I am new to sto and only recently became a vice admiral engineer. The ranks before vice admiral there has only been 3 or for ships to buy now with so many ships to choose from I am wondering which ones are best. I have been using science ships for their good survivability in battle but I am now wondering if they are really the best choice. Now there are multiple science ships that can be obtained and I am wondering which of them to choose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Some questions you can answer which will help to narrow down the choice.
- Do you enjoy the ships you use right now? If this is true then go with what you are already familiar with and enjoy using.
- How willing are you to spend Real Money? Some C-Store ships can be well worth the cash in terms of their added capabilities and are good entertainment value for the money.
- Please remember any ship is merely the shiny metal box in which we carry the cool toys. Poor utilization and the wrong weapons/console loadout can seriously affect your perception of a ship. It has taken me a long time to equip all of my ships the way I wanted so they are effective members of a team. Some of them I was tempted to give up on. But persistence paid off and now I am quite pleased with the results.
- Are you agonizing over the choices? If so, then stop it! STO is supposed to be about fun. Your own fun and entertainment are paramount(no pun intended). You want to choose correctly and you don't want to make a mistake. This is entirely understandable. However, part of learning how to play STO well is making mistakes. No one has ever played this game flawlessly or mistake free. Besides, if you choose poorly, you can always go back and choose again. No one is locked into a specific ship or class of ship. I have a Fed TAC who swans about in a Vesta. For no other reason than I like the Vesta. My Klink TAC uses a Vor'cha. Because I like the Vor'cha. My Fed ENG uses a Mirror Universe Advanced Escort. 'Glass Cannon' my foot! lol. It's pretty tanky if I do say so myself.
In the end any choice of ship should be yours and yours alone. All the rest of us can do is suggest what we use. Which you may not like. And if you choose what we suggest and that choice makes the game not fun for you, then we have done you a disservice.
- Please remember any ship is merely the shiny metal box in which we carry the cool toys.
Choose the ship you think looks the best. Any ship can be built into something effective (well, maybe not the Galaxy Retro) but it all comes down to finding something that matches your playstyle and has a rear end you wan to look at while you're zipping around space.
Personally I have a ton of ships most of the lock box ships, all the available mirror ships, and most of the cstore ships "currently working on filling out my collection but i am outta ship slots" The more ships the better that way u can jump to a new ship every day or so and not get bord looking at the the same warp nacell day by day Feed the Beast that is PWI
Go to the exchange, buy some mirror ships. Go buy an escort and a cruiser if possible, they are really cheap. Play some missions with them, read in the forums about how to make good setups (weapons/boffs), then you will have it easier to know which kind of ships fit best to your playstyle, just test before you decide and use up your ship token or buy a ship from C-Store.
In general, cruisers are more survivable but have slow turnrate, and escort do more damage and turn really fast (but have less shields and hull).
My standard suggestion is the Patrol Escort. It's got good endurance and some pretty sharp teeth. You can pick up the mirror version on the exchange for a couple thousand energy credits these days. It's a very forgiving ship and a great platform to learn the mechanics of the game with.
If you're a fan of science ships though, I will highly recommend the tactical Vesta. It has a fragile hull(meaning shields are very important), but it's also flexible enough to perform just about any role you throw at it(the only exception I can think of off the top of my head is a minelayer - which only ships with commander tactical bridge slots can truly shine at).
...If you're a fan of science ships though, I will highly recommend the tactical Vesta. It has a fragile hull(meaning shields are very important), but it's also flexible enough to perform just about any role you throw at it(the only exception I can think of off the top of my head is a minelayer - which only ships with commander tactical bridge slots can truly shine at).
My TAC flies a Surveillance Vesta. I have the other two as well but I seem to be more effective with the Science variant. I mounted one Transphasic Mine Launcher Mk XII [Dmg]x3 aft. I did not mount any consoles which improve mine damage. The other two aft weapons are turrets. I wanted a stinger or, more often, a quick shield to make my escape behind. With Dispersal Pattern Beta, I can sometimes make a bombing run as well. The hull is kinda light, but the shields are decent enough to make a firing pass or two. This setup works well on the Recon and Engineer variants but like I said, I've had more success with the Science variant.
"Negative Red Five. Set up for another run. Come in fast and hard. Lost Dutch. Lost Tyree. They come at you from behind..."
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries. Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek