Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,620
# 11
04-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
In particular, I can see the Cardassians as a more micro micro faction. Say, 3-5 ships. 10 levels of content building up to joining the KDF or Starfleet and some standalone alternate missions scattered in.
I could see doing the Cardassians, where their primary enemy would be the True Way Alliance - much the same way the Republic Roms are fighting the Tal Roms. Then you could have the little micro-alliances to help fight the TWA. That would probably be more in line with Cryptic not wanting players to play evil in the game.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,416
# 12
04-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I could see doing the Cardassians, where their primary enemy would be the True Way Alliance - much the same way the Republic Roms are fighting the Tal Roms. Then you could have the little micro-alliances to help fight the TWA. That would probably be more in line with Cryptic not wanting players to play evil in the game.
+1, no problem with that at all. if the cardies come thats exactly what i would expect as well.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,132
# 13
04-19-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm all for a Dominion or Cardassian faction, they seem the next logical candidates.

But please for the love of Q, no more "Rise of..." titles. So freakin tired of that.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,620
# 14
04-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
+1, no problem with that at all. if the cardies come thats exactly what i would expect as well.
The drawback there is that all the stories start sounding familiar rather then being unique to their own Faction. There's only so many "civil war" type stories we should be involved in.

It might be more interesting to add a Class Faction, like Pirate/Smuggler/Trader, rather then Race Faction. They're not beholden to any Faction, they simply strive for their own goals and ally and break-up whenever they wish. You can use any Race in the Faction and they could have a hodge-podge of ships from various Factions - possibly with unique parts that blend various Faction ships - as well as some of their own unique ships. They'd have their own stories, and sometimes used other Faction's stories.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 230
# 15
04-19-2013, 08:18 AM
i wouldn't touch the Borg yet if I were the devs, plus Cardassians are cool and I would like to see them playable, with some new interesting ship designs.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,654
# 16
04-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Cardassian Renaissance has a nice ring to it.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,287
# 17
04-19-2013, 08:34 AM
I see the Xindi just being additional race unlocks for Feds and maybe KDF. Dominion are pretty much have isolated themselves to the Gamma Quadrant. The Undine are too xenophobic to be friendly with people from the STO universe. The Borg could work with a faction that split off already and Task Force Omega need some help to counter the Borg Collective threat, but The logical choice would be Cardassians.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 744
# 18
04-19-2013, 09:15 AM
The Cardassians and Alpha Jem'Hadar could certainly be a faction, the way they did the Romulans. There's enough of a story hook for them to ally with Fed or KDF, and play around with the aftermath of the Dominion War and the facitons that spring up.

The Dominion are another story. I really can't see them becoming involved or "allied" with either side in the Fed-KDF war. Taking advantage of it, sure, but not fully involved. If / when the Dominion happens, it'll have to be as a full faction, no alliances. And then Romulans will scream bloody murder because they weren't the same thing.

I don't see much point in having a Borg faction. We can already play as liberated Borg, and that's all the faction would be, except with a few unique Borg-type ships and unique missions before allying with an existing faction (hopefully they'd be able to join the Romulan faction, not just Fed or KDF).

You can already play as 8472 - because they're shapeshifters infiltrating the quadrant. Too bad about your buddies in that one mission, but you can't blow your cover, right? So you blow them up instead.
Join Date: July 29 2008
Career Officer
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,416
# 19
04-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The drawback there is that all the stories start sounding familiar rather then being unique to their own Faction. There's only so many "civil war" type stories we should be involved in.

It might be more interesting to add a Class Faction, like Pirate/Smuggler/Trader, rather then Race Faction. They're not beholden to any Faction, they simply strive for their own goals and ally and break-up whenever they wish. You can use any Race in the Faction and they could have a hodge-podge of ships from various Factions - possibly with unique parts that blend various Faction ships - as well as some of their own unique ships. They'd have their own stories, and sometimes used other Faction's stories.
there was talk of that a while ago, died down. have not heard of anything since with the class factions mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
The Cardassians and Alpha Jem'Hadar could certainly be a faction, the way they did the Romulans. There's enough of a story hook for them to ally with Fed or KDF, and play around with the aftermath of the Dominion War and the facitons that spring up.

The Dominion are another story. I really can't see them becoming involved or "allied" with either side in the Fed-KDF war. Taking advantage of it, sure, but not fully involved. If / when the Dominion happens, it'll have to be as a full faction, no alliances. And then Romulans will scream bloody murder because they weren't the same thing.

I don't see much point in having a Borg faction. We can already play as liberated Borg, and that's all the faction would be, except with a few unique Borg-type ships and unique missions before allying with an existing faction (hopefully they'd be able to join the Romulan faction, not just Fed or KDF).

You can already play as 8472 - because they're shapeshifters infiltrating the quadrant. Too bad about your buddies in that one mission, but you can't blow your cover, right? So you blow them up instead.
cardassians and alpha jem'hadar? you mean true way? why would they want to join the feds,kdf and rommies as allies for? cardassian relations between the kdf has been nothing short of all out war, romulans dont care about cardassian interests and vice versa and the true way considers the federation one of their most hated enemies for destroying the old cardassia and giving it to the peace movement.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?

Last edited by mirrorchaos; 04-19-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: additional reply.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,426
# 20
04-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmanx View Post
Only other faction I'd be interested in seeing is the Cardassians; not those True Way thugs, the actual Cardassian faction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I could see doing the Cardassians, where their primary enemy would be the True Way Alliance - much the same way the Republic Roms are fighting the Tal Roms. Then you could have the little micro-alliances to help fight the TWA. That would probably be more in line with Cryptic not wanting players to play evil in the game.
I wanted a Cardassian faction since forever and this is exactly the way I see it!
If the devs. see the current Romulan Republic model as the way of implementing future factions (as they said), the Cardassian faction has the most potential to become the next playable faction after Romulans. There is more than enough material to them and their current situation in STO puts them in somewhat similar place as the Romulans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
In particular, I can see the Cardassians as a more micro micro faction. Say, 3-5 ships. 10 levels of content building up to joining the KDF or Starfleet and some standalone alternate missions scattered in.
I'd be happy with that. I always really really wanted to play a Cardassian in STO, but it seemed so far-fetched. After recent developments it seems just a bit closer.
Some 5 ships at start. 10 levels pre-alliance content + some scattered standalone Cardie missions seem fine to me for start as long as we get our orders from Garak and get an update at least once in a while.
If they'd make a Cardie bundle like the Romulan one we have now, this is one player that would get it in a heartbeat. A Galor is a Galor, but somehow the 'alien' Cardassian just doesn't cut it for me, feels awkward.
Because true Starfleet Captains command Exploration Cruisers!
Thank you Cryptic for finally giving me MY SHIP!!!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22 PM.