Career Officer
# 981 Singularity
05-13-2013, 10:14 AM
I heard a lot of things and read a lot of things about this topic.

I for one think the drive is comperable to other drives in the game, the fact that it can generate an huge AoE or heal your ship and shields out weights any speed factor difference between the NPC version and our player version.

I don't see any Romulans I fight as a Romulan the other day healing themselves at all. Rarely even using the AoE either, thus its a give and take on the speed factor, I for one like the fact that I can stay in a fight much longer than any of my Fed or Klingon characters of comperable level.

I like the Singularity drives, I especially enjoy how you make them go critical when I kill another Romulan the ship implodes then explodes after the singularity collapses fully, very realistic.

Personally I find the drives a little better than the drives my other character us, I was noticing they seem to have a better overall sustainability, in other words I am not constantily applying batteries to keep my systems going, yes the drives power your ship so less devices consumed means they can be saved for the true Oh crap moments in battle. Not eating through them just to sustain your systems.

Overall I think the Singularity drives are done well, but as was stated a little more lore on them would be nice.
Captain
# 982
05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamipoi View Post
true there is probly a better way to do that but hey you do the math and tell me your results.
10 less weapon power results in 8% less damage.

10 less shield power results in 2.8% less shield damage reduction (though the math here gets pretty complicated based on the number of buffs to the point where it becomes even more negligible - not sure about the regen factor lost).

Both Eng and Aux will be more complicated as well because of the various things they effect - speed, turn, defense - Aux, oh so many things. Heck, even the loss of Shield Power is going to affect Extend Shields as well.

We can throw various numbers at them all we want though - and - this is where communication back and forth with Cryptic is important...what are the expectations?

Is the issue really the loss of power or is the issue about the "power" of the abilities, their durations, their cooldowns, the amount of time it takes to build singularity power, etc, etc, etc?

Rather than saying that the abilities are not worth it and they should get rid of them...why not suggest how the abilities might be worth it?

Get some dialogue going back and forth...that sort of thing.

I sure don't think the abilities are perfect - yes, they've all got their uses - I think they need to be tweaked. Course, I wasn't taking into account the mods on Singularity Cores...but I think those should be an above and beyond thing. The SC abilities need to balanced for what is lost...not some additional opportunity cost down the road.
Commander
# 983
05-13-2013, 10:28 AM
well my math was close on the weapons thanks for doing it further as i said the other subsystems are not as big and issue but the weapons will be atleast for the ha'nom.

to make these skills worht while? well i still think they should be optional though.
but for the shockwave id lower the plasma dot damage and put a little bit more into the kinetic damage.

the healing one is alright. the shadow would be nice if as someone else said the stealth came sooner than later more inline with say the rhode island photonic displacment.(or atleast a second before they disapear or right as they disapear)

the singularty jumps singularty pull is far too low just like gravity wells pull it will be mostly ignored...weather it should have damage or not id opt on no aslong as its pull was more in the range of -0.65.

no opinions on the overload it does what it does just fine.

workign around the systems being weaker is goign to eat up alot of skill points and the romulans will be more suseptable to drains not an issue if your a klingon rommy but fed rommies will be capped out(powers as low as they can go) easily and thus more points must be placed in insulators or else...
Andy@andy30
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1615554000&dateline=1  365460663
Ensign
# 984 Variety and Customizations
05-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi all. There are only two things that I noticed in the open beta weekend that I can comment on and they are both dealing with ships. I noticed that their where no small craft like fighters and shuttles, and there were no carriers. I personally like the ships that are currently listed, but it would be more of a complete package, I think, if the captains where not limited to using the ally's carriers and small craft but instead had unique Romulan or Remen ships of this sort of their own. And secondly, I noticed that the ship interior's, although BEAUTIFUL , seem to have no allowance for customizations. I hope this is only due to just being in beta, but if not I would hope to see variants allowed in bridge packages and layouts that mimic the size of the ship and allowances for personalization like trophies and accolades. All in all....GREAT JOB though
Empire Veteran
# 985
05-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Since the powers will not be removed at all, to much time went into developing them.

How about this:

Singularity core behaves just like a warp core power wise.
Remove the innate power penalty from the Romulan ships.
Introduce a science console equipable only on warbirds,
this console provides the jump, warp shadows and quantum absortion.
Do the same with a tac console that provides the singularity overcharge and plasma shockwave.

That way you solve many problems, ships are on equal footing powerwise and people would don't want to use the powers are not penalized for them.
You give the player the choice which power flavor they want to use and get them balanced by having the ship using them giving up console space. Science for defense/fancy powers and tactical for offensive powers. Balancing out defense and offensive from passive consoles with defense and offense from active/singularity powers.

Next would be the battlecloak, from the veteran ship, we know that it is valued at 8% shield and hull.
Canon wise we also know that cloaking devices are rather small and can be carried by normal people.
I would suggest to decouple the cloak from the ship and create devices for them,
Equipping a cloaking device then lowers hull and shield by say 4%, for a battle cloak by 8% and a EBC by 16%.

Could do the same for the klingon ships, after normalizing their hull and shield values and device slots.
And of course turn the fed cloaking consoles into cloaking devices as well.

What is the point of all this? Allowing the players a choice how to equip and play their ship.
Captain
# 986
05-13-2013, 11:22 AM
http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=885461

"Conversely, singularity cores focus on science-based stats and modifying a Warbird-class ship?s singularity powers, giving Romulan players extra tricks with which to dispose of their enemies. Some cores boost abilities such as particle generators or graviton generators, while others instead affect the rate at which you gain singularity power or reduce the wait time between using two singularity powers. With these cores, we?re aiming to allow players to tweak their own singularity mechanics to their liking, and to play with each new singularity power to discover optimal uses for each one. Rare singularity cores let you enhance your favorite Singularity power, adding effects like high-yield torpedo redirection to your Warp Shadow or a crit severity buff during your Singularity Overcharge. Very rare cores provide an analogue to the ?capacitor? powers found on Matter/Antimatter cores: they allow you to drain your current Singularity power level and shunt a portion of it into a particular subsystem."

Have to wonder just what's out there and how that will affect things...

...also, have to wonder whether there will be Fleet/Reputation Cores...

...and what that will mean in regard to the ships/power/etc.
Rihannsu
# 987
05-13-2013, 11:24 AM
"singularity cores focus on science-based stats and modifying a Warbird-class ship?s" .... well that is not correct.

With two VA Romulans under my belt and a a blue sig core now on my ship I don't think the W-cores and S-cores are equal. Currently the W-cores are stupid good and we will see a huge boost to Fed and KDF ships.

I think it is time to remove the -40 power from Romulan ships and if not now give it a month post the LoR release and people will oh crap this needs to be fix the W-cores are very OP.
Commander
# 988
05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
what ive seen of the cores they better be holding somethign back or half of that devblogs outright bait and switch tactics.

these skills due to the power lost to get them/the time to chargethem/cooldown/recharge again and the fact that after firing the ability you lose the bonus power from the core for anouther 30-45 seconds...plus recharge yea more a hindrance then anything

taking power is fine but if we cant compensate for the cut without spending a all to large majority of our skillpoint budget its a moot point only diehard romulan fans wont care the rest of us will stick to fed klink for pvp unless they surprise me im not thrilled about endgame play as a rommy everythign up till then is good though...
Andy@andy30
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1615554000&dateline=1  365460663

Last edited by kamipoi; 05-13-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Rihannsu
# 989
05-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamipoi View Post
what ive seen of the cores they better be holding somethign back or half of that devblogs outright bait and switch tactics.

these skills due to the power lost to get them/the time to chargethem/cooldown/recharge again and the fact that after firing the ability you lose the bonus power from the core for anouther 30-45 seconds...plus recharge yea more a hindrance then anything

taking power is fine but if we cant compensate for the cut without spending a all to large majority of our skillpoint budget its a moot point only diehard romulan fans wont care the rest of us will stick to fed klink for pvp unless they surprise me im not thrilled about endgame play as a rommy everythign up till then is good though...
I have spent some good time as a VA Romulan twice and the power reduction is a pain in the back side. So many points spent into the trying to get my power back and it really still put me way under my other VA transferred toons. The still really don't balance anything at as other other still also have those skills you are just always short changed on power.

Heck I'm glad I don't pvp as Romulans are going to kicked in the teeth in pvp and if you go up vs a energy drain build bye bye Rommi.
Captain
# 990
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balordezul View Post
I have spent some good time as a VA Romulan twice and the power reduction is a pain in the back side. So many points spent into the trying to get my power back and it really still put me way under my other VA transferred toons. The still really don't balance anything at as other other still also have those skills you are just always short changed on power.

Heck I'm glad I don't pvp as Romulans are going to kicked in the teeth in pvp and if you go up vs a energy drain build bye bye Rommi.
Yeah... I was comparing some characters on live to my Romulan. Just looking at weapons power. Thrown every point and skill at it and never budged beyond 118. I think on live I hit 125 without any gear based buffs.

And like you my concern was power draining skills. Better up the points spent on protection from that