Commander
# 511
04-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the invitation to test play and for all the work put into this expansion. I hope this brings more people into STO.

I played the missions on normal, although normally I play on elite on holodeck.
I enjoyed the very powerful and nimble T'Varo, very TOS. I?m not a fan of the Dhelan?s look but the extra aft and fore slots were nice. If I had a T?Varo skin that would have been great. A glitch prevented me from claiming and playing a Mogai during my first run through the missions.

I created a Sci and the assigned ensign slots in the ships were limiting and frustrating. The Tal Shiar deflector glitch, which removed access to HE 1, dampened my enthusiasm also. That said, I?d love to see a Tal Shiar set.

The Singularity powers are interesting as is the exotic damage modifiers but nothing I regularly incorporated into my playstyle. I like the concept of singularity powers, but their timing made it hard to incorporate them into consistent tactics.

From time to time I actively tried to use them tactically but the erratic build up of the power to the top tier led to difficult choices to either use the power at the moment of top off and do a bit of damage (there was rarely a chance to plan out a heal) or chance waiting to use the power and wasting additional incoming enemy energy. Given the choice of a limited damage burst or heal I often went with the limited damage burst; and this while trying to drop a shield facing so that the burst did a bit of damage.

Plasma Shockwave/Pulse was very powerful at lower levels but by levels 21 and 22 was doing negligible damage. I dropped the power from my Holodeck Sci because I could put slot a more useful power. Overall the heal was more useful but also limited and sporadic in use. HE1 was better for heals on my ship, but the deflector glitch cost me my ship a few times when I could not use either heals.

If I play through the missions again I?ll have to try to use the burst defensively to destroy incoming torpedoes.

Are the inclusion of the Pulse and Heal worth the -10 to my subsystems? No. The powers are too sporadic. I have a defined loss, -10 to subsystems, but not a defined gain.
Joined STO in September 2010.
Starfleet Veteran
# 512
04-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caocaopuff View Post
Was waiting for someone to bring this up. In an STF where sustained damage is sometimes more important, a warbird can just fight like any other ship. Keep the singularity at lv 5 to bring the power levels on par with other ships so that they can do the sustained damage necessary.

STF do have those "aww crap.." moments like when someone misses the massive rush of probes to the gate in KA or a tac cube singles you out for that special high yield torpedo. In that case the warbird can cut loose and fire off its special ability (with current singularity power strength this obviously won't work. They're simply too weak)
That's true, but then, what's the difference in playing a Warbird when you're ignoring your Singularity powers? You're not bringing any of your unique abilities to bear on the situation, which feels a bit of a waste. The current mechanic has me using those abilities regularly as they become available (or when appropriate, if I feel I need to use them defensively).

For the strength of the powers, I'm keeping an eye out as I level up. Currently, on my level 25 science romulan, I can get up to 6.7k damage on up to 10 enemies out of Plasma Shockwave, 5.1k of which completely bypasses shields. That's potentially up to 67k damage out of a single skill use, and independent of power levels. I have to see when I hit higher levels how that scales (if at all), but I'm thinking Antiproton Sweep + Charged Particle Burst + Plasma Shockwave could make a devastating opening gambit on a large group of enemies (I'm thinking of the probes + spheres in KA Space at the moment). You're getting a lot of shields and a respectable chunk of hull out of the way in three clicks..and follow up with a torp spread...

For the other question about the power of singularity, we know there is one more offensive-related one coming, T5's Singularity Overcharge/Overload:
"It also has a small, highly efficient Singularity Warp Core capable of using the Singularity Overload ability to fire a devastating barrage of attacks." (from Dev blog 9; there's also a Singularity Core that gives that skill a +20% to crit...hmmm...probably severity. +20% crit chance seems likely overpowered.) Since Plasma Shockwave is an AoE, I'm guessing Overload will probably be a high-damage attack to a small number of targets (possibly even a single target). Will be interesting to see and evaluate, though.
Starfleet Veteran
# 513
04-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerwalk0769 View Post
If I play through the missions again I?ll have to try to use the burst defensively to destroy incoming torpedoes.
Once you can start getting dilithium, grab a core from the dilithium store that offers a 10% reduction on the singularity cooldown; I found that usually I could use a rank 2 or 3 plasma shockwave to clear one group and the singularity would be ready (or close enough to it) by the time I got to the next group of enemies.

EDIT: oh, and also, regarding burning through shields, if you look, Plasma Shockwave actually does a LOT more damage in its afterburn. About three times as much as the initial blast, and that's all shield bypassing. You're doing a lot more damage with it than you think.

Last edited by hyouki; 04-25-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Lieutenant
# 514
04-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyouki View Post
That's true, but then, what's the difference in playing a Warbird when you're ignoring your Singularity powers? You're not bringing any of your unique abilities to bear on the situation, which feels a bit of a waste. The current mechanic has me using those abilities regularly as they become available (or when appropriate, if I feel I need to use them defensively).
You have a valid point. But then that brings us back to the heart of this issue, which is that some players feel that warbirds will consistently perform lower in situations such as STFs and that the addition of the singularity powers does not make up for the loss of power.

It has been stated that to address this issue, they will play with power levels, console slots, and BoFF seating to bring the base stats of the warbird up to par with equivalent ships. There is also an opinion that warbirds should be able to drop the singularity core for a warp core, which seems IMO somewhat stupid. If you want to play a warp core ship, play KDF or fed. If you want the best of everything... well.. a good compromise leaves everyone somewhat unhappy.

The current mechanic leaves you with what amounts to an extra console power like the nadion detonator or graviton pulse. I love the mechanic and simply want to make the warbird a unique experience. People should not just be able to get into one, fly it like any other ship, and not really notice a difference beyond clicking an extra button every few seconds. The battle cloak and singularity power should be always on the rom captains mind when he considers his options and goes into battle. Not just something you fire off when its convenient with no consequence beyond that now you have to wait 30 sec.
Career Officer
# 515
04-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
They should have given warp/singularity cores themselves slots (up to three slots at tier 5), which could only take the currently useless power setting consoles, that way you get to set up yourself how and where you want extra bonus power in your subsystems.
I rather like this concept.
Career Officer
# 516
04-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
If engineering consoles that give subsystem power werent that crap (see if you would not nerf them in the first place) people could of set the missing power through engineering console. And there would be no need to take the slot away from them.

Truth is, a -20 across board is like -4 engineering consoles (purple mk XII). That's pretty harsh. What about change the the consoles to +10 or even +15 ? Or better, change them to lovely percentages. Add +10% actual power in one subsystem. So it is +5 at 50 but +10 at 100.

Right now, I don't know anyone who uses +subsystem power consoles.
True to the best of my knowledge, ever since the console overhaul the only widely used engineering consoles are the armor/resists ones. I like your suggestions for changing the consoles.
Starfleet Veteran
# 517
04-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
I rather like this concept.
It also helps that the names already, somewhat, sound like components of a warp/singularity core too: Injector Assembly; Plasma Distribution Manifold; Booster Modulator; and Field Emitter.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Career Officer
# 518
04-25-2013, 01:13 PM
From the new dev post: http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=875021

I have to say even more, don't mess with console/boff slots.

If you want to keep powers at 40, fine. honestly i think 45 would be fine too. The singularity powers are great but they are so situational.

Plasma Shockwave has been proven to not really be that great of an offensive power except against removing torps and fighters.

Quantum Absorption got nerfed a bit though is still a great healing power and probably is what will be used by most people since it means they can skip a boff heal for that.

Warp Shadows and Singuarlity jump, while nice, are again very situational.

Energy weapons seems great, but they emphasis how brief it is, meaning again it probably won't be worth it, you'll be better off keeping your singularity level at 5 and waiting until you need to heal.

Time will tell, but from this blog, i have to say again, don't take away boffs, don't take away consoles. leave the power levels at 40 if you feel it's too much.

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Career Officer
# 519
04-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyouki View Post
Once you can start getting dilithium, grab a core from the dilithium store that offers a 10% reduction on the singularity cooldown; I found that usually I could use a rank 2 or 3 plasma shockwave to clear one group and the singularity would be ready (or close enough to it) by the time I got to the next group of enemies.
My biggest problem with this one and a lot of other of your posts, is that you seem to be on the "you must play Warbirds with the Singularity, else go play another faction", and to be fair, you can't tell others how they want to play the game. Why do you care so much if someone doesn't use a Singularity? Why are you so venomously against some of these suggestions where the use of Singularity is optional? Short of the few "Take away all Singularity powers" which most people are rejecting, the optional idea seems to be the best of both worlds.

You get to use the Singulariy powers, they don't have to if they don't want to.

Personally I'm goig to use them, they make me feel more Romulan in some way, but I'm not going to demand everyone use them, or they should be banished from playing the faction and the game the way they want to, to have fun.

((edit: my apolgies if this seems to be an attack or snarky, it isn't meant to be so. I'm working off of four hours of sleep, and the portion of my brain that tries to keep me civil is on strike.))

Last edited by ladymyajha; 04-25-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 520
04-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neok182 View Post
Thanks! Hadn't spottet that yet, will read when I get a chance.