Lt. Commander
# 11
01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
I get the problem on Windows XP; system shuts down at the Federation logo on login.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieScream View Post
I'm running Vista 64 premium. Happened again just now, super annoying having to restart!
Vista 64 premium, 8800GT, Core 2 Quad, 4G RAM, and crashing/reboots only started after patch. Reinstalled several of the hogg files, but same problem. Runs everything else cranked up, no problems, not that that necessarily means much, but there it is.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Warren
Vista 64 premium, 8800GT, Core 2 Quad, 4G RAM, and crashing/reboots only started after patch. Reinstalled several of the hogg files, but same problem. Runs everything else cranked up, no problems, not that that necessarily means much, but there it is.
I just don't see why the game would make the computer just up and die instantly, other than over heating, but if it is causing overheat, I'm worried about it damaging my rig!

Nothing I've ever thrown at this puter has ever made it overheat and die.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
I have the problem on Windows Vista home premium, 32 bit. 8600MGT etc, typical Dell XPS M1530. Played perfectly (crash-wise) from start of closed beta until now used to play WoW perfectly, but now that's screwed up at the same time at STO, so i'm confused.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh, every single game session ends this way now. Maybe 20-30 or so minutes in. Just going along, or fighting in space then bam, she dies.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-14-2010, 07:46 PM
It just rebooted me again after about 30 secs in-game, so I'm out until there is a patch for this. Already done everything I know to do on my end, updating and then backdating drivers, etc, etc. currently running the 190.62 drivers as I'd read they were more stable than the current ones.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
If that's the case, it would possibly indicate a PSU issue. When a GPU draws enough for too long and the PS isn't up to the task, that's the usual result...an instant off. It shouldn't be an overheating issue as I don't recall any card causing that to happen, only when it revolved around power.

What're the specs on the PSU?

And I'm sure you're going to say that it doesn't do it to other games. In the case of the issue with the engine cranking the crap out of everyone's card, it's causing the card to work hard as hell for whatever reason, hence draw a ton of juice.

I'm willing to bet the old drivers make the issue not as bad as opposed to fixing the issue altogether.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavionJain
If that's the case, it would possibly indicate a PSU issue. When a GPU draws enough for too long and the PS isn't up to the task, that's the usual result...an instant off. It shouldn't be an overheating issue as I don't recall any card causing that to happen, only when it revolved around power.

What're the specs on the PSU?

And I'm sure you're going to say that it doesn't do it to other games. In the case of the issue with the engine cranking the crap out of everyone's card, it's causing the card to work hard as hell for whatever reason, hence draw a ton of juice.

I'm willing to bet the old drivers make the issue not as bad as opposed to fixing the issue altogether.
Whats the PSU and how do I identify it?

I have the latest ATI drivers, from Dec 12 or so.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I used to have the same problem with WOW. The problem was that i was using a netgear wireless usb adapter. Once i got rid of it, the problem went away. As soon as the game tried to access the internet it crashed.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-14-2010, 08:27 PM
This same problem started for me a couple of days ago. I had no problem whatsoever in CBT.
I can run other games with out suffering a shut down.

I disagree with those that claim this is a GPU overheat or PSU problem.

I'm running a case with no less than 8 fans, 2 of which are blowing onto the video cards.
I'm running a PC Power & Cooling 850W PSU and have never in 8 months suffered a complete shutdown while playing a game.

My system consists of:

Intel C2D E6850 @ 3Ghz
4GB RAM
2x Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB in X-fire
4x 92mm oil bearing fans
4x 120mm oil bearing fans

I've got 2 drives, one configured in Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and the other in Windows XP Professional 32 bit. I had this problem occur on both OSes.

I've tested my PSU, ran temp readings, my vid cards never went over 71C.

I don't know what's causing it but I do know it's not my system.