Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 11
04-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I don't see how they can make any more movies without overwriting at least some of the EU. The Star Wars universe is pretty much filled up, as long as they keep accepting books and video games as canon.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Career Officer
# 12
04-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Star Wars has always been rather explicit about cannon. All materials that aren't the movies are Extended Universe, which is why I'm concerned how much will be invalidated with new movies.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 13
04-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
Star Wars has always been rather explicit about cannon. All materials that aren't the movies are Extended Universe, which is why I'm concerned how much will be invalidated with new movies.
Considering how much Lucas overrwrote with the Clone Wars, it's nothing new.
Captain
# 14
04-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Mirrorchaos, I highly recommend that you read "The Hobbit" - it should be available at your local library, if you don't want to buy a copy. Then go on to the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. They're some fine writing. You'll spot a lot of differences between the books and their movies, but in the case of LotR, at least (haven't seen "The Hobbit" yet), the changes were made for cinematic reasons - that is, to make a better movie.

However, the various Tolkien-based movies were able to be released on an annual basis because Peter Jackson insisted on filming each trilogy as one long film shoot, so that everything was in the can before the very first theatrical release. For one thing, that avoids the possibility of characters like Legolas, essentially deathless, being forced to age because the actor is visibly older. (It also avoids having to worry about what happens to your actors between films - you've already got the performance you need.)

As long as the schedule Disney wants isn't a series of movies all centering on the same characters, said schedule might - might - be doable. I'll believe it when I see it, though.
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.
Career Officer
# 15
04-18-2013, 11:14 AM
The EU sucks. worms that "eat" the force? "LuUke"? Unneeded back stories on every extra that had one millisecond of screen time? bah.
Captain
# 16
04-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
The EU sucks. worms that "eat" the force? "LuUke"? Unneeded back stories on every extra that had one millisecond of screen time? bah.
Worms that eat the Force? Wtf?

Also, 'Luuke Skywalker' made perfect sense - if C'baoth couldn't have the real Skywalker, he'd have a clone with equal capabilities. One that would be far more willing to accept him as his superior.

You see something similar in the The Force Unleashed game series - Vader keeps cloning in TFU2 until he gets what he needs.

And by the way, what you call 'unneeded back stories', I find superior to "unnamed this, unnamed that" that you find on Memory Alpha. Speaking of which, doesn't Memory Beta contain the same sort of info, from the same kinds of sources?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
04-18-2013, 11:36 AM
At least there will be more Star Was to say ," your worse than Star Trek" to.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Career Officer
# 18
04-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Mirrorchaos, I highly recommend that you read "The Hobbit" - it should be available at your local library, if you don't want to buy a copy. Then go on to the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. They're some fine writing. You'll spot a lot of differences between the books and their movies, but in the case of LotR, at least (haven't seen "The Hobbit" yet), the changes were made for cinematic reasons - that is, to make a better movie.
thats not what im getting at, some film makers base their films on real events but only 5% of it is actually from the real event and the rest of it exaggerated or made up in order to make it watchable.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Captain
# 19
04-18-2013, 11:30 PM
FRANCHISE DECAY AHOY. This is not going to end well. Nooooooot aaaaat aaaaall.

Quote:
It gets worse. Jedi rabbits, Ghost robots, Luke going mad with power, the Emperors Evil(er) clone, and an almighty solar system destroying superweapon...

....that looks like an Ice Cream Cone.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 20
04-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Quote:
The EU sucks.
Yeah, seriously. A single-currency economy that ties the economic output of Germany to that of Greece and Spain without regard for-

Oh, you meant Star Wars books.

Yeah, those suck too.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics