Captain
# 61
04-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3001 View Post
But liberated Borg aren't Borg in the sense that they're not part of the Collective. And if a Borg was liberated, wouldn't they be whatever they were prior to assimilation?
No, they would be like Hugh and his group: confused part-machine things.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 62
04-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
No, they would be like Hugh and his group: confused part-machine things.
Picard, Janeway, Tuvok, Tores, and whoever else got assimilated on Voyager disagree.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 63
04-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Picard, Janeway, Tuvok, Tores, and whoever else got assimilated on Voyager disagree.
And all the "liberated" Borg in Descent I & II disagree with them.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 64
04-20-2013, 11:07 AM
rather see a 'Fall of the Federation' this time next year.
Captain
# 65
04-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote:
And all the "liberated" Borg in Descent I & II disagree with them.
I guess that depends on whether you believe Borg can only be assimilated (like what was hinted in First Contact) or Borg can actually be born into the Collective (like what was shown in TNG).
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 66
04-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstamo01 View Post
rather see a 'Fall of the Federation' this time next year.
Good god no.

Empire Veteran
# 67
04-20-2013, 11:34 AM
If anything the Klingon empire would fall not the federation simply because star trek has always been about the federation so if this pseudo war ends it will either be peace, Klingons surrender, or are destroyed.
The Emperor

Do not presume to have the capability to understand me for you see, I simply am.
Captain
# 68
04-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I guess that depends on whether you believe Borg can only be assimilated (like what was hinted in First Contact) or Borg can actually be born into the Collective (like what was shown in TNG).
I assume it's both. The assimilated probably find it easier to break free - depending on how long they've been assimilated. Those born into the Collective have never known what it's like to not have a billion borg thoughts running through their head at one time. They have no home but the borg, so liberation would leave them like the Hugh: searching for an identity rather then running to a homeworld.
Captain
# 69
04-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
I assume it's both. The assimilated probably find it easier to break free - depending on how long they've been assimilated. Those born into the Collective have never known what it's like to not have a billion borg thoughts running through their head at one time. They have no home but the borg, so liberation would leave them like the Hugh: searching for an identity rather then running to a homeworld.
Precisely.

I don't think it would work as a faction though.

Lt. Commander
# 70
04-20-2013, 01:56 PM
I think the Borg would only work as a faction if its gameplay were fundamentally different somehow from all the others. Really emphasize the "collective consciousness" thing as a faction mechanic in of itself, y'know? And that would be one hell of a design challenge.

Perhaps it could work if all Borg players were immediately rolled into a single, expanded, faction-wide version of the fleet system. Let's say that Borg players could all contribute to projects of some kind set by the GMs, and all XP/Expertise earned by players would also go towards the Collective as well as the individual player, building towards a huge long-tail goal of some kind.

Sort of like how all player progression in Noby Noby Boy goes towards reaching the different planets in the solar system, and is designed to take months or even years to complete. Balance as necessary.

...the only alternative is yet another "new" version of an existing faction, a la New Romulus and whatever that "New Dominion" is supposed to be, which to me is far less interesting with the Borg than it is with the Romulan Republic.

Of course, Voyager killed my interest in the Borg, so... there we go. Also, the thought of hundreds or thousands of players all floating around in Cubes feels silly.
---
Relax.