Captain
# 111
04-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacharge07 View Post
And he was back shortly thereafter and in all the following movies, and even in the JJ Abrams alternate universe film.

There has not been a prime universe movie since Nemesis, and if there is, Data will not be in it. Spiner has retired from Trek films because he does not want to do them anymore. Which is a far different reason than thinking that someone's ruining your show by making a movie of it to wring out cash.

The guy flat out does not want to do it anymore, and it's not happening. Spiner wanted Data dead, the directors wrote him out, and he is gone, and will not be returning to the prime universe or in any way portrayed by Brent Spiner.

Data now only exists in alternate universe books and games.
It doesn't matter if Spiner wants to do it or not not, or if there has been a movie since Nemesis or not, what matters is that the door was deliberately left open for the character to return. Heck, they could get a completely different actor to play Data 2.0, since they could just say his face and voice got remodelled or damaged a bit while they were poking about in B4's head.

The Nemesis writers (with collaboration from Spiner himself, since he also played B4) saw to it that the lore of the Prime Universe has a built in loophole allowing the character to make a return.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'
Commander
# 112
04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmanx View Post
It doesn't matter if Spiner wants to do it or not not, or if there has been a movie since Nemesis or not, what matters is that the door was deliberately left open for the character to return. Heck, they could get a completely different actor to play Data 2.0, since they could just say his face and voice got remodelled or damaged a bit while they were poking about in B4's head.

The Nemesis writers (with collaboration from Spiner himself, since he also played B4) saw to it that the lore of the Prime Universe has a built in loophole allowing the character to make a return.
No, Spiner killed Data off as he will not be returning, in the prime universe they made it clear B4 could never be Data.

The door was not left open. All that was left was that there was a "lookalike" with down syndrome who can hum a tune. He can never be able to be the Data that was lost. They made that clear in Nemesis, listen to the dialogue. The only way a Data exists is in an alternate universe where he never blew up on the Scimitar. Prime Data is dead and he isn't coming back.
Captain
# 113
04-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
All that was left was that there was a "lookalike" ... who can hum a tune..
A look alike who can hum a tune that he would only know from the memories of Data that had been downloaded into his head.

Its the same basic premise that happened with Spock at the end of WoK.
Captain
# 114
04-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
interesting fact carbon based life is the least probable form chemically (we are a freak of nature)
This is in fact incorrect. There are very few elements that can serve as a stable base for the sort of long-chain molecules required by life; carbon is one of those. (Another is silicon, but as most long-chain silicon-based molecules tend to burn in the presence of free oxygen, it's highly unlikely as a basis for life in a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere.)

Carbon is also highly abundant in the universe, being a product of the oldest stars' later fusion reactions, and blown into stellar nurseries during supernova events. (We're all descended from some star or stars that was/were the creator of the nebula that birthed the Sun, some five billion years ago.) Thus, it's quite probable that any other life forms we encounter in this universe will be carbon-based. (At least, life forms found on the sorts of planets we can use - silicon-based forms could exist on worlds with no free oxygen, but they'd be interesting only as distant neighbors, as we could only visit one another while wearing a lot of protective gear.)

On the note of Brent Spiner - it does not matter whether he ever wants to play Data again. Data is a fictional character, whose continued fictional "existence" is a matter completely separate from the wishes of the actor who helped create him. (Just as Spock continued to exist as a fictional character, enabling his resurrection when Nimoy changed his mind.) And I find your definition of "life" to be excessively narrow, and displaying a terrible prejudice toward biological life forms.
-------------------------------------------
"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!" - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
Empire Veteran
# 115
04-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
alright if you put it like that, remove our heart we alive as well? no, just as much as she depends on some of that borg gear its just as much as we depend on our organs to survive. how does that to prove she is undead?
under this definition picard is undead since he has a artificial heart
Commander
# 116
04-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Quote:
No, Spiner killed Data off as he will not be returning, in the prime universe they made it clear B4 could never be Data.

The door was not left open. All that was left was that there was a "lookalike" with down syndrome who can hum a tune. He can never be able to be the Data that was lost. They made that clear in Nemesis, listen to the dialogue. The only way a Data exists is in an alternate universe where he never blew up on the Scimitar. Prime Data is dead and he isn't coming back.
Brent Spinner has no real say in what happens to Data as the character is owned by CBS.

He has the rights to prevent his image being used but not to turn around and declare Data is dead.

He also allowed CBS to license comicbooks set post Nemesis where Data is the captain of the Enterprise E/

Last edited by bluedarky; 04-24-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Commander
# 117
04-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
Brent Spinner has no real say in what happens to Data as the character is owned by CBS.

He has the rights to prevent his image being used but not to turn around and declare Data is dead.
Of course not, but you won't see Data in prime universe again. He's dead, he's not coming back. Bookmark this page and my comment, lets come back in 20 years, and I'll say I told you so. Data is at an end in prime universe. The only way he lives on is in alternate universes.
Commander
# 118
04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Of course not, but you won't see Data in prime universe again. He's dead, he's not coming back. Bookmark this page and my comment, lets come back in 20 years, and I'll say I told you so. Data is at an end in prime universe. The only way he lives on is in alternate universes.
Ok, now define Prime Universe remembering that officially according to the license holders STO is set in the Prime Universe.
Captain
# 119
04-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Or, Data reappears in a future TV show or movie, but has altered his appearance (he is an android, after all, and doesn't have to look like Noonien Soong for the rest of his operational span), and is thus played by a new actor.

For a generation, Basil Rathbone defined Sherlock Holmes. That does not mean Holmes died when Rathbone did. James Bond didn't die when Sean Connery stopped playing him. And Data won't cease to function until CBS or Paramount decrees it so.
-------------------------------------------
"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!" - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
Survivor of Romulus
# 120
04-24-2013, 09:01 PM
No one really dies in fiction.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.