Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 461
# 21
04-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Well, that's nice to hear. I look forward to seeing what you can do to make us feel like the proud, calculating pragmatists we know and love, rather than a bunch of 50s comic book characters.
Ensign
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 24
# 22
04-20-2013, 01:11 AM
I noticed in a dialogue a romulan saying "lets feel them out" which creeps on the edge of earth american slang or street talk. "Let's see what they are like" or "let us see what they are like" would be better. romulans seem to use proper, non-shortcut methods of speaking. that is where you see the disconnect, i think. they also speak with more confidence.. "i think you are wrong." is improper for a romulan.. "i believe you are wrong." Is more romulan speech. romulans don't use street talk and slang. they speak with pride and formality.

romulan dialogue is direct, proper, & proud/confident.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 461
# 23
04-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs5519 View Post
I noticed in a dialogue a romulan saying "lets feel them out" which creeps on the edge of earth american slang or street talk. "Let's see what they are like" or "let us see what they are like" would be better. romulans seem to use proper, non-shortcut methods of speaking. that is where you see the disconnect, i think. they also speak with more confidence.. "i think you are wrong." is improper for a romulan.. "i believe you are wrong." Is more romulan speech. romulans don't use street talk and slang. they speak with pride and formality.

romulan dialogue is direct, proper, & proud/confident.
This. Exactly this. Romulans should vary from simple, direct, and dignified; to sneering, haughty, and cruel; to powerful, passionate, and cunning; but never crude, timorous, or unrefined. To be Romulan is to be part of a proud and ancient culture that accepts as an intrinsic fact that simply being Romulan is an honor and a duty.

Cryptic, if you want to sell the Legacy of Romulus, sell us that.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,735
# 24
04-20-2013, 04:18 AM
first mission dialogue after choosing alliance.

"it is an honor to be of service to our ally, the Klingon empire"


i mean are you kidding me?!?!??!?!? same sentiment in romulan speech:

"Your distrust is unwarranted. Our performance in battle will show this to all warriors worthy of the name among our allies."

or something like that. We are rommies! we are better then you.....simple as that.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 461
# 25
04-20-2013, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
first mission dialogue after choosing alliance.

"it is an honor to be of service to our ally, the Klingon empire"


i mean are you kidding me?!?!??!?!? same sentiment in romulan speech:

"Your distrust is unwarranted. Our performance in battle will show this to all warriors worthy of the name among our allies."

or something like that. We are rommies! we are better then you.....simple as that.
"Mistrust us if it pleases you, Klingon. You need us as much as we need you."
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 395
# 26
04-20-2013, 05:17 AM
A lot of the Klingon dialogue appears to be some of the best of TNG, been enjoying the liberal use of Klingon vocab thrown about.

Other than the odd spelling error, the Romulan dialogue seems fine, suited to the characters they're meant to be. I agree with some of the points that the things like contractions are a little over the top at times, I thought Romulans were generally quite formal people, but, I definitely wouldn't describe it as 'bad'.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 868
# 27
04-20-2013, 05:18 AM
It's worth remembering these aren't your grandfather's Rommies. They've gone through a lot, wait for the VO, that may make them sound more romulan to you.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,613
# 28
04-20-2013, 05:19 AM
I agree with OP they don't talk or sound like romulans
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,613
# 29
04-20-2013, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
first mission dialogue after choosing alliance.

"it is an honor to be of service to our ally, the Klingon empire"


i mean are you kidding me?!?!??!?!? same sentiment in romulan speech:

"Your distrust is unwarranted. Our performance in battle will show this to all warriors worthy of the name among our allies."

or something like that. We are rommies! we are better then you.....simple as that.
"it is an honor to be of service to our ally, the Klingon empire" I found that very funny when I saw it in game
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 161
# 30
04-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
first mission dialogue after choosing alliance.

"it is an honor to be of service to our ally, the Klingon empire"


i mean are you kidding me?!?!??!?!? same sentiment in romulan speech:

"Your distrust is unwarranted. Our performance in battle will show this to all warriors worthy of the name among our allies."

or something like that. We are rommies! we are better then you.....simple as that.
This

I don't know... I may be wrong and I know these Romulans aren't with the RSE/Tal Shiar but it feels like they are losing what makes them a Romulan. Choosing an Alliance? I guess but somehow it's like they are losing their identity. Maybe I should wait for more stuff to be released... I am happy we are finally getting Romulans and so far it's been great to test some of the things but something doesn't feel right.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 AM.