Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 677
# 931
05-11-2013, 02:48 PM
The intro walk through states you can't cloak while in combat yet I was able to cloak while being fired at in a red alert situation. I don't know if that's a gameplay bug or just the voice over intro/walkthrough bug stating the wrong info.
http://www.libertytaskforce.com
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,477
# 932
05-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patarmarkan View Post
I'd like to give my feedback concerning romulan cloaking technology.

In my understanding romulan cloak is more advanced than klingon cloak.
Therefore I was very astonished when a nausicaan torpedo hit me about 3 seconds
after I was fully cloaked AND hit evasive maneuvers.
Some seconds later I was chased by 3 power siphon probes. Still on full cloak...

This is NOT what I think a romulan cloak should be like.
Cloak doesn't stop you from being hit by things fired before you cloaked. It's not faction specific.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 203
# 933
05-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Okay, just finished some tampering around on Tribble, and I have to say, I'm very, very, VERY impressed with what I've seen of LoR so far.

Regarding ships, here are my impressions;

#1 - Ship Appearance: Kudos to whoever came up with these Romulan ships. The "canon" Romulan ships (like the D'Deridex and the Valdore) look FANTASTIC. They hold true to their movie counterparts while at the same time taking advantage of STO's impressive graphics. As for the (for lack of a better term) "Cryptic Original" warships (like the Ha'pex...did I spell that right) and the somewhat edited ships (like the new tier 1 warbirds)...DANG. Seriously, whoever designed those things needs a raise. They look fantastic! Each of them has a somewhat "avian predator"-like feel to them. Absolutely stunning work across the board, I'm loving these new Romulan warships.

#2 - Ship Mechanics: All of the Romulan ships seem to fly, turn, and fire well. I noticed some graphical glitching when firing dual beams from the Tier 1 warbird, but I believe that was the only notable problem I have come across (will update if I see any more). I really love the "drop-stop-and-fire" mechanic that some of the warbirds have, where the torpedos seem to drop out of the ship and hover for a second before zooming off after their target. Very, very cool!

#3 - Singularity System: I have a love-hate relationship with this thing. In terms of gameplay, it works very well, and gives a huge advantage for Romulan players. I initially had some doubts about how this system would balance out with other factions abilities in STFs and PvP, but these doubts were settled when I noticed that Romulan warbirds have lower EPS levels then other factions craft.

#4 - Cloak: My opinion here is torn between balance and canon. In canon, the Romulans have the best cloak of any species, and in LoR the Romulan Battlecloaks hold true to that standard, as all warbirds have cloaks superior to all other faction vessels (with the exception of the KDF B'rel Retrofits "Enhanced Battle Cloak"). On the side of balance, however, I'm a little concerned that the advanced Romulan cloaks in tandem with the Singularity capability will make Warbirds a little overpowered in Player-Verses-Player environments.


Anyway, these are just my initial thoughts on the matter :0

- Torvin Echo
Rihannsu
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 202
# 934
05-11-2013, 06:20 PM
So as some of you know I have posted feedback from being a VA Romulan and I hit VA again on Friday after the server wipe earlier this week.

After playing the system non stop and looking at the new MK X warp cores vs the MK X Singularity Cores I feel the warp cores are hands down the winners. Yes you get some interesting powers with the singularity powers but the passives I have seen from warp cores are insane.

I know people complained at the beginning but I have played through it twice now and that -40 power is a hard hitter. I feel the warp core passives offset the need for a penalty for singularity cores. If anything and I still don't think you need a penalty do a reduction in turn speed to Romulan ships.

Just input from a long time pve sto tester.
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
# 935
05-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balordezul View Post
So as some of you know I have posted feedback from being a VA Romulan and I hit VA again on Friday after the server wipe earlier this week.

After playing the system non stop and looking at the new MK X warp cores vs the MK X Singularity Cores I feel the warp cores are hands down the winners. Yes you get some interesting powers with the singularity powers but the passives I have seen from warp cores are insane.

I know people complained at the beginning but I have played through it twice now and that -40 power is a hard hitter. I feel the warp core passives offset the need for a penalty for singularity cores. If anything and I still don't think you need a penalty do a reduction in turn speed to Romulan ships.

Just input from a long time pve sto tester.
I agree with this not to mention that the passive power gain on the singularity core is base on the power level of the core it self so while we wait the 60s for the core to come back online we will be at a disadvantage. I'm not a pvp'er but I know that anyone using an energy drain build will be at a great advantage against rom ships just because they take a -10 to all power levels. I really don't think that it is needed as there is no penalty for warp cores and the power inc and other passives are on 100% of the time, which will put other ships at a greater advantage than rom ships seeing as they will have more power to play with when allocating power levels on their ship + the bonuses from skills will boost that far greater than it will a rom ship.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 40
# 936
05-11-2013, 06:59 PM
As I've posted elsewhere, I still think the Mogai specs with the sci focus are more balanced then the new Eng focus build.

Also, with D'dex having a sci focus it lacks compensation for it's awful turn rate and speed.

The design of the ha'apax is awful (and all the ships that are based on it). The wings and necelles look great, but the neckless body, the underside, all of it looks un-romulan and half thought out. I've flown the Defender sci version of it as well, and hate if for sci. I felt the Vesta was a waste in terms of playability, and this has similar problems. However if the updated TNG Rom Sci ship comes out, it should (if true to cannon) be smaller, more maneuverable and posses all sci abilities which will at least give sci players a choice on what to fly. (I hope the TNG Sci ship is in the c store and not a lockbox drop, which I'm guessing would make sci players feel even more left out of the warbird line).

It puzzles me as to why the new warbirds are so un-sci friendly. The FEDS have balance of the three play types, the KDF has a heavy tac/eng focus, and if true to cannon the warbirds would be tac/sci focused. It's not reflecting in the choices cryptic is making, and it doesn't appear to be giving the game balance.

I still think, if players are equally divided on the issue, that the Mogai should be available at fleet ship level as both versions you've let us play, if you aren't going to revert it to the original build. The T'varo could be more universal, similar to the BoPs of the KDF, and the D'dex needs some major help, as it is very difficult to move. (BTW the Ha'apax has more mass then a D'dex, so maybe it should suffer the turn/movement problems, and the D'dex should get a boost).
Rihannsu
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 202
# 937
05-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmalogic View Post
As I've posted elsewhere, I still think the Mogai specs with the sci focus are more balanced then the new Eng focus build.

Also, with D'dex having a sci focus it lacks compensation for it's awful turn rate and speed.

The design of the ha'apax is awful (and all the ships that are based on it). The wings and necelles look great, but the neckless body, the underside, all of it looks un-romulan and half thought out. I've flown the Defender sci version of it as well, and hate if for sci. I felt the Vesta was a waste in terms of playability, and this has similar problems. However if the updated TNG Rom Sci ship comes out, it should (if true to cannon) be smaller, more maneuverable and posses all sci abilities which will at least give sci players a choice on what to fly. (I hope the TNG Sci ship is in the c store and not a lockbox drop, which I'm guessing would make sci players feel even more left out of the warbird line).

It puzzles me as to why the new warbirds are so un-sci friendly. The FEDS have balance of the three play types, the KDF has a heavy tac/eng focus, and if true to cannon the warbirds would be tac/sci focused. It's not reflecting in the choices cryptic is making, and it doesn't appear to be giving the game balance.

I still think, if players are equally divided on the issue, that the Mogai should be available at fleet ship level as both versions you've let us play, if you aren't going to revert it to the original build. The T'varo could be more universal, similar to the BoPs of the KDF, and the D'dex needs some major help, as it is very difficult to move. (BTW the Ha'apax has more mass then a D'dex, so maybe it should suffer the turn/movement problems, and the D'dex should get a boost).
I'm a two time VA Romulan and flying the Refit D'deridex and the turn rate is not an issue. You are not flying a Fed or KDF ship so you are mission part of it. With good traits you can have your battle cloak recharge at 12s and move to a better attack vantage. Also if you don't have the refit and would not know this but the console set adds a +2 to turn rate making it a 7 and +10 to engine power.

I also at first did not like the Ha'apax but after flying it for my first VA Fedrulan I love that ship. Unlike most of STO ship that are pull from canon this ship has the correct weapon mounts and feel right when you fly it. It is like a big owl swooping in and attacking its prey and then vanishing into the night.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,480
# 938
05-11-2013, 11:30 PM
It's kind of curious, how much the Ha'apax/Ha'nom have that look of Hawk's ship from Buck Rogers...outside of the - ahem - somewhat phallic head/saucer.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,133
# 939
05-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
It's kind of curious, how much the Ha'apax/Ha'nom have that look of Hawk's ship from Buck Rogers...outside of the - ahem - somewhat phallic head/saucer.
The tail section looks similar other than that I don't see anything else that looks like Hawks ship but given that all Romulan ships are supposed to resemble birds it's natural that there would be some similarities.
A bug I've noticed is the texturing for the Valdore, the wings have some kind of mip mapping error, at a distance or up very close the wings appear normal but anywhere else they are a plain white.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
# 940
05-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bltrrn View Post
fed bolian officer on bridge (have not aligned with either faction yet)
Yeah, I found a Federation Bolian officer on my bridge too, which was doubly weird, as I've aligned with the KDF!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:46 AM.