Captain
# 51
04-21-2013, 02:52 PM
..and the test monkey pastes the log..

-=Pre Episode=-
-Transporter colors are still Klingon instead of Romulan
-Tal Shiar Tachyon Deflector Array prevents science abilities from being used - it does not appear to register as a deflector, despite being able to fit into the slot.

-=An Inside Job(KDF)=-
-Numberous typos and factional errors(referring to Drake, despite being Klingon-aligned, etc.) encountered in the dialogue. I highly suggest fully reviewing all the text.

-=Enemy Action(KDF)=-
-Mission feels a bit slow requiring almost all of the relays and sensor platforms to be interacted with. Perhaps it's the lack of sense of imminence.
-Encountered a "Decoy Ship"(Negh'Var) stuck/clipping inside the central station. It seemed unable to escape and was difficult to get a firing solution on.
-At the end of the mission it says to return to Drozana, but you can simply hail the mission contact. Hailing the contact seems preferable as Drozana is a long way from Psi Velorum.

-Looking over the missions, the Contact information for previous missions seems inaccurate; listing either "Mission Simulator" or "Eta Eridani Missions" instead of actual people/contacts.

-=Sleepers(KDF)=-
-The tooltip should probably note that the T'liss System as being in the Alpha Centauri sector.
-The (presumed) Tal Shiar vessels milling about the system are hostile to the player as a KDF. I'm not sure if this is intended, but it seemed odd as they're not a mission objective.(It would be nice to get a federation aligned player to report if they are hostile to them as well.)
-The lack of need for a Remodulator to fight the Borg feels.. strange.. and potentially detrimental in preparing players for future encounters with them. However, given the status of the cube in a crippled state, it is reasonable that they are unable to adapt with things still coming online.

-"[Promotion]: Subcommander" does not finish/clear from the log when all stages are completed.

-=Cloak and Dagger(KDF)=-
-Interesting plot twists abound.
-The storyline pacing did feel a bit.. off.. during the mission though. I suspect people will have a rough time relating to sudden back and forth of it.
-Didn't really run into issues aside from the relatively crude/work-in-progress cutscenes.

-=Revelation(KDF)=-
-A random Klingon face appeared in the text window before the D'Deridex unlcloaked at the third space objective. ("This is probably an ambush sir, I suggest going to yellow alert..")
-The mission text after the second download appear in the middle of combat. I was in the midst of firing and ended up bypassing the conversation - missing the dialogue.
-"Gah! Why are there soo many different kinds of food drops that just clog up mah inventory!?"
-The Dynamic Reroute Impulse Engines are quite interesting.

-=Mind Game(KDF)=-
-Really dig the environment/atmosphere of Hakeev's ship.
-Tables were missing in the Borg Tech Lab. Various items being assembled and worked on were floating in mid air.
-Whew.. that was a rough ship battle with a lot of shield ignoring hull damage. Didn't pop, but being under 20% hull is always hair-raising.
-I half-expected a second plot twist - inception style.
-The Indoctrination percentage tracker reset to 0% and didn't clear from the quest log after that part of the mission concluded. I'm not sure if that is an intentional red herring or not.

-=Temporal Ambassador(KDF)=-
-I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was Obisek who offered distract the guard.
-Otherwise, no issues.

-=(Closing thoughts)=-
-The first bugbear I had with this episode was how spread out the missions were(it spans 4 different sectors!) and the relatively little ingame guidance. For a veteran player, this isn't as big of an issue, but new players are going to get horribly lost.
-The second thing nagging me was the flow of the storyline. I get the whole theme of infiltration, but motivations and believe-ability were conveyed poorly in a way that just subtracted from the overall cohesion of the episode. I'm kind of at a loss on what to suggest. Perhaps reworking the introduction a bit to emphasize how important it for the player to accept this infiltration assignment? I was really feeling a disconnect from my character and the plot for a major portion of the storyline.
-That aside, It did have a very enjoyable and memorable finale. Props to the team!
Captain
# 52
04-21-2013, 05:02 PM
"Sleepers"

As a Fed allied player, Romulan ships are hostile to me but they aren't "pirates" as per mission objectives. I have a feeling these are supposed to be other Tal Shiar agents out sweeping the area for the cube.

It would make more sense to find pirates at the cube than drifting aimlessly in the middle of nowhere. ("We found it first, buzz off greenblood.")

I like the sinister atmosphere of the interior of the cube. It's very VERY dark, weird, and confusing. Just how the Borg should be. However, the music selection should be one of the darker options to enhance the mood.

Blowing things up to salvage the parts doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Wouldn't it be better to cut the parts free with one of those cutting beam? You could even introduce the player to your little mini-games here: As per dilithium mining, adjust the focus of the laser to remove the Borg components. If you really like blowing things up, at least move the things we need to blow up away from the members of the other teams.

The commander mentions that we can destroy nodes to further cripple the ship, however this never becomes an element of the mission. I assumed the nodes were the large green-lit prismatic thingies, but they don't show up as something I can destroy. Probably easiest just to remove that line of text.

Fighting these borg is nothing like fighting later borg because they do not adapt to gunfire, one the defining traits of the borg in combat. It's fine to give them "easy mode" adaptation rates (like the hordes of drones in Khitomer Ground contro room), but the player MUST be taught what a remodulator is and what happens when they don't use one. If you want to make it more focused and dramatic, I saw an Elite: have the Elite adapt and have the commander kill it for you in a cutscene before chastising you for not having a remodulator.
Republic Veteran
# 53
04-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
"Sleepers"

Fighting these borg is nothing like fighting later borg because they do not adapt to gunfire, one the defining traits of the borg in combat. It's fine to give them "easy mode" adaptation rates (like the hordes of drones in Khitomer Ground contro room), but the player MUST be taught what a remodulator is and what happens when they don't use one. If you want to make it more focused and dramatic, I saw an Elite: have the Elite adapt and have the commander kill it for you in a cutscene before chastising you for not having a remodulator.
Honestly, I have never understood this mentality. I realize you want people to adapt to endgame, but this is no where near endgame. Having endgame mechanic in something early on only adds unnecessary difficulty that can dishearten players. Furthermore, in my opinion the fights are challenging enough just by sheer numbers without effectively making weapons useless because the borg adapted.

If you want to fix people who don't understand endgame, do it at endgame. Make it clear how important it is to the mechanics of what you are doing at the time, Not unnecessarily increase the difficulty of a level 17/18 mission so people aren't confused.
Career Officer
# 54
04-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Ok, I love it all so far, not noticing too much for bugs. I think that some of the big boss battles earlier on should be toned down a bit. It was awful hard to take down some of those boss ships. Also, please tell me somebody is going to proofread all of the text. I have noticed so many spelling and grammatical errors, I'm not even going to try to list them. If you dont have anyone to go over that stuff, I would be happy to do it for you. Send me the script, I'll revise it...
Captain
# 55
04-21-2013, 05:57 PM
"Cloak and Dagger"

This mission has a lot going for it. Overall it's a very good one!

A few niggles though. Of course.

The colony leader seemed awfully eager to set off that bomb. He seemed like a political terrorist more than a colony leader: "All my people will die for the cause!" Really? Did you ask them? Seeing as this colony is supposed to be another member of the Romulan Republic, it left me feeling very concerned about what wild-eyed crazy people we have on our side. Have his first thought be for his people, and his second thought be for vengeance.

The artwork of the colony deserves a special commendation: Whoever worked on this map did an outstanding job.

Dong the shuttle thing 4 times over got rather tedious. Keep it fresh by
* making one shuttle captured by the Tal Shiar with civilians watching from hiding nearby. Kill all the agents and the civvies will run for it.
* one shuttle needs its colonists rescued (what we have now, but more colonists in one area)
* one shuttle needs a few parts before it can fly, cover a mechanic while they get it ready

Sela's presence was.... poorly explained? We were flying in a shuttle, then "ZOMG it's Sela!" How? What? I didn't see anything. That cutscene needs some polishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Honestly, I have never understood this mentality. I realize you want people to adapt to endgame, but this is no where near endgame.
This mentality is due to the fact that every single time we see people fighting the Borg with energy weapon, the Borg adapt. It's one of their core defining features. It's directly in violation of canon that they aren't adapting. I'm okay with the adaptation being "generous" for newbie-coddling gameplay purposes, but somewhere in that mission it must be addressed.
Career Officer
# 56
04-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
"Cloak and Dagger"Sela's presence was.... poorly explained? We were flying in a shuttle, then "ZOMG it's Sela!" How? What? I didn't see anything. That cutscene needs some polishing.
If you look out the window of the shuttle, I think you can barely make out the shape of a Scimitar.
Peace Through Tyranny
Lieutenant
# 57
04-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Transwarping in "Enemy Action" is broken it takes me to Psi Velorum sector instead of Eta Eridani, which is no where near drozana
Even a beautiful orchid can be deadly.
Career Officer
# 58
04-22-2013, 04:22 AM
In temporal Ambassador, having the hand drawn map in that little box next to the the button, and under neath the big giant view screen with nothing but an image of a book in it makes the map a bit harder to read. Maybe not that important, but it's a wierd place for the map to appear, and it's not very convient for checking your progress in the tunnels.
Survivor of Romulus
# 59
04-22-2013, 04:36 AM
The map's also a pain to access if you habitually use shooter mode.
Lieutenant
# 60
04-22-2013, 06:25 AM
A very interesting arc. I liked the characters, most of them have a personality, except the other Romulan Republic spy in the Tal Shiar. He's just there for the plot but that's it.

I liked the insane colony leader willing to blow the planet up. This is the kind of "bad guy" we often see in star trek episodes, and the plot was a bit more complex than "beam down and kill everyone". Great mission.

My favourite one so far is "mind game". This one is really excellent! I think it could use some cosmetic improvement: the Tal Shiar clickable boxes are all red and the "good" choices are green. The colours make the "good" choice visually more attractive. You should make the bad guy choice orange so that people really have a choice.

The percentage also comes back at 0% right after we are converted to a good RR soldier. Is it a typo? Can't you change the text instead?

The funniest moments were the scientists and guards running after the borg walker. This was really awesome.

An inside job: Could you please add a tailor on Drozana so that we can use the Tal Shiar uniform we're supposed to wear when we play the next episode? Looking for another social zone broke a bit my immersion.

Revelation: I don't remember this episodes very well but I remember being a bit confused, there were friendly and enemy NPCs, both were Tal Shiar. Why?

Enemy action: I like the fact that we could choose what to do. Too bad i couldn't save the Vulcan captain.

Enemy action: Excellent episode, fighting makes sense here. Too bad the mission reward wasn't Borg-themed!

All the maps were awesome, especially the Mind Game one. I hope we'll see it again.