Career Officer
# 11
04-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Am I the only ambidex here? I usually fly Freelancer style (with mouse) but depending on the situation/position in combat I switch flight/board controls all the time. I don't get much RSI that way either

Bottom line is: change controls the way it fits YOUR gameplay best. It might take a while to configure and fine-tune but it'll be worth the initial hassle. Some people might have valuable or interesting suggestions, just keep an eye out.

Just think JKD: Adopt what is useful, discard what is useless, and add your own.

Good flight!
Captain
# 12
04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
I use the keyboard in space, but alternate between keyboard and mouse on the ground. Mouse control is too imprecise in a 3D environment, unless what you are really controlling is a cross-hairs and your ship is just getting dragged along behind it.

Besides, in most MMOs, 'keyboard turning' is bad because it is slower. It doesn't really work that way in STO space comabt, since the ships have a set rate of turn.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmanx View Post
Mouse control is too imprecise in a 3D environment
See, though, I find the opposite to be true. My movements wind up being far more precise in space when I use the mouse as opposed to using WASD. So I think this is an example of YMMV, not an absolute 'this is the correct way and the other method fails'.
Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester

"The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."
Lieutenant
# 14
04-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I use both, though I altered the config so that instead of having to hold down both mouse buttons I toggle mouse nav on and off with the right press and use the left button to turn based on the mouse view. (Just moving the mouse in mouse nav mode moves the view.) Mouse flying is normal for non-combat use.

In combat, if I want to keep the enemy in sight, I often use the keyboard for turning. Since I use autofire configured to stay active as long as I'm in red alert (and have a target) I don't have to worry about firing weapons, though before I learned how that worked I used to keep mashing the space bar. For certain maneuvers (usually outside of combat) I find the mouse to be a bit more precise since the direction can be fine tuned a little bit better as opposed to using a key press which rotates the ship a set amount, which may be more then I want it to move.

To make boff skills easier to do on my laptop's keyboard, I use the alt+number and shift+number for 2nd/3rd trays instead of ctrl+number.
Captain
# 15
04-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatyanasergei View Post
See, though, I find the opposite to be true. My movements wind up being far more precise in space when I use the mouse as opposed to using WASD. So I think this is an example of YMMV, not an absolute 'this is the correct way and the other method fails'.
Could be.

When I try to use the mouse to steer, I'm wobbling all over the place. I can never just turn right or left, I turn up or down too whether I want to or not. That means a lot of time wasted with pointless manoeuvring in a big ship, and my aim being thrown off a lot when flying something nimble with narrow forward firing arcs.

But that could just be me.

I like having a buttons for 'left', 'right', 'up', and 'down'; it means I can give clearer direction to my ship. I don't get that with a mouse.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Rihannsu
# 16
04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
yeah, I prefer to steer using the Keyboard, that's how I'm used to flying in bridge commander, and it frees my mouse up to move the camera and designate targets, or to click powers.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmanx View Post
... and my aim being thrown off a lot when flying something nimble with narrow forward firing arcs.

I like having a buttons for 'left', 'right', 'up', and 'down'; it means I can give clearer direction to my ship. I don't get that with a mouse.
Again, though; I find it easier to move where I want to by pointing my vessel -exactly- where I want it to go. Which also winds up keeping my narrow-arc Science powers in line a lot more accurately. And as far as I know, all but one of the members of the PVP premade I run weekly do the same!

Both ways are equally valid- Player preference and comfort is what really allows a given player to excel with one over the other.
Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester

"The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."
Lieutenant
# 18
04-23-2013, 04:40 PM
I myself use both, depending on weather or not I feel like using the keyboard that day.
In PvP however I always use keyboard, less awkward for me.
Captain
# 19
04-23-2013, 06:42 PM
I use the keyboard for maneuvering, and the mouse for using weapons/abilities.
Captain
# 20
04-23-2013, 08:05 PM
For me, my left hand is always planted on the WASD during space combat. But while it is there, I can also easily hit the impulse + and - keys (q and e). So I can maneuver while throwing my ship into reverse to get it lined up with its DHCs. Additionally, I have my "spam" key bound to x. When I'm in a cloaking ship, I put the cloak there (x is bound to tray power 1). Otherwise I'll put something like Aux2SIF so I can spam it every 15 seconds.

My right hand is almost always on the mouse, pressing tray powers, selecting targets, etc. Sometimes when I'm fighting slower enemies or players I can let go of the mouse and press my keybound tray powers. Row 1 is bound to the numbers, row 2 bound to the F numbers, and row three to the keypad. Row three is where I put my less used/unused/sector space powers. In battle I never maneuver with the mouse.