Lt. Commander
# 131
01-24-2010, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkaat
Why is it so hard to get a key? I have been trying for 2 weeks with no luck,just want to try the game to see if i'll buy it,why not just make it so we can try it out for like 3 days,o well =/
Once the game is released you get 1 month free play time to decide. You won't be able to decide if you like the game or not until it has full content. If you are insistant, pre-order, use key, decide then cancel the pre-order if you are stupid enough to think that what you see is what you will get at release.
Lt. Commander
# 132
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytail View Post
Who was the moron who decided that open beta keys should be given to sites that require you to purchase a membership with them in order to get a key? And, a $300 lifetime membership? That's a lot of money to chance on a game that could fold in less than a year. I'm not saying that the game will fold, but with the way things are, it's possible. Personally, the open beta keys should have went to registered users of the STO forums and any that were left should have been given out to reputable gaming sites with the stipulation that they were to be given away, not sold.

*kicks anti-grav soapbox into the corner*
i got my key from nvidia straight away for nothing. i would never ever pay to play a beta.. beta is a means to help test a game and get a feel for it to see if you will commit to a subscription plan.. you shouldnt really have to pay for open beta, in most other mmo's you wouldnt really require an open beta key either.
Lt. Commander
# 133
01-25-2010, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't stress about getting a beta key. If this is anything like Cryptic's last "hit" game Champions Online, the game will do so poorly they'll be offering free trials within a month or so, at the latest.
Lt. Commander
# 134
01-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Yeah...sure they will. I think you naysayers will be eating your words in a few months time, while the rest of us are enjoying the game.
Lt. Commander
# 135
01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Curse.com has Beta Keys Still! In case you wanted one.

http://www.curse.com/keys/sto/default.aspx

pay $5 for a monthly fee through paypal and then cancel once you get your beta key! Have fun, and join us at the big event at 2pm PST in game!
Lt. Commander
# 136
01-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZenith View Post
Yeah...sure they will. I think you naysayers will be eating your words in a few months time, while the rest of us are enjoying the game.
well i dunno words aren't taste and also..... in my case im not sayin nay at all (in fact i've waited for sto since it was announced, & developed under perpetual) but i was actually planning on waiting a few months before i get the game....... i played a week of beta & was lagging badly when its peek hours, so i will hold back for a few months for the game & the servers to mature & stabilize.....rid of any remaining bugs... i know this will mean that i would be at a disadvantage as well as losing the option of being a lifer but hey, i WILL be there for sure

the sooner the system is running smoothly the sooner i'll sign up

see u guys out there in a while, in the mean time all i can say is "I'LL BE BACK"
Lt. Commander
# 137
01-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiconAlpha View Post
..or having to pay for one, im surpised that some big name sites are only giving open beta keys for premium accounts after subscribing..i mean i understand its a way to generate income so i dont totally blame them, but i didnt think Cryptic would be happy with open beta keys effectively being sold?
this is nothing new and happens with 90% of Beta keys.
IGN did it with all the Battlefield games and more recently Fallen Earth.

CP just want the publicity and no doubt there cut from the sub sales on these sites
Lt. Commander
# 138
01-27-2010, 01:04 AM
I decided not to use my Beat key and wait till the game is out this time around.

Its been hard, I feel like a crack head itching to play it lol.

Only a few days left now.