Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Starfleet Veteran
At least for the Mk XII set, which is something that I have been hoping for since different marks of the set have been made available through the Omega Force reputation.

Ideally, however, I would like the visuals to scale from the current versions at Mk X, towards the kind of appearance style used on the new Tal Shiar Adapted Borg Vessels by Mk XII.

Compared to these two ships, the current appearances for the Borg set visuals are... underwhelming. Still cool, but out of all the space sets these could stand to be given a visual progression the most considering their nature and the story surrounding the technology.
Lieutenant
# 2
05-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Awesome idea you have there sir.
Captain
# 3
05-21-2013, 05:56 AM
If they do that, all the coolness of the Tal Shiar ships will go to waste. I'd love for it to happen, but I highly doubt it will.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
05-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
If they do that, all the coolness of the Tal Shiar ships will go to waste. I'd love for it to happen, but I highly doubt it will.
Actually, not necessarily. They will probably still remain the most visually converted ships, but I intended the Mk XII version of the Borg set to match the style. I was not asking for it to match the conversion coverage as well. You should still be able to see good portions of your ship, as before.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
06-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I hate having to do this, but the thread was on page four.

With the updated visuals, the Tal Shiar ships would actually be able to look even MORE like the Narada with the full Borg set equipped.
Captain
# 6
06-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Well there is a different look to the 2 systems, the Tal'Shiar systems have an engineered appearance, they've molded Borg technology to their needs.
The Borg set just has that ugly haphazard Borg infested look.
I don't expect the latter will get an update in appearance since the Tal'Shiar had no part in it's implementation, unfortunately.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
06-06-2013, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Well there is a different look to the 2 systems, the Tal'Shiar systems have an engineered appearance, they've molded Borg technology to their needs.
The Borg set just has that ugly haphazard Borg infested look.
I don't expect the latter will get an update in appearance since the Tal'Shiar had no part in it's implementation, unfortunately.
Actually, that "engineered" appearance is due to the Borg systems in the Tal Shiar vessels "evolving" them via nanites. The current Borg set items have not progressed that far. What I was proposing was changing the Mk XI and Mk XII Borg set items to progress towards this look, in a similar fashion. Considering the way the visuals currently look, chances are that the set items use nanites as well, in-continuity. There would at least be precedent for it.

This might finally allow for a better-looking version of the Assimilated Module appearance, which isn't always... placed right on some ships.

Also, the current look of the set part visuals was probably in part due to Cryptic not being able to acquire the rights to make ships using a similar style to the Narada at the time the game was launched. Now they can.

Last edited by theoryfive; 06-06-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Captain
# 8
06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
They shouldnt.
They are based on two very different looks.

The Assimilated set is based on the borg enhanced voyager appearance from the episode Scorpion.
While the Adapted Tal'shiar ships are based on the Narada's visual style.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
06-07-2013, 12:19 AM
It's still the same tech. Borg tech was also used in the outfitting of the Narada and Tal Shiar ships, via The Vault. They "grew" to the appearances they had via ship-based nanite systems. It's well within the technology's capabilities.

That's why I was asking for a progression, with the Mk X set visuals the exact same as before. If Cryptic ever adds equipment visuals to the starship customizer, it's not like it would matter anyway since which look you'd display - if any - would still be your choice.
Captain
# 10
06-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryfive View Post
It's still the same tech. Borg tech was also used in the outfitting of the Narada and Tal Shiar ships, via The Vault. They "grew" to the appearances they had via ship-based nanite systems. It's well within the technology's capabilities.

That's why I was asking for a progression, with the Mk X set visuals the exact same as before. If Cryptic ever adds equipment visuals to the starship customizer, it's not like it would matter anyway since which look you'd display - if any - would still be your choice.
Yes and no.
The Adapted Borg tech has pretty much been reverse engineered by the Tal'shiar for their own purposes.

Voyager was equipped with "raw" and pure Borg technology and was most likely a partial-assimilation of the ship(considering the trouble they went through stripping it out and the problems it caused with the ship systems).