Career Officer
# 711
05-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
I dont want to play a Klingon? I want to fly a Mogai without gimmicks... I want to play a Romulan... Honestly, the people who say "You dont like "blank", go play this other thing instead." are jerks. (Also... I already have a level 50 KDF character... so you know... been there, done that)

I want to fly a Romulan ship, as a Romulan character with no gimmicky charging powers. Id prefer to do it with the Romulan battle cloak (which is actually different from the KDF version). Id prefer to do it without my power levels being gimped, but I'll even tolerate that if I can remove everything even relating to the singularity system off of my ship.

I agree... the Romulan ships should be different... thats great. But I should be able to opt out of that system. (And honestly, the fix is to allow warbirds to equip M/ARA cores and then require a singularity core to enable the singularity system). It should be an option, Im not saying it should be standard... but it should really be an option.
your warbird powerlevels are gimped for balance if you don't want to use singularity powers don't equip the singularity core,that is your opt out option atm, I don't think they will change the entire singularity/warp-core situation to suit you because the reactor types are completly incompatible as it shows in the cores tooltips.
Rihannsu
# 712
05-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapla1755 View Post
your warbird powerlevels are gimped for balance
Balance ... oh boy, were do I start ...

You go about balance on what? Romulan Battlecloak because that is pretty much the only thing you can say were there is "balance", not on equipment.

Quote:
if you don't want to use singularity powers don't equip the singularity core,that is your opt out option atm, I don't think they will change the entire singularity/warp-core situation to suit you because the reactor types are completly incompatible as it shows in the cores tooltips.
In short I am grimped because I have a mechanic I cannot avoid it since ...

Warp Cores cannot be equipped on Warbirds.

Its not even either Singularity or Warp Cores, I have NO CHOICE in the matter because only I am STUCK with Singularity meaning I am stuck with those powers whatever I want to use then or not.

As you want to talk about balance this is the deal.

Power Levels are balanced for Cloaking device.
Singularity are balanced for Singularity powers.

Also dont give me the "you can remove it" since yes I can and guess what my Warp speed is in sector? 0.5 ... that is not even going over the fact I am being gimped over power levels for abilities I dont even HAVE anymore.

There is no choice here, either you do play as intended or you dont and are PUNISHED for it because there is no Singularity that simply gives the same bonus as Warp Cores but disables the Singularity powers.

Or your idea of balance being grimped against opponents because you dont want to use a mechanic of DUBIOUS usefulness?
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 05-02-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 713
05-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Balance ... oh boy, were do I start ...

You go about balance on what? Romulan Battlecloak because that is pretty much the only thing you can say were there is "balance", not on equipment.

In short I am grimped because I have a mechanic I cannot avoid it since ...

Warp Cores cannot be equipped on Warbirds.

Its not even either Singularity or Warp Cores, I have NO CHOICE in the matter because only I am STUCK with Singularity meaning I am stuck with those powers whatever I want to use then or not.

As you want to talk about balance this is the deal.

Power Levels are balanced for Cloaking device.
Singularity are balanced for Singularity powers.

Also dont give me the "you can remove it" since yes I can and guess what my Warp speed is in sector? 0.5 ... that is not even going over the fact I am being gimped over power levels for abilities I dont even HAVE anymore.

There is no choice here, either you do play as intended or you dont and are PUNISHED for it because there is no Singularity that simply gives the same bonus as Warp Cores but disables the Singularity powers.

Or your idea of balance being grimped against opponents because you dont want to use a mechanic of DUBIOUS usefulness?
Said it before, will probably say again.

You don't like warbirds? Play an ally or lockbox ship. There. You don't have to use the singularity core. Which is fine, since you're not bothering to understand it, or how to best exploit its features.

I'll say that again. People who dismiss the singularity powers as useless, borderline useless, gimmicks, whatever, ARE NOT TRYING. You want to play exactly the same way you'd play your Federation or your Klingon, and that's fine. You've been given the way to do that. But I (and I suspect the devs) do not place any stock in your feedback since it is clear you are NOT TRYING.

Play it. Work with it. Look at what everything does. Think of how you can best exploit the effects you're given. You'll find there's a LOT more to the singularity powers than you think.

And if you still don't want to, your ally's ships are waiting for you.

Last edited by hyouki; 05-02-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Rihannsu
# 714
05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyouki View Post

You don't like warbirds? Play an ally or lockbox ship.
Oh?

And were the Dilithium comes and no, dont say it from other characters ... doesnt work that when I started and it sure as hell should be used as a solution.

Speaking of that and of trying ... Token only works for Warbirds, "allied" ships cost Dilithium or Zen with T5 being out, there is no "or" because you cannot use a allied T5 ship, you use a Warbird or a lock box ship.

So ... are they free? can I get one without either spending millions of EC or hundreds of real money for them? after all I am quite aware of their cost and I am certain that I am not going to just get a JHAS or any other lock box ship without a cost, be it on EC or be it on real money.

So here is what you really said ... "You don't like warbirds? buy a lockbox ship".

I am in the Beta and I know how things current work, I am not sure if you are since what you just said shows a large amount of ignorance towards current implementation, it seems you are trying too hard to not find any faults.

I am a beta tester, I am giving my feedback and my feedback is not making whatever they made "work", excusing their decisions but rather see what they done and say what I think because that is my honest opinion,I am not here to justify their decisions ... only to offer my feedback on then, they are free to do whatever they want with it.
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!
Lt. Commander
# 715
05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyouki View Post

You don't like warbirds? Play an ally or lockbox ship. There. You don't have to use the singularity core. Which is fine, since you're not bothering to understand it, or how to best exploit its features.

I'll say that again. People who dismiss the singularity powers as useless, borderline useless, gimmicks, whatever, ARE NOT TRYING. You want to play exactly the same way you'd play your Federation or your Klingon, and that's fine. You've been given the way to do that. But I (and I suspect the devs) do not place any stock in your feedback since it is clear you are NOT TRYING.

Play it. Work with it. Look at what everything does. Think of how you can best exploit the effects you're given. You'll find there's a LOT more to the singularity powers than you think.

And if you still don't want to, your ally's ships are waiting for you.
I'd love to, but I can't. Didn't get the closed beta invite. Instead I and most others have to decide on LoR starter/legacy pack based on what others have said about the powers. I think many are on the fence, they want to invest but without playtesting for themselves they are uneasy about the singularity cores. They could love them or really hate them. -40 is a ton of power to lose across the board. (It may have changed, I'm not to speed without that invite )
Captain
# 716
05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
They are experimenting with -20 now (-5 to each subsystem instead of -10).
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Cryptic Studios Team
# 717
05-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Just a heads up with some more changes that will be coming to the test servers soon.

-We have reverted the cooldown on Romulan Battle Cloak to 20 seconds.
-The base power levels for most Romulan Warbirds are being reverted to 40 base for each subsystem. The T'liss and T'varo are unaffected by this change.
-We have increased the power level bonuses to ships based on your current Singularity Power. This now goes from +5 at low singularity to +15 at max Singularity (up from +0 to +7.5). This bonus is disabled while your Singularity Powers are on cooldown.

As always, these changes are subject to further possible iterations in the future.
Survivor of Romulus
# 718
05-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Haven't read all of the posts here, but I've tried to keep up with those since Archon's explanation. This is just my own opinion, and I don't claim it to be anything more, but I seem to agree with what some others are saying, to a large degree.

Essentially, don't destroy the 'canon' features of the Romulan ships (the biggest being the superior cloaking, IMO) in order to balance 'neat new tricks' that you came up with to make them 'more unique.' It's not that the 'new tricks' are useless or weak or any of that. It's that they are not the canon core of a Romulan ship that most of us are looking for when we choose to play a Romulan.

When we choose to play a Romulan, we expect the canon features of Romulan ships that we grew up watching in the TV episodes. The singularity core powers are not really a part of that. Yes, it was established that the Romulans use a different type of warp core, an artificial singularity, but the fancy in-game powers have little basis in canon, and are not at all what I think of when I think of a Romulan ship. In short, they are not what make the ship 'Romulan,' in my mind.

So first and foremost, give all Romulan ships the superior cloaking ability that -does- come from the canon shows. Make sure they all have that Romulan feel that I am looking for as a long-time fan of Star Trek. Then balance all the other little bells-and-whistles powers so that they bring the whole package in at an acceptable level, in terms of game balance. If something needs to be weakened, let it be the nifty, yet non-canon bits that don't really cry out to being key points of the Romulan experience that I'm looking for.
Live long, and prosper.
Captain
# 719
05-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
Just a heads up with some more changes that will be coming to the test servers soon.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you...thank you

Now the D'deridex and Ha'apax wont be sitting ducks
Empire Veteran
# 720
05-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post

-The base power levels for most Romulan Warbirds are being reverted to 40 base for each subsystem. The T'liss and T'varo are unaffected by this change.
-We have increased the power level bonuses to ships based on your current Singularity Power. This now goes from +5 at low singularity to +15 at max Singularity (up from +0 to +7.5). This bonus is disabled while your Singularity Powers are on cooldown.

As always, these changes are subject to further possible iterations in the future.
oh, do your power levels get bumped up as you charge up singularity level? and then disapate back to normal after useing a singularity skill?i always thought they should do that, but hadn't noticed if that had happened yet.
the pvp build and help thread
gateway links(should actually work now) -->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus