Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,192
# 311
04-22-2013, 03:47 AM
But a 45 degree weapons have higher dmg to compesante the supposedly harder aiming. Now let's be serious, anyone in escort has trouble to stay 100% of the time on target ? Why should DHC crits hit like photon torpdoes ?

I'm not sure, but this chain of changes, while claiming to buff cruisers, will have exact the same opposite effect. An escort will still pound you while you cannot turn, and when EptS is gone, then you might as well abandon ship.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 948
# 312
04-22-2013, 03:58 AM
The reason why I think the D'Deridex and Schimitar should have those boff slots is because those ships are completely different from each other in one small aspect.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 562
# 313 More Variety
04-22-2013, 04:07 AM
The Romulan ships need more variety; this can be done with universal slots so a player can give a particular type of boost to the ship. A science lean gives better shields and group control, Engg gives better hull and repair, and tac gives better firepower and turn rate. Right now, they are just single mold and limited in variety.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,701
# 314
04-22-2013, 04:22 AM
Hey, nicely animated Legacy Pack banner. Now it would be really awesome if the dual beam banks would actually fire like that instead of from the tips of the nacelles.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,477
# 315
04-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
The RCS Accelerator change will benefit any ship that uses a RCS Accelerator, it's just a larger boost to slower ships (compared to previously).

Before, faster ships were actually getting a larger percentage of their turn rate buffed - not just a larger number, but a larger percentage. With my change, slower ships will get a larger percentage of their turn rate increased, but faster ships will still get a larger numeric boost in total.

In all cases, this is a buff; even fast ships will still be getting a larger turn rate bonus from these consoles than they previously did.
Related query: will this change to RCS consoles translate to the Techyokinetic console?
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 458
# 316
04-22-2013, 05:29 AM
The suggested even lower than a Galaxy turnrate for the D'deridex will drive players away and I wonder how Cryptic could forget how people felt about the low turnrate of the Galaxy class.

dontdrunkimshoot made very sensible suggestions for a certain minimum turnrate that can be considered fun or at least not painful.

The other thing is the supposed resilience of Cruisers that would justice low turnrates. It's just not there. And even then there is a certain minimum of agility that must be retained as taking a minute or longer and emergency maneuvers to pick up loot just isn't fun anymore.

Many people would like to like the iconic Warbird, it needs a way better turnrate or it will frustrate people to no end.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 959
# 317
04-22-2013, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
The RCS Accelerator change will benefit any ship that uses a RCS Accelerator, it's just a larger boost to slower ships (compared to previously).
What if this console reduced the difference between the starting turn rate of the ship and some theoretical max? (Say, 22?)

Then slow turners would benefit a lot, but Bugs would barely benefit.

If it is a buff to all ships, then some escorts will become insane.
_________________________________________________
[Kluless][Kold][Steel Heels][Snagtooth]
[Louis Cipher][Outta Gum][Thysa Kymbo][Spanner][Frakk]
[D'Mented][D'Licious]
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,447
# 318
04-22-2013, 06:28 AM
Okay, I suppose I've had enough time to mess around with the ships to form some kind of opinion about them.


==Ships==

-=T'liss=-
It's a nice little ship works very well for a frigate.

-=Dhelen=-
Performance-wise, it's pretty solid. Cosmetically, I'm still not sure how I feel about it - just strikes me as very.. bloated.. and unusually compact. As someone who likes to fly manually in sector space, I often found myself near the bottom of the map because something about the design causes me to instinctively pitch downwards more than I should with it. Perhaps it's the propulsion angle.

-=Mogai=-
Truly, what's not to love about the design of the ship? For a level 20 ship, it is an absolute treat to fly and fight in. The flexibility of being able to fit a tractor beam combined with battlecloak just provides an experience that oozes 'Romulan'.


==Cloaking==
Really, I find it works great with the Romulan ideology and think there is potential to really bring a new playstyle to the game here. I would like to see the movement bonus while cloaked brought up another 10~15%. Romulan ships aren't the most agile while out of cloak, so it creates an interesting ebb and flow - that feels distinctly 'Romulan' - where you juggle between cloaking to maneuver to a better position/angle and uncloaking to trade blows. For the first time since playing this game, I have genuinely been considering prioritizing engine power over shield power(after weapons, of course) because of the way these Romulan ships work.


==Singularity==

-=Mechanics=-
I like them, although something still feels a bit unintuitive about the power build-up. I think I just haven't wrapped my brain around the pseudo-science explanation of how it works yet.

-=Plasma Shockwave=-
So far this has been the most useful ability for me and I use it probably 90% of the time. Its usefulness as a point-defense weapon makes it hard to want to waste the reactor on anything else.

-=Quantum Absorption=-
It may be that I'm too used to using reverse shield polarity and hazard emitters/aux2sif, but I only found myself using it.. three or four times? Against multiple opponents, you generally end up needing the point defense of the Plasma Shockwave and against a single stronger opponent it doesn't last long enough to make it worth the while(and the reactor cooldown feels very long after it). Perhaps toning its regen down slightly and allowing it to reflect damage like feedback pulse would make it more appealing to use? (Maybe something similiar to what Tholian Commanders can do?)

-=Warp Shadow=-
I confess I've only used it once. Again, I think it comes down to Plasma Shockwave just being more useful to my playstyle. It seems like a very potent ability, but I honestly haven't used it enough to have a good opinion of its strengths and weaknesses yet.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,860
# 319
04-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
The RCS Accelerator change will benefit any ship that uses a RCS Accelerator, it's just a larger boost to slower ships (compared to previously).

Before, faster ships were actually getting a larger percentage of their turn rate buffed - not just a larger number, but a larger percentage. With my change, slower ships will get a larger percentage of their turn rate increased, but faster ships will still get a larger numeric boost in total.

In all cases, this is a buff; even fast ships will still be getting a larger turn rate bonus from these consoles than they previously did.
Am I correct in assuming that you basically just removed the penalty of -3 that is added to the base turn rate before turn bonuses are applied? If that is the case, will the change affect all sources that modify turn rate, not just RCS accelerators? Currently, I think the following are affected by the -3 penalty:

1. RCS accelerators
2. Tachyokinetic Converter
3. Engine [Turn] modifier
4. Engine power
5. Skill "Starship Impulse Thrusters"

Last edited by frtoaster; 04-22-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,162
# 320
04-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naevius View Post
What if this console reduced the difference between the starting turn rate of the ship and some theoretical max? (Say, 22?)

Then slow turners would benefit a lot, but Bugs would barely benefit.

If it is a buff to all ships, then some escorts will become insane.
Agreed. The whole idea behind buffing RCS accelerators is to make them worthwhile for the ships that NEED them, not the ships that already turn well enough. I'm saying this with experience from both sides of the argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szerontzur View Post
Okay, I suppose I've had enough time to mess around with the ships to form some kind of opinion about them.


==Ships==

-=T'liss=-
It's a nice little ship works very well for a frigate.

-=Dhelen=-
Performance-wise, it's pretty solid. Cosmetically, I'm still not sure how I feel about it - just strikes me as very.. bloated.. and unusually compact. As someone who likes to fly manually in sector space, I often found myself near the bottom of the map because something about the design causes me to instinctively pitch downwards more than I should with it. Perhaps it's the propulsion angle.

-=Mogai=-
Truly, what's not to love about the design of the ship? For a level 20 ship, it is an absolute treat to fly and fight in. The flexibility of being able to fit a tractor beam combined with battlecloak just provides an experience that oozes 'Romulan'.


==Cloaking==
Really, I find it works great with the Romulan ideology and think there is potential to really bring a new playstyle to the game here. I would like to see the movement bonus while cloaked brought up another 10~15%. Romulan ships aren't the most agile while out of cloak, so it creates an interesting ebb and flow - that feels distinctly 'Romulan' - where you juggle between cloaking to maneuver to a better position/angle and uncloaking to trade blows. For the first time since playing this game, I have genuinely been considering prioritizing engine power over shield power(after weapons, of course) because of the way these Romulan ships work.


==Singularity==

-=Mechanics=-
I like them, although something still feels a bit unintuitive about the power build-up. I think I just haven't wrapped my brain around the pseudo-science explanation of how it works yet.

-=Plasma Shockwave=-
So far this has been the most useful ability for me and I use it probably 90% of the time. Its usefulness as a point-defense weapon makes it hard to want to waste the reactor on anything else.

-=Quantum Absorption=-
It may be that I'm too used to using reverse shield polarity and hazard emitters/aux2sif, but I only found myself using it.. three or four times? Against multiple opponents, you generally end up needing the point defense of the Plasma Shockwave and against a single stronger opponent it doesn't last long enough to make it worth the while(and the reactor cooldown feels very long after it). Perhaps toning its regen down slightly and allowing it to reflect damage like feedback pulse would make it more appealing to use? (Maybe something similiar to what Tholian Commanders can do?)

-=Warp Shadow=-
I confess I've only used it once. Again, I think it comes down to Plasma Shockwave just being more useful to my playstyle. It seems like a very potent ability, but I honestly haven't used it enough to have a good opinion of its strengths and weaknesses yet.
Warp Shadow seems to briefly confuse enemies, but that's all. Not quite enough to save you in PvP, and I don't think it'll work as anything other than a getaway method in PvE.

Hold on, that gives me an idea. Throwing warp shadows at your enemy and cloaking could reduce the damage usually inflicted by hostile ships in that brief cloaking period. Cooldown kinda makes it less viable, but...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 AM.