Career Officer
-Right off the bat the art assets, new ui and tutorail are slick, game concepts are introduced pretty simply, however..

There is no mention really of shooter mode, how to toggle it and what the pros and cons of the modes are...seems a lost opportunity to demonstrate the diversity players can enjoy, I often swap between both modes and it's one of my favorite aspects of the game. Also..is auto attack disabled? not sure if there is something i have to do in settings.

- The new critters and colony are looking good, nice to see some new animations in there.

- Some of the dialogue is..questionable..I realize these aren't the Tal Shiar, but this feels more like a human colony, too many contractions, and slang type terms. I feel like there should be a bit more formality in some of the dialogue, and gravity considering the story trying to be told

My fear is this branch of the Romulans is looking like feds in green ships, not a race of people facing extinction and horrible loss.

- the attack and intro is stunted by the on demand patching system, and the lag, between these two the flow breaks and it's frustrating because there is a lot going on that I want to absorb and enjoy.

- I like the fact the npc's are taking cover behind walls instead of standing there rocking idle animations..these little details are so important and finally starting to appear in STO.

- the drones snatching people up are great, good sense of bieng in the middle of a warzone.

- great way to introduce a bridge officer, but at some point cryptic needs to realize the strength of this mechanic, keep the named guy, add some back story and interaction later on like swotor's companions...reward boffs like the breen and reman open up opportunities for story, we can have our own customized people we build story for, but there is nothing wrong with having some set personalities and story lines attached to certain crew.

- ship tutorial is great, the flotilla looks great, feels much more Romulan.

I think the attention to detail and polish is going to resonate with incoming players, graphically the game looks fantastic with the new ui, much more cohesive and sci fi. I think with a second pass at the writing on the colony, adding some more gravitas and less contractions it will be a bit more solid.

My concern is also the other factions, this tutorial's simplicity and efficiency needs to be applied to the other starting experiences.

This is going to be a very solid expansion, bringing the game up to the standard it should have been at launch but that wasn't possible. Rarley is a game afforded a second chance, through hard work on the devs part STO is going to get one, only one thing can ruin it a second time.

LAG

before this goes live it is imperative that the servers are ready, there isn't hitching and rubberbanding, constant disconnects and login issues.

Already in the beta my screen freezes every 6 or 7 seconds when sprinting as lag strikes, please do not launch in this state, it will ruin months of hard work and disservice to all the effort you have put in to get this up and running.
http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
Captain
# 2
04-19-2013, 05:30 PM
I did not lag, but then again I did not use on-demand patching. I patched it all up.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
04-19-2013, 06:04 PM
I will take it that you haven't gotten far into the game. Suffice to say the bridge officer do have a background that you going to love.
"You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
Captain
# 4
04-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikain View Post
I will take it that you haven't gotten far into the game. Suffice to say the bridge officer do have a background that you going to love.
I like how the bridge officers interact. The story has much of a ..story feel to it then the KDF/Fed ones.
Career Officer
# 5
04-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes I didn't have much time if there is some story to the bridge officer that's great..players can always recruit a blank slate later but I think the unique reward boffs and tutorial boffs should be characters like in most RPGs.
http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krovan View Post
My fear is this branch of the Romulans is looking like feds in green ships, not a race of people facing extinction and horrible loss.
I had a lot of trouble keeping interest after the dialogue bit where one of your fellow colonists talks about manipulative politicking as being 'old-fashioned'.

Why bother making Romulans if they just repudiate everything they represented, both the stoic warriors of TOS and the cunning manipulators of later works?

I was also less impressed than some, apparently, by the Collectors-with-serial-numbers-filed-off and thematic bits pasted on from the Borg, the Iconians, and of all things Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire.

I'm betting they end up being basically a straight rip of the Replicators from SG-1, too.
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.