Rihannsu
# 31
04-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Yeah the cloaking situation needs desperate fixing especially with the coming Romulan faction, I can understand if its a big undertaking but still it should be done we've waited this long and I myself would be willing to deal with a slight delay to have it fixed once and for all.

Heh, the current state of the cloaking mechanics makes me think of how different and short Kirk and Changs battle would have been if their cloak worked like ours do.

Chang: "I can see you, Kirk."
Kirk: "Chang."
Chang: "Can you see me?"
Kirk: "Why yes, yes I can. You uncloaked the moment you started talking... Fire!"
Chang: *facepalm*

This is how things feel with the mechanic as is, its laughable at best atm. There are many who don't even bother with the cloaking because of this and even with the up coming Romulans they've used the tag line "They are the masters of cloaking technology" yet the game play focus and selling point seems to be more on the singularity powers then the cloaking itself. Thats some Tal Shiar level of misdirection there, at least they got that right...
"STO - To boldly frakk up what wasn't frakked before...."
Rihannsu
# 32
04-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirahitomi View Post

Chang: "I can see you, Kirk."
Kirk: "Chang."
Chang: "Can you see me?"
Kirk: "Why yes, yes I can. You uncloaked the moment you started talking... Fire!"
Chang: *facepalm*
Wow. Out of all the comparisons and statements in this thread, this was the funniest - AND the one that definitely gets the message across (I think anyway). ~chuckles~ I pictured the whole scene in my head, too.

But, yes, I do agree cloak should be worked on. I could care less about scans, loot, etc. But every popup disabling the cloak is really annoying. To be honest it did not get to me as much until I started testing the Romulans on Tribble. SO many needless and badly timed decloaks over there for a single message.

"Hey . . . we're hailing you, so we can see you now."

"Okay, yes, we received your hail. One moment while we decloak right in front of you and leave ourselves open to being fired on and beat on while we finish reading your message."

"Thank you."

THAT is where it really gets annoying. You are sitting there trying to actually read the story-line and dialog and some ship starts firing on you because the message knocked out your cloak.
Fazemladaiya - proven to be THE friendliest guy on the gaming forums.
My Graphic Design Specs. Gaming computer specs coming soon once she is built.
Survivor of Romulus
# 33
04-22-2013, 11:59 AM
And don't forget, if you cloak while a dialogue message is up, it closes the dialogue. Reopening the dialogue decloaks you, so there's literally no way to stay cloaked and read mission dialogue, even if it's your own bridge officer.

I still want bare feet.... on ALL costumes.
Starfleet Veteran
# 34
04-22-2013, 12:01 PM
They had this "fixed" at one point after it started. We know it was a substantial fix, and took a very long time, and supposedly required some flag being changed on every mission map of the game... It took a long time to get the fix in, and slowly missions where it wasn't fixed got fixed.

Then all at once it came back everywhere, and that was the first time it was called "working as intended." It was an acknowledged bug before.

It's a bad intention. Players appreciated it being fixed the first time, and going back on that fix is silly and a waste of the effort it took to fix. Which, sadly, will probably have to be repeated.
Captain
# 35
04-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Haha, now that it's going to be more of a problem not solely affecting the KDF it warrants a fix?

In all seriousness, please fix it. I think it's even gotten worse, now those little mini fly ins (the ones you said weren't supposed to decloak you?) they are decloaking me now too...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Rihannsu
# 36
04-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazemladaiya View Post
Wow. Out of all the comparisons and statements in this thread, this was the funniest - AND the one that definitely gets the message across (I think anyway). ~chuckles~ I pictured the whole scene in my head, too.
Why thank you very much I thought it painted a rather accurate picture of the current state of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc10b View Post
I think it's even gotten worse, now those little mini fly ins (the ones you said weren't supposed to decloak you?) they are decloaking me now too...
I would agree with you, even the fly ins for someone getting a lockbox are uncloaking me now, and no turning off the fly ins does not stop it from happening it happens anyways. Random uncloak... wtf? ... *checks chat box* "xyz just got xyz from lockbox" ... o.0 *twitch*

Its not "working as intended" its broke plain and simple, just admit it and fix it already.
Career Officer
# 37
04-22-2013, 05:46 PM
I haven't had any problems with Fly ins causing any decloaking, at least so far... I really barely bothered with cloaking on my KDF officers on live. If it's not battle cloak it jsut never seemed musch worth using. That being said, and fully admitiing it doesn't affect me much, I don't really care much for PVP and I play Mainly feds on live... the decloaking when you get any kind of contact window is really crappy. I personally wouldn't say put off the release just to fix it.. but... if the fix is something they Can do, and jsut don't becuase it would have to be done By map.. why not do it in stages. a patch here, and patch there, a few maps fixed with each one, untill all maps in all sectors are fixed?
Rihannsu
# 38
04-22-2013, 06:06 PM
I've been following the cloaking issue from afar since it was first reported.

What I've seen over the years since, is Cryptic change their stance on the issue several times.

These have included;
  • It's a bug
  • It's Story dependant.
  • Working as Intended.
  • It's Map dependant.

The fact that it has not been fixed for so long, raises doubts as to how much effort Cryptic has been putting into fixing it, or if indeed they're willing to fix it.

Over the years this game has seen many bugs, and a lot of the more difficult, persistent ones, have been labelled by Cryptic "working as intended" with little to no observable change by the players.
MikeWard1701 (Special Envoy)

facebook twitter Steam STOwiki Raptr - feel free to follow/friend me : )

Last edited by mikeward1701; 04-22-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo
Captain
# 39
04-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shariala View Post
why not do it in stages. a patch here, and patch there, a few maps fixed with each one, untill all maps in all sectors are fixed?
Because that would be smart and productive? That's my guess as to why not.
Rihannsu
# 40
04-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathofachilles View Post
Because that would be smart and productive? That's my guess as to why not.
Hey now lets keep it constructive, won't get anything fixed if we're jerks about it.

Hey OP its your thread and all but you may want to keep in mind that the best way to keep it from getting buried and keep it on peoples minds is to occasionally respond to posters and provide some feedback yourself.

Otherwise "working as intended" may become a permanent answer to this and many other problems in game.

Just saying...