Survivor of Romulus
# 1 Okay I gotta ask.....
04-21-2013, 11:58 AM
I know the past couple of years there's been talk of schools in the US not teaching cursive writing anymore. My question is when in the hell did they stop teaching people how to read or for that matter simple comprehension of what they are reading ???!!!!!

The influx of raging idiots on here going off on forum wide rages because they didn't comprehend something they read is becoming seriously insane. If it was a virus that spread this quickly, the CDC would have put us all in quarantine and anyone we've had contact with.

Has texting and tweeting and every other one-liner social media really degraded human intelligence this quickly and severely with anything composed of more than one sentence, or is it just a random string of recent coincidence?
Captain
# 2
04-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesdark View Post
Has Facebook, texting and tweeting and every other one-liner social media really degraded human intelligence this quickly and severely with anything composed of more than one sentence, or is it just a random string of recent coincidence?
This summed it up quite nicely, and I've added my own little touch.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 3
04-21-2013, 12:28 PM
I would not be so hard on people so quickly. If I try to read announcements on French or German games I end up with such poor comprehension it really shows. The same applies for others whose native language is not one which the announcements are made in.

If the posts were made by native english speakers then yes, be hard on them as they have a lot to learn, otherwise just imagine they dont speak english properly and forgive them.

As an example of how they might read an announcement try running the news page through Google translate twice, once to maybe swedish and then back to english and see how weird it looks as that might give an idea of how people are reading the news.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Career Officer
# 4
04-21-2013, 12:29 PM
They still taught that when I was in, but Ive heard lately to pass English call you have to learn Spanish......I wonder, to pass French class do you have to learn German?

They even changed math since i've been in, apparently long division (what i was taught) is no longer acceptable :O

Truth is stranger then fiction! Anything stranger then tat comes from public schools !! ^^
Maquis resistance - Fighting against PWE Tyranny (clip)
Glasses that see the truth, are never rose colored
How Picard dealt with ARC_STO Feedback_ARC Wars time capsule__Every episode of TNG if written by STO
Captain
# 5
04-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Oh, it's hardly a recent phenomenon - it's just that with the advent of the Internet, what was once fairly harmless blather over a breakfast table as someone half-read the newspaper headline and decided from that what the article might say, has now become broadcast to the entire world via Facebook, Twitter, and blogs.

And of course the tendency of this to happen with online conversations is merely an extension of what happens with verbal conversations. (Have you ever noticed that a good many people, rather than listening to everything you have to say, just listen to as much as they think they need to in order to formulate a response, then spend the time considering what they're going to say rather than listening any further?)

tl;dr - Electronic communications let people look stupid to a much wider audience than they used to.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 6
04-21-2013, 12:39 PM
There's actually a couple of good reasons to get rid of cursive. It's actually quite expensive to teach it, due to the materials and time involved. That's time that could be used for other things.

People need to remember why cursive was invented as well. It was developed as a faster way of writing, that allowed people to write large, long business documents, novels, essays and whatever in a short period of time. Nowadays with computers, cursive is actually very counter intuitive to it's original purpose. It takes a lot longer to write something in cursive than it takes to type it out.

It's the typographical equivalent of the stagecoach, and there's a reason we don't use those for mail anymore. Grammar, reading comprehension, and intelligence will live on without cursive, that I promise you. I can understand why getting rid of cursive rubs a lot of people the same way, but we shouldn't use cursive for the same reason we don't use feather quills anymore. It's impractical.

Businesses, writers, and print shops (the kind of things that gave us calligraphy and cursive n the first place) have been doing away with cursive for the past 200 years. You wont even find "please use print" on documents much anymore because it's expected. Cursive is very hard to read quickly, and you better believe that some poor intern stuck reading 2500 applications isn't going to want to put up with some idiot who thinks he's "refined".

I work in the graphic design industry, and I have seen some really nice advertisements and websites fail, simply because people couldn't read it quickly. It's not because their becoming stupider, it's because we live in a different world than we did 300 years ago. So getting rid of cursive should be no more difficult than getting rid of Linotype Machines. (As freaking awesome as those things are)
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 7
04-21-2013, 12:48 PM
People are stupid.

The problem you describe is not only affecting the US, it's affecting the whole occident.

A lot of folks use phonetics in their writing and get genuinely offended when you correct them. How many times have I been compared to a Nazi for pointing out basic mistakes.

I once saw a post of facebook, from someone complaining that nobody speaks french anymore in montreal. In a sentence of 8 words, not a single one was written correctly, and he ironically used 2 english words in that sentence (mispelled of course!).

People are stupid.
Rihannsu
# 8
04-21-2013, 01:28 PM
the problem often starts with just one person not reading properly or having some kind of reading comprehension failure, then spreading their incorrect view of the situation to everybody else who, while understanding him perfectly, now think its true.

you then have what seems like a lot of idiots who cant read, where in fact its one and a lot of misinformed people.

what a lot of people are guilty of is believing what they hear from one source without fact checking it themselves.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Republic Veteran
# 9
04-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Yeah, it's a lot of one person did not read everything, and spread the word.

My fleet mates one by one kept raging saying the expansion is expensive because they heard from so and so.

Cryptic keeps making something signature worthy almost everyday now, I 'm taking a break
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
04-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
This summed it up quite nicely, and I've added my own little touch.
Yeah thanks for that I knew it was missing something lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
I would not be so hard on people so quickly. If I try to read announcements on French or German games I end up with such poor comprehension it really shows. The same applies for others whose native language is not one which the announcements are made in.

If the posts were made by native english speakers then yes, be hard on them as they have a lot to learn, otherwise just imagine they dont speak english properly and forgive them.

As an example of how they might read an announcement try running the news page through Google translate twice, once to maybe swedish and then back to english and see how weird it looks as that might give an idea of how people are reading the news.
believe me when I say if it was someone that wasn't comprehending it because English isn't their primary language I would fully understand that, I'm referring to people who either English is their primary language or they are very fluent in English.