Lt. Commander
# 21
01-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
First off, you need to calm down. I'm not denying that there is a problem in the client's coding; it's obvious there is. If you took a moment to chill out and listen, you would have seen me mention that.

That said, that, in and of itself, cannot damage hardware just by running, because, again, all software can do is take up clock cycles, and hardware is designed to run at full load if it's cooled properly. Please, do tell me how this software is "burning up" GPUs if there's some magical thing software can do to hardware other than run on it. I again invite you to download Furmark and tell me what temperature that program achieves on your hardware setup. Furmark isn't malicious anymore than STO is; it's just designed to be very intensive, just like Prime95 is. When someone runs Prime95 on a computer and it fails due to temperature, they don't say "oh, well nothing will stress this computer that much in real world apps, therefore it's fine" (unless they're unwise or have money to blow on hardware replacements). This should be no different.
Im sorry its just upsetting to see a 400 dollar card do that in a case that is built to cool it. The first time it happend I almost paniced because the video card didnt reboot for 5 mintues while it was cooling and i thought i lost it forever!! nooooooo.... so now im mad at some anon coder for making my system feel pain.

Im sorry

I will d/l it and test it as soon as im home and back on my machine. I dont unerstand how you can say its my gpu not being cooled when even when i render or play crysis at max for hours it doesnt ever reach 85.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Really? Go here and fetch a copy of Furmark, and tell me how your system runs that after five or ten minutes. If STO is out-stressing Furmark, then there's a problem, but again, no piece of software can do anything other than run a chip at full load, and chips are designed to TAKE full load. You act like STO is secretly overclocking our cards while we aren't looking.

I'm not denying that there isn't a problem in the client's coding, but that, in and of itself, cannot damage hardware just by running, because, again, all software can do is take up clock cycles, and hardware is designed to run at full load if it's cooled properly.
Guys I just want to make sure i'm not going to burn my card. it's obviously high even when STO isn't running. I'm not blaming the game necessarily. Furmark is 32bit only right? i don't see one for windows 7 sorry or i'd try

Let me ask you this...if the card gets in real danger will it shut itself down like your saying some of these other cards will?
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
it will still install m8 , ive got it on my system and ive got Windows 7 64 bit.

It might say Vista 64 bit , but that doesnt matter.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnvy View Post
Im sorry its just upsetting to see a 400 dollar card do that in a case that is built to cool it. The first time it happend I almost paniced because the video card didnt reboot for 5 mintues while it was cooling and i thought i lost it forever!! nooooooo.... so now im mad at some anon coder for making my system feel pain.

Im sorry

I will d/l it and test it as soon as im home and back on my machine. I dont unerstand how you can say its my gpu not being cooled when even when i render or play crysis at max for hours it doesnt ever reach 85.
Look, it's alright, I think people just need to calm down, but which I mean EVERYONE. We all want to play STO (without melting our machines, preferably), and it's frusterating, but it seems like it's starting to boil over here

STO has a very peculiar bug here. Unlike most games, which just stress GPUs a lot, STO seems to have a bug where it literally is causing GPUs to hit 100% load. Now that is very, very odd for a program to do (Furmark is designed to do it by rendering a lot of fur, and yet STO just has a lot of basic shapes).

Clearly, it's maxing out video cards WAYYYYYYYYY more than it should be, but hardware is still supposed to be able to take that kind of stress, generally. That said, Cryptic does need to fix this, because we don't need to have a game start acting like a burn-in program. Understand, that a program like Furmark is designed to stress a system WAY more than any game or benchmark. STO clearly has a coding bug where somehow it's become extraordinary good at this as well, so systems that would normally be okay, even running something like Crysis or 3dmark Vantage are now being overloaded. Tomorrow I'm buying my pre-order (I already have the client), so I'll see how it acts on my 5770s.

Comparing Furmark to STO will also help prove the problem with the game, so it's not just for your sake. Running it would help give vital context to this problem if it can be shown that STO is matching a notoriously killer GPU burn-in app.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Summed up in above.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawulf View Post
Guys I just want to make sure i'm not going to burn my card. it's obviously high even when STO isn't running. I'm not blaming the game necessarily. Furmark is 32bit only right? i don't see one for windows 7 sorry or i'd try

Let me ask you this...if the card gets in real danger will it shut itself down like your saying some of these other cards will?
Well, Furmark will run on anything, because a 32-bit app will run on 64-bit OSes (and yes, it's 7 compatible; I've run it).

As for your question, cards are supposed to shut down, but the shutoff temperature is usually set uselessly high for some reason. Ati cards have a shutoff temp of 125C even though most of those cards can't run safely above about 95 or 100. So don't just assume it's alright, be wary here.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Look, it's alright, I think people just need to calm down, but which I mean EVERYONE. We all want to play STO (without melting our machines, preferably), and it's frusterating, but it seems like it's starting to boil over here

STO has a very peculiar bug here. Unlike most games, which just stress GPUs a lot, STO seems to have a bug where it literally is causing GPUs to hit 100% load. Now that is very, very odd for a program to do (Furmark is designed to do it by rendering a lot of fur, and yet STO just has a lot of basic shapes).

Clearly, it's maxing out video cards WAYYYYYYYYY more than it should be, but hardware is still supposed to be able to take that kind of stress, generally. That said, Cryptic does need to fix this, because we don't need to have a game start acting like a burn-in program. Understand, that a program like Furmark is designed to stress a system WAY more than any game or benchmark. STO clearly has a coding bug where somehow it's become extraordinary good at this as well, so systems that would normally be okay, even running something like Crysis or 3dmark Vantage are now being overloaded. Tomorrow I'm buying my pre-order (I already have the client), so I'll see how it acts on my 5770s.

Comparing Furmark to STO will also help prove the problem with the game, so it's not just for your sake. Running it would help give vital context to this problem if it can be shown that STO is matching a notoriously killer GPU burn-in app.
I should have more information up on how the test goes at 0600 Z
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnvy View Post
I should have more information up on how the test goes at 0600 Z
Sounds good. I just ran it, and my 5770s hit 90C even after about ten minutes. Tomorrow evening I'll see how STO compares.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urko View Post
it will still install m8 , ive got it on my system and ive got Windows 7 64 bit.

It might say Vista 64 bit , but that doesnt matter.
ok...i will give it a try. i'll get it on and see what happens
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-14-2010, 06:56 PM
I ran it less than five minutes and it hit 117C that's when I killed it. Definitely the system not the game it looks like. I want to play STO but I don't want to blow up my graphics card. I'll call nvidia tomorrow