Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
Yes that's right, starting next year with episode 7, Disney will have a new star wars film every year that follows.

read more here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/cinem....php?id=103129

Now I really hope this works out in the best way, but hey it's Disney, it's Star Wars, and it should be a fun ride right? after all how many flops has Disney made over the years?
Captain
# 2
04-18-2013, 06:27 AM
Considering Disney, through the Marvel labal, has done something similar over the last few years with all the various folks involved under the Avengers franchise, I don't necessarily see it as being quite so ridiculous.

There's a lot of stories to be told in the SW 'verse. They don't all need to focus on the same group of folks every single time.
Captain
# 3
04-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Considering Disney, through the Marvel labal, has done something similar over the last few years with all the various folks involved under the Avengers franchise, I don't necessarily see it as being quite so ridiculous.

There's a lot of stories to be told in the SW 'verse. They don't all need to focus on the same group of folks every single time.
My concern is that Movies of this caliber require more then just a years work. The Marvel/Avengers movies are about 2-3 years to make, assuming you start from pre-production up to release.

Not sure even Disney has the resources to crank out a quality sci-fi movie once every year.
Empire Veteran
# 4
04-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Time for bad quality..
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
# 5
04-18-2013, 06:53 AM
I'll give them two chances before I pass judgment. But I love the franchise so I', a little spooked.

If they would just adapt the books (Timothy Zahn trilogy or even the X-Wing series) into movies then they could win big.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Career Officer
# 6
04-18-2013, 07:19 AM
If the adapt some of the better EU books it'd be great. It would suck if they completely invalidate the EU stuff though. ("Oh, Luke dies right after because *EXPLOSIONS*")

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 7
04-18-2013, 08:32 AM
They would have to be running in continuous production and even then I don't see how they could release annually. This isn't Herbie The Love Bug or The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes that we're talking about here. A big part of the franchise is the effects sequences and those are the most time consuming.
If this is going to be for a short run, 2 or 3 years then maybe, but if they turn things into a sausage mill operation spitting out a movie every year I don't see how what comes out is going to be any good. Just getting good actors to commit to working on the title for more than a few years will be a big deal and a bunch of mediocre no-names stumbling around with light sabers is likely to do very bad things to the franchise.
Captain
# 8
04-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Bit more info and rumours that Yoda maybe the focus of 1 of them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22197797

Disney has said a new Star Wars film will appear yearly from 2015, alternating between new episodes in the space saga and spinoff character films.

The announcement, made at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, was reported by Comingsoon.

Star Trek director JJ Abrams will begin the new cycle of movies with Episode VII, from a script by Little Miss Sunshine writer Michael Arndt.

Star Wars creator George Lucas sold his film production company Lucasfilm to Disney last year for $4.05bn (?2.5bn).

The latest announcement was made by Walt Disney Co chairman Alan Horn, at the annual movie theatre convention CinemaCon in Las Vegas.

In February, Disney announced that alongside a new trilogy, a series of films built around existing characters from the Star Wars universe were in development.

It is rumoured the first stand-alone film could focus on the diminutive Jedi master Yoda.

The spinoff films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg.

Yoda statue outside Lucasfilm's San Francisco offices The character of Yoda was voiced by film director and puppeteer Frank Oz
Kasdan worked on the scripts of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi - the second and third instalments of the first Star Wars trilogy while Kinberg is best known for his work on X-Men: The Last Stand and Guy Ritchie's hit reboot of Sherlock Holmes, starring Robert Downey Jr.

'Bad feeling'

Fan reaction to Disney's announcement on social networks and film websites have been mixed. "Ridiculous", tweeted The Mail Man, "I've got a bad feeling about this," remarked Kurt Brookes, using one of the film's famous lines.

"New Star Wars every year? My kids are overjoyed," said Bryan Hitch.

Writing for Forbes magazine, Carol Pinchefsky, said: "The Twitterati are already concerned that there will be a Star Wars overload, that the movies will be "force marched" out as fast as Disney can make them.

"After all, Disney isn't typically known for pumping out entries in a franchise this rapidly (Pirates of the Caribbean notwithstanding)."

The original Star Wars film, released in the UK in 1977, starred Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford as they took on the evil Empire "in a galaxy, far, far away".

In a recent interview George Lucas hinted at a cast reunion, revealing the trio were "in final stages of negotiation".
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html
Captain
# 9
04-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
If the adapt some of the better EU books it'd be great. It would suck if they completely invalidate the EU stuff though. ("Oh, Luke dies right after because *EXPLOSIONS*")
Fortunately, SW is one of the few sci-fi 'verses that doesn't futz with time travel. Hopefully JJ will remember that before creating another black hole.
Career Officer
# 10
04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
from what i know of "the hobbit" film series, its based on a book unknown how much of it is actually from the book and the rest is purposely changed to make it engaging like the fight scenes and cgi. but to cu it call short the next two are out in dec 2013 and dec 2014 the second part is to finish the story and the last part is a sort of clipshow.

look at law and order and CSI, they have all played their cards on a variation on a theme and even they ran out of content after 10 seasons.

stargate sg1 also hit that brick wall after 10 seasons seeing no point continuing. NCIS is probably not far off that either.

the point in the end is that releasing a film every year may sound good, but the content and the theme will start to become stale. from that i deduce it wont be a proper story but a cash cow to rake money in off the back of the star wars name for as long as possible.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.