Career Officer
# 151
04-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptiecop View Post
ST-TNG Descent Part 1 and 2...you might be surprised at what you see...

If they did it at all, it would have to be the Hugh splinter faction.
Who aren't really Borg. They're closer to our Liberated Borg than the Borg Collective itself - which I assume is what this OP was talking about when they mentioned a Borg faction.

As people have said, we need to see how LoR pans out yet. If it goes well though, a betting man should have his money on the Cardassians, as Cardassians will make more people happy, and have more scope for expansion, and ergo probably stand the best chance of making the most money for Cryptic.
Iconian? A label created by the Dewans to give voice to their destruction.
In the end, what they chose to call us is irrelevant.
We simply... are.

Rihannsu
# 152
04-26-2013, 11:27 AM
I could see them making a Hugh faction. Cryptic has said they aren't doing any true(evil) monster races. But a Hugh faction would be interesting.

Dominion would be LOADS of fun! Especially if the storyline revolves around an incident where the Iconians and/or Undine pissed off the Founders. And there are a wide variety of races we could play as. As for the dominion lock box ships? Enh... make free versions that are not as good. Easy.

I could see a Neutral/Mercenary faction where there is only one race(Alien).

Cardassians.... enh... don't care about spoonheads.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Republic Veteran
# 153
04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Playable species not sure. But if your talking similar to legacy of Romulus expansion I would like to think the cardassians would get the love. Personally not my flavour but I think they are very much needed in the game.
Career Officer
# 154
04-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Please no Borg.

I'm usually a guy who says "If you don't like it, don't play it." but playable Borg would annoy me terribly for some reason. The Borg should never be playable in any game ever. They are ALWAYS to be the bad guy to everyone. They are the black plague of the Star Trek universe.

"In their collective state, the Borg are utterly without mercy, driven by one will alone: the will to conquer. They are beyond redemption, beyond reason."

But Cardassians (or more completely, the Dominion species as a whole) would be fantastic to add.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist
Captain
# 155
04-26-2013, 12:15 PM
If the Borg got their own game then I could see it. Or something like the Armada series. But an MMO? With choice? And sandbox elements? And customization?

No. I don't see it working at all in this game.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 156
04-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
We're probably looking at an investment of a few mil.
Where exactly are you estimating this from? I honestly have no idea what sort of money goes into a game. I know there's an art department, QA, coding, marketing (and ad campaigns which probably add a bunch) etc., but how much money are all of those, really? I seem to recall reading somewhere on these forums that Cryptic has 60 employees. If all of them get about $50k a year, that's 3 million a year, but that's just a normal operating cost, and doesn't need to be factored in to "investing" towards a new faction.
Republic Veteran
# 157
04-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azniadeet View Post
Please no Borg.

I'm usually a guy who says "If you don't like it, don't play it." but playable Borg would annoy me terribly for some reason. The Borg should never be playable in any game ever. They are ALWAYS to be the bad guy to everyone. They are the black plague of the Star Trek universe.

"In their collective state, the Borg are utterly without mercy, driven by one will alone: the will to conquer. They are beyond redemption, beyond reason."

But Cardassians (or more completely, the Dominion species as a whole) would be fantastic to add.
yeah no borg thanks. it's an awful idea for a playable faction. the borg represent a threat to everyone. so much so that despite indifferences between people they forge temporary alliances to stop them otherwise the consequences is meant to be possible total annihilation. if you make them a full playable faction you possibly ruin end game content for all and turn them in to care bear borg. balancing them against the other factions would mean they have to be equal and therefore make them weaker than they are meant to be. they wont be the borg the idiots want to play because they wont be op enough to assimilate every one.

the real story and possible playable game expanding experiences is the cardassians. it's the next logical choice. I do wonder what shape a dominion faction could take. since there is currently. true way + alpha jem'hadar. let alone the dominion from the gamma quadrant. I see much cardassian story is needed to either clear this up or pave a way to open up the gamma quadrant.

devs more recently mention the delta quadrant more. dose this mean we will see hirogen and a few others? I was trying to think the other day of a playable species for each faction that might make some sort of sense. hirogen for roms, talaxian for feds and something for kdf but that's where I got stumped and thought hmm maybe a bad idea lol

Last edited by wazzagiow; 04-26-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 158
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzagiow View Post
yeah no borg thanks. it's an awful idea for a playable faction. the borg represent a threat to everyone. so much so that despite indifferences between people they forge temporary alliances to stop them otherwise the consequences is meant to be possible total annihilation. if you make them a full playable species you possibly end game content for all and turn them in to care bear borg. balancing them against the other factions would mean they have to be equal and therefore make them weaker than they are meant to be. they wont be the borg the idiots want to play because they wont be op enough to assimilate every one.

the real story and possible playable game expanding experiences is the cardassians. it's the next logical choice. I do wonder what shape a dominion faction could take. since there is currently. true way + alpha jem'hadar. let alone the dominion from the gamma quadrant. I see much cardassian story is needed to either clear this up or pave a way to open up the gamma quadrant.

devs more recently mention the delta quadrant more. dose this mean we will see hirogen and a few others? I was trying to think the other day of a playable species for each faction that might make some sort of sense. hirogen for roms, talaxian for feds and something for kdf but that's where I got stumped and thought hmm maybe a bad idea lol
Cardassians I see possible in a way that Starfleet is streched out thin with all the conflicts that they're involved with and change the treaty with the Cardassians allowing them to rebuild their military, because Starfleet can no longer protect their space and needs the ships for aiding the Romulan Republic in the battle against RSE and Tal'Shiar.
This would give the Cardassians more liberty in making decisions for themselves and developing more friendly relations with the KDF, since they are no longer that attached to the Federation. (which in game means can be allied with KDF too, since that is the model that Cryptic is going after)
The True Way sees this as an opportnity to strike against the Detapa Council and voila - you have the direction of the story content and you have the villain. There could be a rep. system attached to it, allowing playable Alpha Jem'Hadar at unlocking Tier 5 (sth. like the Remans), storywise explained as the Cardassian Government defeating the True Way and hiring the Alpha Jem'Hadar to streghten their defenses against the Dominion/Breen/whoever.

Although I like the Cardassians much more than the Dominion, a Dominion faction would be cool as well, as long as Cryptic finds a way to handle the lockbox ships. Unlike the only Galor that was released, the Dominion has 3 of their ships in a lockbox. Although, I'm kinda' confused as to how a Dominion faction would be implemented if adding new factions should be based on the allying with Fed./KDF system. The Dominon are masters of the Gama Quadrant and I see no reason for them to forge these aliances. Hell, so long after the war I wouldn't be suprised if they're completely prepared for another invasion of the Alpha Quandrant, especially now when the Romulans are crushed and scattered and can't be such a strong asset, and the KDF and Fed. being at war. That's the thing that buggs me about the Dominion.

However I agree - not Borg. No way. That's just too many flavours of wrong.
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Career Officer
# 159
04-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptiecop View Post
ST-TNG Descent Part 1 and 2...you might be surprised at what you see...

If they did it at all, it would have to be the Hugh splinter faction.
I see...no actual Borg, only individuals who could not survive without an android who passed by and kept them from starving to death.
And that's the core of the problem.
People want Borg, but the more we move away from Borg to make it workable without messing up the concept of the Borg entirely the less that demand is satisfied...not not at all.
Career Officer
# 160
04-26-2013, 02:35 PM
I could imagine a few scenarios that lead to a new Dominion (civil?) war, especially given the way that the 2800 ended, and the new link. It would be a great opportunity to bring in Rene Auberjonois for the return of Odo, and to launch a new dominion faction.

Imagine that upon the end of Boldly They Rode, the female changeling returns to the link, and brings back an isolated 'dominion war' mentality, which sharply divides the founders. After being forced to cope with their first military defeat in the past millennium, and then having a member of their species returned from 40 years of solitary confinement, the link finds itself divided. Several of the founders, including Odo, cast themselves out of the 'great link' to unite with the 'new link' in the Alpha quadrant; and begin to build a new, better dominion in the Alpha quadrant.

I think that could be the foundation of a great dominion story.
Vice Admiral Aznia Deet, Federation Ambassador, U.S.S. Federalist