Commander
# 1001
05-13-2013, 04:59 PM
and the sad truth is cryptic doesn't see it...
Andy@andy30
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1615554000&dateline=1  365460663
Captain
# 1002
05-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balordezul View Post
"singularity cores focus on science-based stats and modifying a Warbird-class ship?s" .... well that is not correct.

With two VA Romulans under my belt and a a blue sig core now on my ship I don't think the W-cores and S-cores are equal. Currently the W-cores are stupid good and we will see a huge boost to Fed and KDF ships.

I think it is time to remove the -40 power from Romulan ships and if not now give it a month post the LoR release and people will oh crap this needs to be fix the W-cores are very OP.
Given that the Fed already has more/better power bonuses from their cores, they might want to crank the Romulan power deficit back to -5 in each subsystem.
Ensign
# 1003
05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
This is my two cents based on my play experience with the Rommies so far. Even with the loss of power to each subsystem, Romulan ships are still very effective in combat. Yes, you do have to be more aware of your power levels when playing, and when setting up your build, but thats fine. Adapt and overcome. Do things differently than you do with your fed and kdf characters. Use less skills that depend on power. Maybe balance your power differently. Put some power from engines into other systems, and use that cloak when you really need to add turn or defense. I think thats part of the intent. However, while I dont think base 40 power is too steep of a penalty, I do agree that the benefits in exchange for that penalty need some work. Only the heal and overcharge seem to have any use, except maybe for plasma shockwave at low levels when dealing with fighters. These powers need to be looked at again, and something needs to be done to make them more appealing. as it is now, my singularity powers spend a lot of time flashing, fully charged, with the heal on standby as an emergency button, just in case. I do feel that raising the power bonus of a subsystem given by the singularity to 15 is much more in line with what was originally intended, because now its enough where I do weigh the costs of losing all that power versus the use of the ability.

tl;dr- Long story short, I think the power penalty is fine IF all the powers of the singularity core felt viable. Unfortunately only 2 do, and even then, 1 is far more useful than the other. But over all this system is on the right track.
Commander
# 1004
05-13-2013, 05:39 PM
theres a couple reason i respectfully disagree veepnova one of those being the power makes the science ship a complete and utter waste of time and 2 while the romulans are paying power away the klingons and federation are gaining about 10-20 power themselves... this puts romulan ships at a 50-60 power loss comparatively(rough guestimates on the power gain its somewhere in that ball park)
Andy@andy30
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1615554000&dateline=1  365460663
Captain
# 1005
05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
The plasma shockwave is great. The only major issue with it is that it doesn't scale very well.

At the start, the blast can kill enemies. Midway through leveling the blast is only decent damage, but you can count on your enemies burning to death or near death. As you reach the end game it's not quite as hot. Now I don't think it should be an instadeath button, but for the long cooldown imposed and the power hit, I think it should still be dangerous at late game. Conversely, at early game, it needs toned down a lot.

I haven't had too many problems with warp shadow, though maybe it should give us a bit of a threat debuff. I didn't look too closeley but does it still not show our full name on the shadows? if not, then it is still useless for PvP.

Now, I do like the power bonus cores get for singularity charge. It's a good bonus, and does take some of the edge off the power bonus, and it less situational than the abilities. it's also nice to essentially dial a bonus, for instance, I use the aux boosting cores on more the science hybrid ships to give them an aux bonus like true science ships have. The bigger issue, I think, is not just the -10 power per system, it's that M/AM cores also give those synergy bonuses as well as half of the engineering bonuses being power related on top for the efficiency bonus to a system based on a core. This raises the power gap a bit. on top of that, the recent dev blog says the battery power of singularity cores burn our charge. While that sounds like a good use for the charge (basically a 6th singularity ability), it also means we are trading our continuous power bonus from that charge for a temporary spike. Feds and KDF have no such tradeoff in the battery affix as far as I am aware (testing has been difficult since cores don't drop much and dil store only goes to blue)

Again, though, I recomend we be able to choose what strenght we fire our singularoty powers at and only discharge part of the power. it should but the charging on a cooldown, but we'd still have some charge to fire something else or otherwise reap some power bonus, for when we only need a small shockwave for clearing fighters or a little bit of a tanking or damage buff despite being fully charged.

Last edited by raptor63549; 05-13-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Ensign
# 1006
05-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamipoi View Post
stealing power isnt the solution to the "balance problem"

the abilities are only useful in such specific cases it hurts to think about it....but they will ignor all feedback as they usualy do i doubt we will see a dev response to our pleas here.

but if one does happen along please explain your thoughts on why drain power from the romulans

explain what exactly the warp cores get list their effects side by side with that of the antimatter cores.

please enlighten us to things that make you tick so we can more thoroughly discuss this.

P.S.
the abilities in their current form are nothing spectacular and we pay for them with cores that don't do the following

A>W,+5maximum powerlevel,+5powerlevel
isntead we get things that buff these abilities and if we wait 2minuts buff 1 powerlevel

is that not balanced in its own right?

and yes the cloak must have a balancing factor -5power fine thats acceptable

Sorry, it didn't word my statement properly. What I meant to say is while the powers were in cool down (currently about 2 minutes) you could enforce the drain then so you won't be stuck with the drain all of the time.
Rihannsu
# 1007
05-13-2013, 06:38 PM
So far I've only used the first to powers. At early levels, the shockwave, and the heal both seem useful.

I like them so far.
---------------------------------
Formerly Christopher_Chase
I've been here since Open Beta
Rihannsu
# 1008
05-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamipoi View Post
stealing power isnt the solution to the "balance problem"

the abilities are only useful in such specific cases it hurts to think about it....but they will ignor all feedback as they usualy do i doubt we will see a dev response to our pleas here.

but if one does happen along please explain your thoughts on why drain power from the romulans

explain what exactly the warp cores get list their effects side by side with that of the antimatter cores.

please enlighten us to things that make you tick so we can more thoroughly discuss this.

P.S.
the abilities in their current form are nothing spectacular and we pay for them with cores that don't do the following

A>W,+5maximum powerlevel,+5powerlevel
isntead we get things that buff these abilities and if we wait 2minuts buff 1 powerlevel

is that not balanced in its own right?

and yes the cloak must have a balancing factor -5power fine thats acceptable
Battle Cloak is balanced before the power drain as most of the Romulan ships have a slower turn rate to the counterparts. Just a friendly reminder we are kicked where it hurts out of fear but he warp cores are already the balance combines that we get no power when our core is offline. Plus the powers are fun but only minor at best.
Career Officer
# 1009
05-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Anyone elses shield regen pretty much disappear with the latest (may 13th) patch?

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Empire Veteran
I played for more then two hours then got kicked out on Saturday, when I tried to get back in I was given a ticket. Evidently there were too many people playing, being a gold member I thought I would have first pick. anyway, I waiting a long time, but was never allowed back in.