Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
# 141
04-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Wait, wait I lied. I have a secret Tholian fetish, you know one of those things you never admit too. But since that will never happen, then yeah I have to go with Dominion/Trueway which ever it is.
"If you didn't want to get yelled at by a bunch of crazy nerds you shouldn't have posted on the forums"
"Today is the oldest you have ever been and the youngest you will ever be"
Better dead then Fed!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,436
# 142
04-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
Wait, wait I lied. I have a secret Tholian fetish, you know one of those things you never admit too. But since that will never happen, then yeah I have to go with Dominion/Trueway which ever it is.
Seeing this comment without any context whatsoever is an experience unto itself.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 206
# 143
04-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Seeing this comment without any context whatsoever is an experience unto itself.
You're telling me!

My bleach bottle has gone empty and my mind is still in the gutter.

It just ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bernard Shaw
There are no secrets except the secrets that keep themselves.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
# 144
04-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroska View Post
You're telling me!

My bleach bottle has gone empty and my mind is still in the gutter.

It just ain't right.
ha!!! I had to hide my kids eyes !!!
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
# 145
04-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Huh.....yeah I guess I should have added some context....oh well.
"If you didn't want to get yelled at by a bunch of crazy nerds you shouldn't have posted on the forums"
"Today is the oldest you have ever been and the youngest you will ever be"
Better dead then Fed!
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 713
# 146 Breen!
04-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Breen confederacy. i really like Breen and wanna play with energy dampening weapons
Join Star Trek Battles, to make your daily grind FUN!
Eating Bacon and playing KDF since September 2012! Proud supporter of the Breen Confederacy!
NO TO MANDATORY ARC!
This is my new favourite video!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,209
# 147
04-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Some interesting thoughts in this thread -- however most of them address the story ... and while that IS important , I want to say a few things about fun game mechanics .

With what we currently have (assuming the Iconians don't invade for a year or two -- if ever) , which current foe possesses a game mechanic that you'd like missions (or perhaps an STF) to be built around ?

For me , as I look around , I think Dominion .
Foot soldiers that clock , fight hand to hand and with energy weapons + have "boss" characters (Changelings) that have a new and interesting game mechanic .

I'm thinking about a player (or a group of players) fighting a few Changelings at once .
I'm thinking about having a "final boss" that is a fusion of several Changelings (multiple limbs, vast size , can extend tentickles to your max weapons range and beyond) .
http://s28.postimg.org/663z5paa5/New_Sig_2_14.png
For more info click : Here and here .

Last edited by aelfwin1; 04-26-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,015
# 148
04-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
Some interesting thoughts in this thread -- however most of them address the story ... and while that IS important , I want to say a few things about fun game mechanics .

With what we currently have (assuming the Iconians don't invade for a year or two -- if ever) , which current foe possesses a game mechanic that you'd like missions (or perhaps an STF) to be built around ?

For me , as I look around , I think Dominion .
Foot soldiers that clock , fight hand to hand and with energy weapons + have "boss" characters (Changelings) that have a new and interesting game mechanic .

I'm thinking about a player (or a group of players) fighting a few Changelings at once .
I'm thinking about having a "final boss" that is a fusion of several Changelings (multiple limbs, vast size , can extend tentickles to your max weapons range and beyond) .
I can see that. Especially changelings as they might have a primary costume slot that's fixed but wildly unlimited spare costume slots too.

But I still think, story-wise and mechanically, a "Neutral" faction with some of everything in it works best, structurally. And can have unique mechanics like salvage, special disruptors, special shielding, etc.

Because the idea behind a Neutral faction could be, arguably, not doing more factions.

You just do a bunch of new tutorials explaining how somebody wound up neutral.

I don't know I want them spending the kind of effort they spent on the Romulans on faction after faction. I want endgame and gameplay to get a bigger focus. "Neutral" faction, in my mind, means you have a bunch of variant tutorials (Cardassian, Ferengi, Dominion, etc.) explaining how a ship wound up neutral. It's a catch all. I'd rather have a catch all "and the rest" faction than see Cryptic devoting all its resources into factions, forever.

Then again, I'm kinda over the ship emphasis and it's clear there are some people who would buy ships forever.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,004
# 149
04-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Dan did say after LoR story was going to get a bigger focus that's why I think thread like these are jumping the gun not to say he also said if LoR not a hit you more then likely not see another faction
the age of launcher... is over...!! the time of the ARC has come!!!!!!!!!
One ARC to rule them all, One ARC to find them,
One ARC to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
actual joining date = no one cares!!!!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,015
# 150
04-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
Dan did say after LoR story was going to get a bigger focus that's why I think thread like these are jumping the gun not to say he also said if LoR not a hit you more then likely not see another faction
Yeah. My thinking overall is that any specific factions (aside from maybe Borg; which would be unworkable) would be NO LARGER THAN the size of the Romulan playerbase. You can do Dominion or Cardassians. Both have appeal. But they likely wouldn't be sustainably bigger than the Romulans.

The argument I can see for Dominion is the argument that mechanics would be cool. But I'm not sure that drives numbers.

The argument I can see for Cardassians is that in helps subsidize a DS9 overhaul by adding Nors to the game and the faction could be conceivably much smaller than Romulans.

We're probably looking at an investment of a few mil.

I think a non-aligned faction works if it becomes a dumping ground for Cardassians, Ferengi, Dominion, human privateers, Talaxians, Rogue Borg, etc. in one place. And is the easiest to continually expand and update. This will upset vocal people but I'm still leaning towards the idea that one faction for EVERYONE who isn't Fed, Klingon, or Romulan would be the best for the game. It might not have the numbers that individual factions put together would but it would have better numbers than any single, individual faction and it moves us beyond any kind of focus on adding factions to focus on content and other game mechanics. I think it's cost effective.

You start off in the Cardassian Union/Dominion/Ferengi/Tholian/etc. faction. (And I'd even have Starfleet and KDF tutorials centering around discommendation/court martial and discharge and a Civilian tutorial or two.) And you have a tutorial centered around personally getting drummed out and winding up in a bar on a neutral world. Missions would focus on you doing a mix of freelance assignments for private individuals and all factions, with special text indicating that, "Hey! You used to work for us!" when going on a mission on behalf of your former government.

Lots of unique level 1-5s rolled out in bunches. 5-10 is a shared non-aligned story. You choose a side in the Fed-Klingon war. Then 10-30 is going on missions for the Cardassians, the Dominion, the Ferengi, etc. building up to a 30-35 arc where you work for the Tal Shiar and discover they're crooked, leading you into the Romulan FE series.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM.