Career Officer
# 441
04-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
We are going to be testing a change to the power levels for Warbirds soon.

Rather than having a 40 base to all power levels, we are going to be testing how they perform with 45 to all power levels.

Please keep in mind that this is a test and that we may end up changing it back to 40 base or making other changes to compensate for the presence of Romulan Battle Cloaking and the Singularity mechanic on Romulan ships. For example, there is a possibility we may end up removing console slots or BOFF seats instead of or in addition to the power level differences.

We are still evaluating making changes to the Singularity mechanics and Romulan Battle Cloak as well.

Thank you for your continued testing and feedback.
I have a suggestion: remove the singularity mechanic completely, give all the romulan ships warp cores like everyone else and restore their power levels to normal.

The fact is the singularity powers are basically junk compared to what you lose in comparison to a normal ship. I'd far rather have 50 power to all subsystems, full console slots and a full BoFF layout.

I really appreciate the direction you are trying to take with the singularity mechanic but even with base power levels increased to 45 I'd still rather fly a normal ship. The simple fact is that subsystem power levels have very far reaching implications for all space abilities and having them permanently reduced for an occasionally available power of questionable use is just terrible.
Republic Veteran
# 442
04-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
We are going to be testing a change to the power levels for Warbirds soon.

Rather than having a 40 base to all power levels, we are going to be testing how they perform with 45 to all power levels.

Please keep in mind that this is a test and that we may end up changing it back to 40 base or making other changes to compensate for the presence of Romulan Battle Cloaking and the Singularity mechanic on Romulan ships. For example, there is a possibility we may end up removing console slots or BOFF seats instead of or in addition to the power level differences.

We are still evaluating making changes to the Singularity mechanics and Romulan Battle Cloak as well.

Thank you for your continued testing and feedback.
The singularity core powers are too situational and gimmicky to penalize anything on the rest of the ship.
____
STO community Doom-O-Meter: ||||||||| >> WARNING <<
Captain
# 443
04-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
The singularity core powers are too situational and gimmicky to penalize anything on the rest of the ship.

Well, in a moment of madness I'm going to defend Cryptic here a little bit. The Romulan ships as a whole have something very special already built in, which is the battle cloak. It works. It has great availability.. It offers a lot of tactical potential. The only other ships to date that have had battle cloaks are the Klingon BOPs, which sacrifice both a bridge seat and significant basic durability compared to ships of their level.

So... it's not only the singularity abilities that we're "buying" here, it's the battle cloak, which is a completely unique feature on ships that aren't suffering from Brittle BOP Disease.

Just saying. Don't "overbalance". Halving the core penalty would go a loooong way toward justifying the singularity opportunity cost.
Lieutenant
# 444
04-24-2013, 05:20 PM
T'Liss bird of prey seemed slightly slugguish for a small starter ship. I don't know if it's me but in combat felt more sluggish than the Mogai.

Finally, I would recommend making the D'Deridex warbird battlecruiser Retrofit Ensign Science slot an Ensign universal Slot to mitigate the loss of BOFF configurations. For example Star Cruiser BOFF, Assault Cruiser BOFF, Exploration Cruiser Retrofit BOFF (minus Saucer sep), Negh'Var Battle Cruiser BOFF, Vor'Cha Battle Cruiser Retrofit BOFF and the Mirror Vor'Cha Battlecruiser Retrofit BOFF would be availble with the simple change of making the Ensign Science slot on the D'Deridex Universal. Especially now considering you WON'T be able to use the tier 5 ships of you're ally. now they can just purchase the d'deridex retrofit.
Starfleet Veteran
# 445
04-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Archon, can I please get a clarification on one of the Singularity Core blue quallity modifiers?

According to the tooltip, Singularity Cores marked [Res] give the following ability:
"Your Singularity Shielding also provides you with 20 resistance to all damage."

There is no ability called Singularity Shielding. I checked if it was meaning Quantum Absorbtion (since this was on a Mk IV core), but when I hit that, I did not see any change to my resistance ratings. Nor did it appear to be a boost to resistances in general, whether the core was charged or not. Can you please clarify just what the heck this ability is allegedly doing for me? ^^;;; Also, 20 what? 20% 20 megatons? $20?

(My best guess at this point is that Quantum Absorption used to be named Singularity Shielding, and the boost broke with the rename.)
Republic Veteran
# 446
04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
So... it's not only the singularity abilities that we're "buying" here, it's the battle cloak, which is a completely unique feature on ships that aren't suffering from Brittle BOP Disease.
This ^^^ battle cloak probably makes up the majority of what we are "paying for" with the penalties.
Captain
# 447
04-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Battle cloak is a useless gimmick at least 80% of the time unless you enjoy being hit by torpedos without shields a lot.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Commander
# 448
04-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
Well we can't get something for nothing. That is not how balance works. (unless you are the F-HEC which gets a hanger for nothing)

So here is a breakdown. If i've missed anything let me know.

Compared to a ship with identical hull and shields a warbird gets:

-5 all subsystems power levels
-0-7.5 in 1 other subsystem (m/am core transfer compared to sc increase based on core level)
-5 max to 1 subsystem (not a big deal)
-1 turn rate

+ battle cloak
+ 1 singularity core power on at least a 90 second cooldown (closer to 105 seconds and it is only 1 because they all share this cooldown. As such you cant count it as 4 abilities)

This seems a lot fairer but still a bit harsh. -5 to all subsystems is a bit much but -0 would be too good. Maybe -5 to engines and -5 to aux would be fair. Just because it makes the most sense for those 2 subsystems to be lower.

Alternatively, put the lockout timer on the singularity core down to 30 seconds and make it take 30 seconds to charge up to full for a total cooldown of 1 minute. Then I think the -5 to all systems would be justified.
Captain
# 449
04-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
Battle cloak is a useless gimmick at least 80% of the time unless you enjoy being hit by torpedos without shields a lot.
Um...um...um...um...
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Career Officer
# 450
04-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
Um... what? Seriously?