Captain
# 11
04-19-2013, 08:19 AM
DS has answered this question months ago, he says it IS working as intended.

His view is that cloak is SUPPOSED to drop when the players captain has any interaction. I personally think it's a load of BS, but it's his game so I just have to accept it, or play something else.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-19-2013, 08:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/vRdPSqV.jpg

Those are the new non-decloaking message windows.
Career Officer
# 13
04-19-2013, 08:53 AM
This is a bug, or very poor design. Cryptic needs to own up to one of them. To claim otherwise is an insult to intellect.

To be fair, I do not believe the game launched like this. Iirc, it was added in with some change to the dialog system in the first year.

This bug is a major reason I never got involved in the KDF. I am primarily a Romulan fan and have been dreading the day when the Romulan faction would be launched and saddled with this bug. I would rather have had a bug fixing season for this, BOff layout changes across ships, and other fixes before the Romulans.
Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes?  Read my posts below.
Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile
Captain
# 14
04-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Here's the post with explanation: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=84

Basically you should be uncloaking to scan things, or shoot them, or whatever. Unfortunately, this works with any pop up, even when you're not technically "interacting" with things. Which is pretty lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
I'll try to address this succinctly without saying anything that could be construed as "promises" or "certainty."

First off, the interaction of cloaking and clicking on stuff or having bridge officers communicate to you is not "broken" inasmuch as it is working the way it was designed to do.

It is possible to set up an interaction, like a bridge officer popping up to tell you something or a mission area or item that you click to examine, in such a way that it does not interfere with cloaking devices. I'll just say that it takes some serious work and it's the result of a recent update, so it's not the sort of thing to expect in general across the board.

In this case, we happened to be making some more missions Klingon-ready anyway, so in addition to some cosmetic changes (dialog, beam-out animations, etc.) I took the time to set up a couple of missions so that cloaking devices might be useful. If you read the dialog, you may notice that there are special notifications or changes to dialog when you fly a ship with a cloaking device, or if you're cloaked when certain events happen. These are relatively minor (cosmetic updates, remember).

So, this is kind of an added bonus. If you happen to have a ship with a cloak, you may find some extra utility lurking around out there on the fringes of space.
Captain
# 15
04-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
Here's the post with explanation: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=84

Basically you should be uncloaking to scan things, or shoot them, or whatever. Unfortunately, this works with any pop up, even when you're not technically "interacting" with things. Which is pretty lame.
It is a rather small nitpick since the cloak is only really needed on ONE PvE mission, and PvP only has one de-cloak interaction (in kerrat). Immersion doesn't exist is STO anymore, get over it.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Career Officer
# 16
04-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Immersion doesn't exist is STO anymore, get over it.
Man you're loud, rude and wrong.

It is not about immersion; it's about a three year old bug/poor gameplay design that the devs have refused to own up to. All we get from them is "working as intended" as if me leaning over to talk to my science officer somehow would decloak my ship.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Captain
# 17
04-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post

It is not about immersion; it's about a three year old bug/poor gameplay design that the devs have refused to own up to. All we get from them is "working as intended" as if me leaning over to talk to my science officer somehow would decloak my ship.
As Jessie's quoted post above alludes to, the tech to get around the cloak issue is fairly new. Even with the tech it's a difficult process that's going to take time to implement for the KDF across the board.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 18
04-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
As Jessie's quoted post above alludes to, the tech to get around the cloak issue is fairly new. Even with the tech it's a difficult process that's going to take time to implement for the KDF across the board.
Sorry but it's been three years. They have no excuse for not fixing this and people need to stop giving them passes for poor game design and persistant bugs. Perhaps less time making lockboxes and more time fixing actual issues...
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Captain
# 19
04-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post

You do realize they 'idiot-proofed' it for peeps like you so you could carry on with your mission quicker than having you manually decloak so you could pew-pew the bad guys, right ?

Imagine how many complaint posts would exist if people forgot to manually decloak and had a message box blocking the action because they couldn't reply until they decloaked, then they decloak in the wrong place to clear the message and get smoked because the enemy was under the box.

"Ohhhh, my weapons don't fire, it's a bug"
"did you decloak ?"
"oops, I forgot, nevermind."
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Career Officer
# 20
04-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The reality is that they broke this early on in year one. They came back to "fix" it, but did a poor job (what we have now). Since they could not get it 100% fixed, they simply moved the design goal posts to turn a bug into an intentional feature.

As I said before, it's either a bug or a poor design choice. To call it anything else is wrong or dishonest.
Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes?  Read my posts below.
Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile