Captain
This is bugging me, even though I am struggling with an acceptable alternative model. It just seems like when I'm talking to Romulans, they say thing that don't sound Romulan in my brain. Stuff like, "The bugs are going crazy!"

It just seems very weird, as far as how some of the dialogue is written. I'm wondering if I'm alone in that reaction.

For some reason, Romulans don't speak like Romulans.

Last edited by kirksplat; 04-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 2
04-19-2013, 10:24 AM
I've noticed the same thing. They sound like human farmers with pointy ears, as if Dr. McCoy fathered an entire colony of Southern half-Romulans and then took off (Have fun with that image now).

Every Romulan I've ever seen in the series (And I've seen it ALL) has always been much more collected, imperious, and even a bit sibilant. And when they do get moved to "extreme emotions" even their shouting seems regulated and gauged, as if their rage is really a front to test a response. I can understand these Romulans trying to get over the xenophobia of the old Star Empire, but remember that is a trait of the species and needs to be more apparent, regardless of whether they are Tal Shiar or simple colonists.
Career Officer
# 3
04-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
This is bugging me, even though I am struggling with an acceptable alternative model. It just seems like when I'm talking to Romulans, they say thing that don't sound Romulan in my brain. Stuff like, "The bugs are going crazy!"

It just seems very weird, as far as how some of the dialogue is written. I'm wondering if I'm alone in that reaction.

For some reason, Romulans don't speak like Romulans.
The only time we ever saw some Romulan civilians was in the TNG two part episode "Unification"; and they seemed to have a wide range of emotion and mundane concerns. I

Honestly, what in the Romulan Colony NPC dialogue is so jarring to the point that "It doesn't sound 'Romulan'; as in 40 years of watching Star Trek - I don't think I've seen anything in Romulan speech paterns that's uniquely 'Romulan'.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
# 4
04-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Or maybe they just don't sound like high-ranking military officers or politicians, and you are mistaking that ductus for a "Romulan" one because on screen, the only Romulans we saw and heard talking were, well, high-ranking military officers and politicians...
Empire Veteran
# 5
04-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I don't believe we've seen too many Romulan farmers before this.

(Maybe upper-class Romulans go to fancy prep schools, unlike the other 99%.)
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
04-19-2013, 10:44 AM
I got through level 10 last night and none of the NPCs said "IT'S A FAAAKE!" that's a travesty.

Seriously though we're seeing different Romulans than we ever have before. If course they're going to speak differently. In the same way that a Kansas farmer speaks differently than a New Hampshire Senator, but both are still Americans.

When you run into Admirals and Tal Shiar guys and Sela, they speak more like the upper crust/military/spy Romulans from the shows.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 04-19-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 7
04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
And how are they suppose to speak....these people been free from the watchful eye of an oppressive government where if you don't watch what you say you die......now they are free to talk how they want without worries.
The Only good Iconian is a DEAD Iconian

Would you like to know more?
Lieutenant
# 8
04-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
When you run into Admirals and Tal Shiar guys and Sela, they speak more like the upper crust/military/spy Romulans from the shows.
Unfortunately you are killing those guys, instead of working for them. :\
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
04-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisande77 View Post
Unfortunately you are killing those guys, instead of working for them. :\
Considering how insane some of them are its for the best.
Career Officer
# 10
04-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
"The insect population is displaying erratic behavior" - nah, too Vulcan.