Lieutenant
# 11
04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Considering how insane some of them are its for the best.
And still some of us want to be like Commander Tomalak. Or if you have more of a conscience the captain from Balance of Terror.
Rihannsu
# 12
04-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisande77 View Post
And still some of us want to be like Commander Tomalak. Or if you have more of a conscience the captain from Balance of Terror.
Given how little dialogue there is for our actual character I wouldnt think there would be much problem in acting like Tomalak or Commander Keras (loose name for TOS male commander) or Commander Toreth. Just act in such a way that you emulate them, it takes a bit of roleplay to do it correctly but neither the Fed or Kdf give a full meaning to their captains either.

-Seacat
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
04-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Make a Foundry mission You can have the player act however you want.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Honestly, what in the Romulan Colony NPC dialogue is so jarring to the point that "It doesn't sound 'Romulan'; as in 40 years of watching Star Trek - I don't think I've seen anything in Romulan speech paterns that's uniquely 'Romulan'.
The line that one woman you talk to gives about the whole shifitng-blame-to-look-better-thing being 'old-fashioned'. C'mon, at least turn it back on him a little!

If I wanted Romulans that spend their time chasing bunnies and acting all aloof and Federation-y, I'd have spent more than thirty minutes on New Romulus without wanting to vomit. This is genericized twaddle to drive sales of green ship skins, not a story based on the Romulans as presented in the IP - neither original TOS flavor nor TNG-onward.

Oh, and the Collectors-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off don't help either.
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-19-2013, 10:24 PM
I was going to post something too.

This is part of why I dont feel like I am having a Rounlan experience. The graphics and atmosphere are there.

The dialog sounds very un romulan. Mostly its the banter the BOs say. Its just too goody goody, gee whiz type stuff.

Romulans are passionate. The culture would be more akin to the Romans in Spartacus. Most of the interaction seems a bit for lack of a better word sappy. At times it verges on juvunile.

The answer options you are given often make my toon sound like a boy scout.

Tamalak was not Dudly Do Right.
PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY
Career Officer
# 16
04-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Obviously what's needed is more Romulan Ale.
Commander
# 17
04-19-2013, 10:42 PM
See, the problem here is that you're still expecting Cryptic to be competent. I went in assuming that everything would be horrible, and was happily blown away to discover that there were a few things that were actually good, like the lovely set designs and the cool scripted events. I didn't even notice the horrible writing until you pointed it out; it just blended right in to the rest of the horrible writing in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guriphu View Post
See, the problem here is that you're still expecting Cryptic to be competent. I went in assuming that everything would be horrible, and was happily blown away to discover that there were a few things that were actually good, like the lovely set designs and the cool scripted events. I didn't even notice the horrible writing until you pointed it out; it just blended right in to the rest of the horrible writing in the game.

yeah... but ... the klingon bad writing at least throws honor and targ and certain well known phrases in here and there so you feel like you are talking with klingons.

Your dialog options are Blank Off and Blank Off and Die (unless its a Fed centric mission and then you get the sappy do gooder choice)

I cringe everytime Tovan opens his mouth
PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
04-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately you are killing those guys, instead of working for them. :\
*spoiler alert*

except that out of that entire colony, only 2 of you dont die......
Romulus burned, untold billions died.
It's the Tal'shiars doing, Sela lied.
Vengeance is born, with eternal scorn.
New Romulus rises.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 20
04-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Much of the text hasn't had a final pass, so a lot of the text is early draft placeholder, especially when it comes to side comments and later missions.