Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I have an Intel 2.4ghz quad core and 4 gigs of ram. I noticed when running STO last night that my fans were kickin into high gear occasionally. I download and ran Hardware Sensors Monitor 4.4 and I watched as I started the game today. I shut the game down when my GPU reached 120C!!! The ambient temperature of the graphics card hit 77C!!! This can't be good???? I have a GeForce 8800GT and I've heard they run hot at about 111'ish C. but 120 seems super hot right? am I gonna fry? Anyone know if this is safe or not?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Something aint right there , 90 degrees ( even that too high) is about max it ever wants to go.

Check your fans etc, you havent lowered the video card fan speed with Rivatuner or the like and forgot?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawulf View Post
I have an Intel 2.4ghz quad core and 4 gigs of ram. I noticed when running STO last night that my fans were kickin into high gear occasionally. I download and ran Hardware Sensors Monitor 4.4 and I watched as I started the game today. I shut the game down when my GPU reached 120C!!! The ambient temperature of the graphics card hit 77C!!! This can't be good???? I have a GeForce 8800GT and I've heard they run hot at about 111'ish C. but 120 seems super hot right? am I gonna fry? Anyone know if this is safe or not?
Where did it happen was it in pico system thats when mine first did it.

Does it do it on low settings?

Give some more info. I have the same problem but My card crashes at 104c Its a GTX 280.
I also have a quadcore.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnvy View Post
Where did it happen was it in pico system thats when mine first did it.

Does it do it on low settings?

Give some more info. I have the same problem but My card crashes at 104c Its a GTX 280.
I also have a quadcore.
I haven't tried lower settings. this thing idles at between 83-86C just running win 7! I loaded into K7 and watched it from there...it stayed pretty consistent at about 111-113C which a benchmark I found online recorded this temperature running other games too...i'll ge tthe link if u want it.

Point is...most places on the Earth don't get this hot...I don't want to blow up my puter lol. What do you think?

btw what other info do you want me to give i'll get it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawulf View Post
I haven't tried lower settings. this thing idles at between 83-86C just running win 7! I loaded into K7 and watched it from there...it stayed pretty consistent at about 111-113C which a benchmark I found online recorded this temperature running other games too...i'll ge tthe link if u want it.

Point is...most places on the Earth don't get this hot...I don't want to blow up my puter lol. What do you think?

btw what other info do you want me to give i'll get it?
My experience is that i run a nice cool 70 c which is still F'n crazy hot for my video card. I have a 100% copper heat sink and fan. I have never peaked above 85 on crysis. This is software. When I go to use any video setting above low, i get a core temp runaway and it crashes. Like i said some systems do this anyway. Pico will always push my GPU in to thermal runaway. I have been asking the devs for anwers and submitted tickets and emailed tech support and there is not word as of yet. Lets keep the push on and they will take care of the problem. LOUD minorities can move mountains. take for instance SWG a small number said Oh this is too hard and they screwed everyone out of a sweet game. SO keep these threads open alive and on the top page for results!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I don't care what you're running, that is too hot. You cannot have your GPU running that hot, especially not for extended periods of time. You could cook a steak on that sucker!

As a first step, try simply blowing out your fans with a can of compressed air (or something along those lines). That'll shave off some if there's dust in there. You should also ensure that the case actually have enough ventilation, so that heat isn't just building up in there.

I'm guessing your 8800GT is using one of the single-slot coolers, because there's no way a double slot would get that hot, but that's still just too high. If worse came to worse, I suppose you could always just slap some Arctic Silver #5 under the heatsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawulf View Post
I haven't tried lower settings. this thing idles at between 83-86C just running win 7! I loaded into K7 and watched it from there...it stayed pretty consistent at about 111-113C which a benchmark I found online recorded this temperature running other games too...i'll ge tthe link if u want it.

Point is...most places on the Earth don't get this hot...I don't want to blow up my puter lol. What do you think?

btw what other info do you want me to give i'll get it?
Yeah, that's not normal. That is just way to high. Those should be your load temps (or at least close), not your idle temps. Even my single-slot cooled Radeon X850 pro didn't get that high, and that thing could double as a water heater for a four bedroom house just about.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Yeah, I don't care what you're running, that is too hot. You cannot have your GPU running that hot, especially not for extended periods of time. You could cook a steak on that sucker!

As a first step, try simply blowing out your fans with a can of compressed air (or something along those lines). That'll shave off some if there's dust in there. You should also ensure that the case actually have enough ventilation, so that heat isn't just building up in there.

I'm guessing your 8800GT is using one of the single-slot coolers, because there's no way a double slot would get that hot, but that's still just too high. If worse came to worse, I suppose you could always just slap some Arctic Silver #5 under the heatsink

This is not a hardware issue. Please let everyone know its software this problem did not exsist untill open beta.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Your saying a game can make a graphics card burn up . nahhhhh
Only thing i could think, is with everything switched to full its too much for the card , but shouldnt be causing no 120 degrees stuff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
here's some info from a dxdiag report:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: KJ165AA-ABA m9152p
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/05/07 11:10:18 Ver: 5.11
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0611&SUBSYS_06DC19F1&REV_A2
Display Memory: 2287 MB
Dedicated Memory: 495 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: F22
Monitor Id: ACR0060
Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.954Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,n vwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0011.9562 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.11.9562
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/20/2009 20:34:54, 11775080 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnvy View Post
This is not a hardware issue. Please let everyone know its software this problem did not exsist untill open beta.
While I agree that closed beta did not have this problem, as I noted in another thread, if your system cannot take a simple piece of software, regardless of how intensive it is, then it's not properly cooled. A system should be able to run burn-in programs like Prime95 and Furmark and remain within acceptable ranges before it can be considered adequately cooled.

It's likely that there is an issue with the software client that's causing more heat than normal, but that doesn't change the fact that the only people who could be dangerously affected are those who already had inadequate cooling. I mean, look at the OP's idle temps. The GPU hits the mid 80s just running Windows! That is not acceptable cooling.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:50 PM.