Career Officer
# 11
04-19-2013, 08:31 PM
According to my research, "Disruptor" describes the effects of the weapon, not the energy form it uses. Mainly, it disrupts the atomic structure of the matter it impacts.

In several episodes of TNG, they would refer to a klingon disruptor as a phaser. My understanding is that a proper "disruptor" weapon simply has no stun setting. Apparently, the KDF weapons are just phasers that operate on a different frequency and a higher, less controlled, power level.

So, according to treknology, there is no "disruptor" energy type. There is Nadeon (Starfleet Phasers, KDF Disruptors), Plasma, Tetryon, Polaron, etc.
U.S.S. Marathon - NX-392781
Rihannsu
# 12
04-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Disruptors came from an early TOS episode where they were sonic disruptors and then later when klingons came they they were given the same prop and some how got called disruptors and it stuck.
heck even Starfleet type 2 phasers also had a disruptor effect setting.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sonic_disruptor
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Disruptor
Commander
# 13
04-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
At the moment the plan is that the Tal Shiar and former Romulan Star Navy will continue to use disruptors, while the Romulan Republic uses plasma weapons.
Just out of curiosity, are these the "Romulan Plasma" weapons from the Romulan episodes, and if not, why not? (at least in space)? This would seem to make the most sense.
Ensign
# 14
04-19-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm glad to hear that the projectiles currently are temporary assets. the muzzle flare from all the current weapons are larger than my characters head and its difficult to the differentiate projectiles on the repeaters (it all looks a bit fuzzy). I'm also curious about the sound effects played when we fire these weapons. id prefer for these guns to sound a bit more aggressive than their current state. when i click my mouse button it doesn't sound very satisfying. what do you guys think?
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-19-2013, 10:43 PM
For those having canon issues... this is in the future. The Romulans have been researching Borg technology. So they have moved to more plasma based technology.

Maybe the devs could just add some blurb in the game about how we use plasma because of our singularity based tech. All the old school aliens are still using matter/antimatter to power their dated disruptors and phasers.
PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY
Career Officer
# 16
04-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
At the moment the plan is that the Tal Shiar and former Romulan Star Navy will continue to use disruptors, while the Romulan Republic uses plasma weapons.
Guess you're having the Republic using plasma so you don't have overlap with the Klingons.

But since the Tal Shiar is using Borg Technology and you have Borg using Plasma weapons, it would've been logical to have the Imperials using Plasma and the Republic using Disruptors since they are working with the Klingons.

So its ironic things worked out like they did.

BTW, you guys need to focus more on Plasma rewards for Romulan players. Wouldn't believe how hard it was to find plasma weaponry as I leveled up. Had to use the free Rare Phasers from mission rewards.
Captain
# 17
04-20-2013, 12:03 AM
I am actually using Disruptor weaponry specifically because that's what I could find.
I did grab the BoP with the quad cannons, though. Need to give us a c-store ship with quad plasma cannons or add one to romulan rep or fleet store.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
04-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
Thanks for the feedback! These are still in a pretty early state, and many of them will probably see balance changes before they're shipped. The visual effects for these weapons are placeholder.

If the Charged Blast is knocking shields offline for a minute (which is what it sounds like you were describing), that sounds like a pretty serious bug. I'll look at that immediately.

These currently represent the technology developed by the Romulan Republic, who specifically use Plasma weaponry. We're open to the possibility of other damage types at some point in the future, but probably not for launch.
Why not expand the Republic weapons to include the Plasma-Disruptor hybrid weapons you have in-game?
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
04-20-2013, 07:22 PM
one of the bugs with [Plasma Charged Burst Assault Mk V] (highest i can use atm) is that the boffs always hold down the 2nd fire, causing them to be useless.

as for the autofire 2nd fire mode for the repeater pistol....wont work correctly as it stops after a second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Rihannsu
# 20
04-20-2013, 07:59 PM
I notioced that the repeater requires you to HOLD the secondary fire button. It works properly as long as I hold it down.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.