Captain
# 41
04-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirahitomi View Post
Hey now lets keep it constructive, won't get anything fixed if we're jerks about it.

Hey OP its your thread and all but you may want to keep in mind that the best way to keep it from getting buried and keep it on peoples minds is to occasionally respond to posters and provide some feedback yourself.

Otherwise "working as intended" may become a permanent answer to this and many other problems in game.

Just saying...
Lol, I know, that was a little mean, but I know how easy it is to look at a big ol mess, get daunted, and decide... "meh... who needs a clean garage?" And walk away. The key in those instances is to attack it a little at a time a day at a time, and before you know it, you've whittled away a massive mess/problem without losing your mind in the process.
Starfleet Veteran
# 42
04-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Is cloak really used outside of PVP???

So far on my Romulan I've only cloaked once just for fun, usually I find it more efficient to simply take out the PVE enemie., I've never encountered a situation where I felt I had to run and hide against the enemy AI.

I could see from a RP perspective wanting it but does it really impact a player's ability to progress through the missions? Infinite invisibility is a pretty strong ability and I can see why they would want to keep it in check, though they definitely could do something better than have BO dialog disable cloak, that's just stupid.
=/\= ================================= =/\=
Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
=/\= ================================= =/\=
Commander
# 43
04-24-2013, 06:02 AM
The last official reason for why it was WAI was because cloaking whilst in certain dialogues broke event sequencing. Dan did mention at one point that they were planning on going through and altering one click boxes (boxes where you just confirm the dialogue without any real conversation) with flyby dialogue that didn't affect cloaks but I have no idea how this is coming along or even if they're working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintrueheart View Post

So far on my Romulan I've only cloaked once just for fun, usually I find it more efficient to simply take out the PVE enemie., I've never encountered a situation where I felt I had to run and hide against the enemy AI.

I could see from a RP perspective wanting it but does it really impact a player's ability to progress through the missions? Infinite invisibility is a pretty strong ability and I can see why they would want to keep it in check, though they definitely could do something better than have BO dialog disable cloak, that's just stupid.
Romulans get a massive buff when coming out of cloak, large enough that I was able to take out a cardie cruiser and a frigate with an alpha strike coming out of cloak at one point on test.
Starfleet Veteran
# 44
04-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
Romulans get a massive buff when coming out of cloak, large enough that I was able to take out a cardie cruiser and a frigate with an alpha strike coming out of cloak at one point on test.
Checking the numbers, my science officer gets about a 25% damage buff coming out of cloak due to traits.
Starfleet Veteran
# 45
04-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
This is also the justification given for Romulans having lower power levels on their ships and warp cores, and generally sluggish turn rates - they have awesome cloaks.
Rihannsu
# 46
04-24-2013, 10:20 AM
You see as things currently stand cloaking is practically useless outside of cloaking torp boats used in pvp/pve. Sure it has the alpha strike capabilities but what good is that if your sneaking up on your target and then... *Hail, decloak, BAM, fail in fiery explosion...* Leaving most just going, "well what's the point of using that, back to the running in guns blazing."

If cloaking worked correctly then it would make the alpha strikes important, you could write missions that required you to be 'gasp' stealthy . As is instead of focusing on the cloaking which is what Romulans are supposed to be known for above all else we have, "heres your slow moving, tanking singularity machine." Which is somehow producing less power then a warp core (cause somehow a directed explosion (matter/antimatter reaction) is producing more power then harnessing a blackhole (singularity) and yeah don't EVEN get me started on that topic! )

Theirs the potential for so much more then an extra set of episodes, new race and shiny new ships, its a whole mechanic that could be used for so much and could be so much fun. Right now its good for RP, torp boats and royally aggravating the hell out of people who want to use it to any real effect. Can we please get a feature thats working correctly, instead of a bug thats "working as intended?"
"STO - To boldly frakk up what wasn't frakked before...."
Lieutenant
# 47
04-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
I agree that cloaks should not be disabled for a bridge officer chatting, ok hailing another vessel should reduce your cloak strength but again, not disable it.

I would happily wait a few days to have a changes made to resolve this issue
I keep seeing people say "a few days" "a day or two" or "slight delay" with regards to this. I honestly think if this is a bug, if it could be fixed that quickly, it would've been fixed. If it's a feature that was deliberately interwoven into the entire game, then NO WAY could it be fixed that quickly.

I agree that this should be fixed, and I am of the opinion that that fix should be of a "whatever it fracking takes" variety, but I think you're deluding yourself if you think this is a matter of a few days.
Captain
# 48
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I suppose I would agree that given the Romulan power drain levels they are stuck with, the buff coming out of cloak is going to be a lot more important than it ever was as a Klingon. That's a fair point in favor of looking at this more closely.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Lieutenant
# 49
04-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintrueheart View Post
Not as much as it should be, and that's rather the problem.
Lieutenant
# 50
04-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirahitomi View Post
Why thank you very much I thought it painted a rather accurate picture of the current state of things.

I would agree with you, even the fly ins for someone getting a lockbox are uncloaking me now, and no turning off the fly ins does not stop it from happening it happens anyways. Random uncloak... wtf? ... *checks chat box* "xyz just got xyz from lockbox" ... o.0 *twitch*

Its not "working as intended" its broke plain and simple, just admit it and fix it already.
Okay, I think you've got a little false correlation/causation going on here. I can't see any possible way that the lockbox messages would decloak you. They're part of the chat system, and the decloak trigger is part of the event system. Moreover, this would render cloaks literally useless, because every system message in the game would be breaking everybody's cloak.

(mind you, I admit I'm making a few assumptions about how the game is structured.)