Republic Veteran
I'm not sure if the devs have mentioned this, thus far I haven't found any comments on it. If they have, ignore my post below and point me to their solutions, I'd love to read it.

I assume our Romulan toons going to hit fifty and start with zero rep across the board. No rep with Omega, Events or the new Tholian category, this makes sense.

However, having no rep at all with the Romulan faction seems well... crazy. The whole faction storyline is basically you working for the Romulan Republic and gaining ranks in their navy. By the time the rep system opens up at 50, you have been promoted through the ranks to Vice Admiral of the Romulan Navy after all. Do all the previous missions account for nothing? Storywise it just seems odd to start at the same point as a FED or KDF character.

Gameplay wise I get the reasoning and I seriously doubt Romulan toons will start at say tier 1 or 2 completed of the rep. However, would it be game breaking at the least to have the Romulan toons start with a stash of Romulan marks? The time gate/barrier is still in place and it gives the impression the previous work you did for the Republic meant something.
Career Officer
# 2
04-21-2013, 07:02 PM
This would make sense, starting Romulan Characters out at Tier 1 New Romulus Rep, but as you say I doubt the devs will do it for game play purposes. Still yes, it makes total sense that after an entire career of working for the Republic, watching ship mates die for the Republic, and suffering for the Republic, that there are Starfleet and klingon Officers who have a better Reputation with New Romulus then I do.
Career Officer
# 3
04-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Or perhaps just rename the reputation slightly to make it represent the rebuilding effort.

I am wondering though if the New Rom Reputation missions are different for Romulans. It would definitely make sense for the dialog to be slightly different.
Captain
# 4
04-21-2013, 07:05 PM
I would like it if there was some way to earn romulan plasma-disruptor weapons before the rom rep unlocks, while you are leveling up.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Republic Veteran
# 5
04-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudoku7 View Post
Or perhaps just rename the reputation slightly to make it represent the rebuilding effort.

I am wondering though if the New Rom Reputation missions are different for Romulans. It would definitely make sense for the dialog to be slightly different.
Renaming could work, but we aren't just rebuilding. In the system missions you do a bit of everything. More than a few missions wouldn't be rebuilding, but rather protection detail.

The same could be said for the Omega system, what are you rebuilding there?
Career Officer
# 6
04-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonjean View Post
Renaming could work, but we aren't just rebuilding. In the system missions you do a bit of everything. More than a few missions wouldn't be rebuilding, but rather protection detail.

The same could be said for the Omega system, what are you rebuilding there?
To clarify, I meant renaming the New Romulan reputation to indicate it's the rebuilding effort, not the reputation system as a whole. But you do have a very good point wrt the space missions especially.

Will wait and see what happens when we hit 50 and unlock access to New Rom rep, they may have some story explanation that's suitable. Hopefully they did consider it.
Career Officer
# 7
04-21-2013, 07:18 PM
I think it's stupid having Romulans do Romulan Reputation.

In the storyline, we are helping to found the Romulan Republic and becoming #1 enemy of the Tal Shiar and the Imperial Romulans. You would think you could've had a pretty good reputation with the Republic Romulans by the time you become an Admiral.

What Cryptic should do for Romulan Republicans is automatically unlock Romulan Reputation Tiers at every promotion. (Not like players are going to be able to use that equipment anyhow).

That way it's one less grinding to do at Endgame.
Captain
# 8
04-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Make the story missions grant craptons of RM. That will solve the matter. As it stands, given that doing the mission at < 50 gives a piece of worthless junk as a reward, I intend to powerlevel to 50 off Mirror/Doffing before touching any of it.
Captain
# 9
04-21-2013, 07:41 PM
I think each mission we do should contribute to unlocking Romulan rep.
It shouldn't give us marks or anything, but it would mean when we do start earning marks we can get started on saving to buy equipment from what is basically our own faction right away.
Lieutenant
# 10
04-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Not to mention you FOUND New Romulus for them in the FIRST place.