Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 203
# 1 Ground Combat needs a makeover
04-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Some of the features of ground combat need reworked. The features that really stick out are these-

Crouch/Kneel - This maneuver in real life is used in order to steady your rifle and improve your aim, that part I can go along with but it also gives you damage resistance from physical attacks. Really? All I need do is kneel and the guy punching or swinging a sword at me isn't going to hurt me as bad? To fix this and make it plausible Cryptic needs to scrap the dmg resistance and make it so when you crouch you do bonus dmg with your weapon and if you're already aiming you do a bit more dmg. For dmg resistance they need to incorporate a feature Champions has which is a block. The block would mitigate some physical (Would not mitigate energy dmg from weapons) dmg but could only be used while standing. Also if you're kneeling/crouching it should be easier to know you down.

Melee Knock down/Knock back - These work fine but the only problem I have is when you see some itty bitty toon knock a huge Gorn down or back. I agree this can be done but it should be really hard to do. I recommend species/characters that have a bonus to strength get a bonus to resist knock downs/backs, the bigger the strength bonus the bigger the resist.

Martial Arts - You get HtH moves if you don't have a weapon slotted and you can equip a kit to give you more moves. I recommend they scrap the kit and create a 3 button MA that you can equip like you do weapons or maybe it would overwrite the basic HtH moves allowing you to still slot 2 weapons. This would allow players more choices for their character. They could create moves for kung fu, karate, judo, etc. Also they could come up with MA moves for the various races. How many of you would like your Klingon to be able to use Mok'bara or be able to use claw attacks with your Caitan? How many of you would slap down cash at the c-store for this? Also these should be open to all career paths and not just tac officers.


Grenades - All military people learn to throw a grenade just like they learn to fire a weapon. Grenades need to be a consumable that you can buy and equip in your device slot. To balance it out you could up the cool down time or limit the number carried on the sci and eng officers or do both.

These are all I can think of at the moment but if anyone has more feel free to add on to this list.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,836
# 2
04-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Ground combat got a makeover and this is what we got stuck with. At this point I'd say leave it alone, they haven't proven they can do the job.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 203
# 3
04-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Ground combat got a makeover and this is what we got stuck with. At this point I'd say leave it alone, they haven't proven they can do the job.
True, but we can always hope they will listen and make some improvements. I plan on reminding them often.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 4
04-19-2013, 05:53 AM
I hate the ground combat part of the game, if I can get reputation points or whatever I am after by doing space I'll go for it.

I would have rathered a more FPS style ground part of the game like Elite Force or Halo. At least those seem to work well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,026
# 5
04-19-2013, 07:31 AM
pew pew pew remod
pew pew pew pew remod
pew remod
pew remod
pew remod
pew pew pew pew remod


knockback is idotic, the 'guns' are treated like magic wands, the animations need binned & redone, its not like this company doesn't know how to do a gun game, blacklight works fine.

may be better to treat the classes as assault/medic, engineer/heavy and recon/saboteur and i suggest the devs need to go play ufo:aftermath & conflict: vietnam to get an idea about squad based shooters & rpg's with guns.

playing arma 1 is the only game i can think of thats more annoying than the interface here.
as it turns out, an intrepid would lose a fight with a connie.
and thats canon.
! the power of plot compels you.
Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 277
# 6
04-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
Some of the features of ground combat need reworked. The features that really stick out are these-

Crouch/Kneel - This maneuver in real life is used in order to steady your rifle and improve your aim, that part I can go along with but it also gives you damage resistance from physical attacks. Really? All I need do is kneel and the guy punching or swinging a sword at me isn't going to hurt me as bad? To fix this and make it plausible Cryptic needs to scrap the dmg resistance and make it so when you crouch you do bonus dmg with your weapon and if you're already aiming you do a bit more dmg. For dmg resistance they need to incorporate a feature Champions has which is a block. The block would mitigate some physical (Would not mitigate energy dmg from weapons) dmg but could only be used while standing. Also if you're kneeling/crouching it should be easier to know you down.
You got this backwards,crouching gives you a chance to dodge ranged attacks ,but also increases the damage you take from melee attacks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 203
# 7
04-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharodon1975 View Post
You got this backwards,crouching gives you a chance to dodge ranged attacks ,but also increases the damage you take from melee attacks.
Sorry I did misread that, didn't catch the minus in front. And I can go along with crouching making you harder to hit since you're essentially making yourself a smaller target. I do a lot of jumping back and forth between Champs & STO so sometimes my memory of the mechanics is a bit fuddled but has crouch always had those same stats tied to it?

Also I still think it should give you a aim/dmg bonus since by crouching you have a steadier shot.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 8
04-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
I hate the ground combat part of the game, if I can get reputation points or whatever I am after by doing space I'll go for it.

I would have rathered a more FPS style ground part of the game like Elite Force or Halo. At least those seem to work well.
Agreed. I've never liked the ground combat in this game. Part of it is because my computer doesn't handle ground combat nearly as well as space combat, and part of it is because of the way ground combat is structured.

I, too, would prefer to restrict Star Trek ground combat to an FPS. If it were done well, I'd play the hell out of a 'Star Trek Battlefront' game (something like Star Wars Battlefront), or a Republic Commandos game set in a Star Trek format.

That's the one good thing that the new Star Trek game promises, it puts Star Trek into a potentially good FPS setting. We'll see how that turns out.

I don't like ground in STO, and I wish they'd stop devoting so many resources for it (3 ground adventure zones with a 4th one on the way). I want a fixed Ker'rat zone and more zones like it. I want expanded space PvP.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 993
# 9
04-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
pew pew pew remod
pew pew pew pew remod
pew remod
pew remod
pew remod
pew pew pew pew remod


knockback is idotic, the 'guns' are treated like magic wands, the animations need binned & redone, its not like this company doesn't know how to do a gun game, blacklight works fine.

may be better to treat the classes as assault/medic, engineer/heavy and recon/saboteur and i suggest the devs need to go play ufo:aftermath & conflict: vietnam to get an idea about squad based shooters & rpg's with guns.

playing arma 1 is the only game i can think of thats more annoying than the interface here.
Blacklight Retribution is from Zombie Studios, not Cryptic.

And this is a MMO, not a FPS, therefore we play with MMO mechanics
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,026
# 10
04-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkollins View Post
Blacklight Retribution is from Zombie Studios, not Cryptic.

And this is a MMO, not a FPS, therefore we play with MMO mechanics
both are mmo's, this one is an rpg. an rpg thats got guns not magic wands.

even if br is from a different studio its still under pwe just like sto, and so they should capitalise on that.
as it turns out, an intrepid would lose a fight with a connie.
and thats canon.
! the power of plot compels you.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 AM.