Lt. Commander
# 1 Open Beta Key Availability
01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi everyone!

We're aware that some people have been having difficulties finding an Open Beta Key so they can join us in the Star Trek Online Open Beta. Simply put, our partners have been running out of keys almost as soon as we've given them!

Here's the good news:

We're sending out more keys! Over the next couple of days, many of our partners will be releasing more keys to allow you to join us in Open Beta! Just a few of the sites that you'll want to keep an eye on for keys are listed below:
  • IGN/Fileplanet
  • Rock, Paper, Shotgun
  • Eurogamer (DE/DK/UK)
  • Alltern8
  • Allvatar
  • Buffed DE...

And many more! Please keep an eye on our Open Beta Page to be kept aware of where you can get beta keys. We will update that page with more information as we here about our partners putting their keys out there!

Thanks!

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Or just pre-order!
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-14-2010, 09:43 PM
even with (amazon) preorder i had to wait on a key, ended up paying 6 bucks to get one from fileshack (they're out FYI)
Lt. Commander
# 4 ehhh...
01-14-2010, 11:52 PM
i dont want to pay i just really want a beta key

live long and prosper
Lt. Commander
I am a noob looking to get into STO so I went ahead and preordered a copy from walmart online how do I get access to the beta?? Thanks for the help
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Skymocker
even with (amazon) preorder i had to wait on a key, ended up paying 6 bucks to get one from fileshack (they're out FYI)
I just preordered with Amazon and got no info on a key. Do they send it with the box? That would be ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Hi everyone!

We're aware that some people have been having difficulties finding an Open Beta Key so they can join us in the Star Trek Online Open Beta. Simply put, our partners have been running out of keys almost as soon as we've given them!

Here's the good news:

We're sending out more keys! Over the next couple of days, many of our partners will be releasing more keys to allow you to join us in Open Beta! Just a few of the sites that you'll want to keep an eye on for keys are listed below:
  • IGN/Fileplanet
  • Rock, Paper, Shotgun
  • Eurogamer (DE/DK/UK)
  • Alltern8
  • Allvatar
  • Buffed DE...

And many more! Please keep an eye on our Open Beta Page to be kept aware of where you can get beta keys. We will update that page with more information as we here about our partners putting their keys out there!

Thanks!

Stormshade

How exactly is it an open beta if you have to scrounge for a key?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad9 View Post
How exactly is it an open beta if you have to scrounge for a key?
..or having to pay for one, im surpised that some big name sites are only giving open beta keys for premium accounts after subscribing..i mean i understand its a way to generate income so i dont totally blame them, but i didnt think Cryptic would be happy with open beta keys effectively being sold?
Lt. Commander
Who was the moron who decided that open beta keys should be given to sites that require you to purchase a membership with them in order to get a key? And, a $300 lifetime membership? That's a lot of money to chance on a game that could fold in less than a year. I'm not saying that the game will fold, but with the way things are, it's possible. Personally, the open beta keys should have went to registered users of the STO forums and any that were left should have been given out to reputable gaming sites with the stipulation that they were to be given away, not sold.

*kicks anti-grav soapbox into the corner*
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-15-2010, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative_One View Post
I just preordered with Amazon and got no info on a key. Do they send it with the box? That would be ridiculous.
Amazon uk/us stopped giving out beta keys on January 7th sorry, all you will get for preordering now is the borg bridge officer and the collectors edition codes that are contained in the box, sorry to be the one to have to tell you this though.