Republic Veteran
# 741
05-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Hyouki while your right people need to adapt to ship designs in certain respects, the other people have point too and honestly. Its the same thing as picking your captain class and boff abilities, except this time just by being a Romulan you are being pigeon holed into some special abilities, that you may or may not want, that cause you to gain a disadvantage is horrible.

But I myself like the abilities, while some more then others. But I'm also glad they are trying something new for a change. Maybe later they will have adapted warp cores that remove romulan power drain while you loose the abilities and maybe a adapted singularity core for the other factions.

Last edited by cryptkeeper0; 05-02-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Rihannsu
# 742
05-02-2013, 10:08 PM
easy solution. introduce a singularity warp core which restores the power in all systems but does not let you us the singularity powers.

i for once love the mechanics and like that they are adding more customization and tactics to use in battle

Join the premiere Romulan community now!
Captain
# 743
05-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyouki View Post
Again, quit being lazy and learn how they work to your advantage.

You don't want to fly a warbird. You want a warbird skin for the same ships and playstyles we've been using all these years already.

Evolve. Grow. Adapt. Try something NEW.
I do want to fly a warbird. Thats the whole point of rolling a Romulan. Its to fly ships that look like warbirds. Id prefer to fly them like every other ship in the game. Why shouldn't I be allowed to? Why should I be made to change my playstyle, one that has worked well for years, just because of this retarded system?
Captain
# 744
05-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
I do want to fly a warbird. Thats the whole point of rolling a Romulan. Its to fly ships that look like warbirds. Id prefer to fly them like every other ship in the game. Why shouldn't I be allowed to? Why should I be made to change my playstyle, one that has worked well for years, just because of this retarded system?
Because YOU, are not the only player in STO. You do not like it, another one likes it. I think it is for the best if all factions are as much as different from each other as possible.
Captain
# 745
05-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptkeeper0 View Post
Hyouki while your right people need to adapt to ship designs in certain respects, the other people have point too and honestly. Its the same thing as picking your captain class and boff abilities, except this time just by being a Romulan you are being pigeon holed into some special abilities, that you may or may not want, that cause you to gain a disadvantage is horrible.
Hyouki's actually right on the meta-level if one stops to think about it.

Every Captain ability is a gimmick.
Every BOFF ability is a gimmick.
Every DOFF is a gimmick.
Every piece of gear is a gimmick.
Everything...is...a gimmick.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Empire Veteran
# 746
05-02-2013, 10:47 PM
the singularity powers have ever so much of a positive effect for warbirds. and thats GOOD, i would hate them if they were game changing.

their main draw is battlecloak across the board, and their interesting hybrid station setups.

its absolutely imperative that the turn rate for the 2 big warbirds be increased though, no singularity power, battle cloak or station setup will save them from always on worst turn rate ever
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
I like the new new ships and now the boffs. The ships are cool and the singularity is cool and now the boff are two, now that we can select the officers we want. The singularity is cool when the ships are blown up. I hope it gets better from here.
Captain
# 748
05-03-2013, 01:23 AM
With the RCS changes, I think the low turn rate is much less damning and is no longer a critical flaw.

Also the Haakona/Ha'apax will most certainly have a turn rate boost when seperated if you have the c-store version.
Captain
# 749
05-03-2013, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
Because YOU, are not the only player in STO. You do not like it, another one likes it. I think it is for the best if all factions are as much as different from each other as possible.
And you know... that would be a valid argument if I had said:

"They should completely remove the singularity mechanic entirely because I said so."

However, what I said (and I have said from the beginning) is:

"I want to fly a Romulan Warbird, but this singularity thing isnt for me. Can there be an option to not have to use it?"

Never said I was the only person playing this game. Never even insinuated it. Never said no one should be able to use the singularity system because I dont like it... but I did say that there should be an option for people who dont like it to be able to opt out of using it, without being penalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Hyouki's actually right on the meta-level if one stops to think about it.

Every Captain ability is a gimmick.
Every BOFF ability is a gimmick.
Every DOFF is a gimmick.
Every piece of gear is a gimmick.
Everything...is...a gimmick.
Not really. A gimmick is something (more often than not shoehorned) into an existing or new product that would not hamper the operation of said product if it wasnt there. (Having a special feature for the sake of having a special feature...) Examples:

Wii motion controls
the 3D function on the Nintendo 3DS.
Xbox Kinect
PlayStation Move
The WiiU's tablet controller
The rear touch pad on the PSVita

If none of those existed, the consoles they are related to would still function just fine* (and in the case of the 3DS, you can turn off the 3D and not have to use it).

*With the possible exception of the Wii, as with out motion control, it might not have ever existed in the first place. But the majority of games do use it for anything more than inputs that could have easily been handled by a button.

So while the above are gimmicks; player abilities, BOff/Companion abilities and gear are pretty essential to the function of an MMO (or even just an RPG in general). The DOff system could be considered one, yes. But if it is, its one that you dont have to use. Id even go so far to say most of the CStore consoles are gimmicks in some form (eg the Impulse Burst or Subspace Jump).

The Singularity system is definitely a gimmick. Its a special feature to make the Romulans stand out, just because having a special feature seemed like a good idea.

Last edited by amayakitsune; 05-03-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Captain
# 750
05-03-2013, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
Just a heads up with some more changes that will be coming to the test servers soon.

-We have reverted the cooldown on Romulan Battle Cloak to 20 seconds.
-The base power levels for most Romulan Warbirds are being reverted to 40 base for each subsystem. The T'liss and T'varo are unaffected by this change.
-We have increased the power level bonuses to ships based on your current Singularity Power. This now goes from +5 at low singularity to +15 at max Singularity (up from +0 to +7.5). This bonus is disabled while your Singularity Powers are on cooldown.

As always, these changes are subject to further possible iterations in the future.
Excellent! This looks much better.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.