
# 5
04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
I can see one way to do this.

First, they'd need to disable all means of getting GPL before making the announcement.

After that, they'd need to announce a conversion scheme from old GPL into new GPL and Lobi into new GPL. Or maybe just refund all existing GPL as EC and provide people with high conversions with GPL thank you bundles.

Then, they'd need to make it so that, going forward, Dabo uses dilithium as its input rather than EC. This has the effect of indirect monetization.

My overall preference here would be to sell GPL starter bundles for dilithium and then only have GPL itself be used in Dabo.

Then reverse how Dabo works. It currently pays out 75% or so of whatever you put in. Which makes it a bad use of time. Instead, I'd make it pay out something like 103% of what you put in on average, with chances to lose and win but with an average return over time of around 103% return per hour. The most common game may be a loss but wins would be big and often enough that you get a small profit over time.

And, in turn, sell probability modifier consumables on the C-Store similar to the illegal gambling devices seen on DS9. These would modify your average hourly winnings by, say, up to 110% what you put in for 15 minutes or 20 bars of latinum, whichever comes first. For a price of around 100 ZEN.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,239
# 6
04-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Instead of winning bars of Latinum in Dabo, you could win slips. (Also, all current latinum is converted to slips.)

100 slips of gold-pressed latinum are equal to one strip.

20 strips equal one bar.

Lets say 10 bars equal one brick.

One brick equals one Lobi.
I love nice long walks in the country.
Especially if they're taken by people who annoy me!
Ar ais olc leis an doer olc
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,259
# 7
04-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I can see one way to do this.

First, they'd need to disable all means of getting GPL before making the announcement.

After that, they'd need to announce a conversion scheme from old GPL into new GPL and Lobi into new GPL. Or maybe just refund all existing GPL as EC and provide people with high conversions with GPL thank you bundles.

Then, they'd need to make it so that, going forward, Dabo uses dilithium as its input rather than EC. This has the effect of indirect monetization.

My overall preference here would be to sell GPL starter bundles for dilithium and then only have GPL itself be used in Dabo.

Then reverse how Dabo works. It currently pays out 75% or so of whatever you put in. Which makes it a bad use of time. Instead, I'd make it pay out something like 103% of what you put in on average, with chances to lose and win but with an average return over time of around 103% return per hour. The most common game may be a loss but wins would be big and often enough that you get a small profit over time.

And, in turn, sell probability modifier consumables on the C-Store similar to the illegal gambling devices seen on DS9. These would modify your average hourly winnings by, say, up to 110% what you put in for 15 minutes or 20 bars of latinum, whichever comes first. For a price of around 100 ZEN.
That's very interesting and could work.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,259
# 8
04-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkirkfan View Post
Instead of winning bars of Latinum in Dabo, you could win slips. (Also, all current latinum is converted to slips.)

100 slips of gold-pressed latinum are equal to one strip.

20 strips equal one bar.

Lets say 10 bars equal one brick.

One brick equals one Lobi.
I like this idea has well.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 351
# 9
04-17-2013, 01:31 PM
GPL is forever tainted after the little mishap during the 2011 Winter Event. Cryptic would be silly to ever let us do anything useful with our GPL.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,960
# 10
04-17-2013, 01:37 PM
It will never happen because you can get latinum without spending Zen, whereas to get lobi you have to open boxes, the keys to which cost Zen. Because of that everything you can get with Lobis has a real world cash value, while Latinum is the most worthless currency in the game. They are not likely to sacrifice that source of revenue by allowing you to get Lobi without Zen being involved somewhere in the process.
Part of reason for that is CBS requiring that certain items like ships should be rare and difficult to acquire, the rest is, well we know what the rest is, it's about making money.
Frankly I would rather buy Lobi by the box full straight from the C-Store than screw around with lock boxes.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM.