Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 488
# 1 Opinion on the Legacy Pack.
04-19-2013, 12:58 AM
I am a lifer. No, I did not expect special goodies for being a lifer from Legacy of Romulus.

Even so, as a player who is looking forward to Legacy of Romulus, I feel that Cryptic/PW may have made a mistake in this Legacy Pack. It has plenty of stuff in it, yes, but that is the problem: too much stuff, so the price suggested factors all of it at once.

A lot of people will pay 10-15 dollars for something in a MMO on a whim, even for something cosmetic. A lot of those same people will pay 30-50 dollars for something signifigant, like an Odyssey 3-pack with all those cool console powers and set bonus (I did), even if for some that is a hit to the wallet that is noticed, even mourned (in before the "hurf durf get a real job bootstraps ur so entitled" responses). But the price suggested is simply too high, even with its arbitrary "discount" attached.

They should have "Legacy Pack Junior" with perhaps half of the stuff, in a tight well-thought-out bundle, and throw it out there at an appropiate price. Maybe have two packs, with the other half of the stuff in the other, and Cryptic/PW might see the sales increase.

It's a business thing: sometimes people will spend more overall if the price tag is initially low with other stuff that can be bought when brand loyalty is gained. Up until I couldn't find them anymore, I used the same brand of razor to shave every morning since I got a free one in the mail when I was a teenager, found it worked much better than the skin-bleeding disposables I was using before, and I must have made that company back hundreds of dollars on their investment, as one example.
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 185
# 2
04-19-2013, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalefactor View Post
I am a lifer. No, I did not expect special goodies for being a lifer from Legacy of Romulus.

Even so, as a player who is looking forward to Legacy of Romulus, I feel that Cryptic/PW may have made a mistake in this Legacy Pack. It has plenty of stuff in it, yes, but that is the problem: too much stuff, so the price suggested factors all of it at once.

A lot of people will pay 10-15 dollars for something in a MMO on a whim, even for something cosmetic. A lot of those same people will pay 30-50 dollars for something signifigant, like an Odyssey 3-pack with all those cool console powers and set bonus (I did), even if for some that is a hit to the wallet that is noticed, even mourned (in before the "hurf durf get a real job bootstraps ur so entitled" responses). But the price suggested is simply too high, even with its arbitrary "discount" attached.

They should have "Legacy Pack Junior" with perhaps half of the stuff, in a tight well-thought-out bundle, and throw it out there at an appropiate price. Maybe have two packs, with the other half of the stuff in the other, and Cryptic/PW might see the sales increase.

It's a business thing: sometimes people will spend more overall if the price tag is initially low with other stuff that can be bought when brand loyalty is gained. Up until I couldn't find them anymore, I used the same brand of razor to shave every morning since I got a free one in the mail when I was a teenager, found it worked much better than the skin-bleeding disposables I was using before, and I must have made that company back hundreds of dollars on their investment, as one example.
The Legacy Pack is a disount bundle.

All of the items (except title and special reman DOFF) will be available after launch in the c-store. So for lifetimers like yourself, you'll be able to spend the stipend on any of these items starting May 21.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 488
# 3
04-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
The Legacy Pack is a disount bundle.

All of the items (except title and special reman DOFF) will be available after launch in the c-store. So for lifetimers like yourself, you'll be able to spend the stipend on any of these items starting May 21.
That's the SECOND time that I posted something and the first responder was Stahl himself!

The first time was long ago when I asked if there were plans to have interior windows in spacedock so we could see parked ships. He said "yes" and then it happened and it was awesome.

Glad to see you're still around! I for one think you do fine work.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 172
# 4
04-19-2013, 01:12 AM
i am by no means a fan of cryptic sadly.

( dreadnaught hangarbays locked )

( cloak bugg still here and now with romulus the cloak masters this will be hard to miss )

but the legacy pack seems decent in content versus money.
so i support that.
If only they fix Cloaking bugg *new message BOOM decloacked.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 48
# 5
04-19-2013, 01:35 AM
While it is true that people tend to buy lower than higher priced goods and services, I think the investment is on the part of the buyer and not Cryptic. For the starter pack's $20 you get a $20 retrofit, a $10 console ship, and a $5 liberated borg. In all a savings of $10 when making this purchase. The Legacy pack does the same thing with a $55 savings on a $125 pack. One is a small mini investment to make it feel like it was worth the money and the other was the jackpot investment that is severely tempting, possibly enough to make people save up for it.

Considering that they recently ran a Neverwinter founder pack with three options, I'm betting that their returns on the midway pack were not that great. I'm betting the majority probably went for either the $20 one or the $125 one, meaning the time and money spent to compile a middle option went to waste. It forces people to choose and while it might not make everyone happy, it's a sound business move. The people who don't shell out in favor of the savings will pay more long term, the ones who do have more to play with and save more long term on the the single fleet module it will take to upgrade all those retrofits. Either way it encourages business and more business means more content.
Career Officer
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 47
# 6
04-19-2013, 01:55 AM
just buy the dang thing!i know you gonna end up having these ships in the long run so just get them now with the discount and then troll all the others who didnt.thats the simple reality.i was a big spender on the c-store since launch and all my fleet mates and friends called me a cryptic *****.now after 3 years they too own everything in the c-store.so there you have it.people will buy everything at some point.just be smart and get those stuff now with the discount.and the 30 keys are just fine.sell each for 1 mill or use them to get tickets for premium dilithium mining

at least thats what i thought when i purchased...^_^

Last edited by techstepman1; 04-19-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 228
# 7
04-19-2013, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by techstepman1 View Post
just buy the dang thing!i know you gonna end up having these ships in the long run so just get them now with the discount and then troll all the others who didnt.thats the simple reality.
I have most T1-T4 ships because of the consoles but I only buy T5 ships that I'm actually going to use. Since the pack costs almost $160 because of taxes and includes things like keys that I'd prefer to buy with EC, I'll get the cheaper pack and buy what I want with Dilithium.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 8
04-19-2013, 02:11 AM
My initial response was no freakin' way. I don't see myself flying every one of those ships. I'm an escort guy. I don't see myself flying an equivalent of a cruiser- especially if it's whale-ish like the Oddy. There's a few I like, I like the scorpion, I like the Reman character. At first I figured I'd wait until launch and use Dil to buy zen to get only what I wanted.

But, I've been playing the LoR beta tonight. Everything about it is sweet. Depending on what the dev's have to say about the ships before launch I will most likely try to scrape up the money to get it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 47
# 9
04-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamintha View Post
I have most T1-T4 ships because of the consoles but I only buy T5 ships that I'm actually going to use. Since the pack costs almost $160 because of taxes and includes things like keys that I'd prefer to buy with EC, I'll get the cheaper pack and buy what I want with Dilithium.
good for you! i wish i could convince myself i dont need all of them.but after you max out one character you make a new one from a different class to experience the gameplay of other classes right?thats what i do.so that way i end up buying everything lolz.im a LTS so since i dont pay for anything anymore i say the money i would waste on subs i waste on the c-store and now the legacy pack.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,846
# 10
04-19-2013, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
The Legacy Pack is a disount bundle.

All of the items (except title and special reman DOFF) will be available after launch in the c-store. So for lifetimers like yourself, you'll be able to spend the stipend on any of these items starting May 21.
The only thing that, somehow, bothers me, is the Reman Borg BO.

Granted, I hope that it will be included into the existing pre-orders (I am speaking as a pre-ordering customer, not LTS right now), but I also know that ain't going to happen.

The pack does seem nice... But it sucks that I can't afford it.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 AM.