Republic Veteran
Encounter felt a tad over the top compared to how little time one would have spent optimizing the bridge crew at this point. Took a couple tries to get his Lieutenants down before he could go down.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-19-2013, 09:25 AM
I am inclined to agree; given the placement of the encounter in question it is probably somewhat too hard (especially taking into account that not every player is a veteran who knows exactly what to do and how to optimize everything for maximal efficiency).
Commander
# 3
04-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Some lessons are supposed to be hard, only stuff my ship and crew is outfitted with is from drops and mission rewards up till that mission.I didn't have much issue taking them down, then again I have played the game a long time and have fought the thols extensively so I might be using my past experiences on that...
Captain
# 4
04-19-2013, 11:47 AM
The main problem with dealing with the Tholians(in general) is the suicidal Boff AI. If they ran out of AoEs instead of into them, targetted mines and stasis drones, and actively revived downed team members, Tholians would be quite fun to fight.

As it is now though, you just get stasis'd, mined, and watch helplessly as your entire team just stands around shooting in random directions while huddled around the big blinky device of instant-death. (That's exactly what happened to me when I did the mission and I just applied face directly to palm.)

I actually haven't done the T5 New Romulan Rep mission on two of my Holodeck characters, despite the great rewards, because of how obnoxious it is to fight some of those groups in there.
Captain
# 5
04-19-2013, 11:54 AM
It was a little tough yes.
Captain
# 6
04-19-2013, 11:56 AM
My experience was that my team was wiped out all but instantly by a mine.

NPCs avoid plasma grenades and dampening fields, why can't our officers avoid similar terrain hazards?

Also: He was invisible for most of the fight. So that was cool.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
04-19-2013, 12:01 PM
I also found this battle to be extremely tough; I wiped once. I think it'd be much more palatable if it was just the commander.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
04-19-2013, 12:03 PM
It was tough, but I didn't feel like it was overly tough. I targeted his mooks first, which I usually do for Tholians, and saved the commander for last. I died but got a rez from my boffs and killed him.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Career Officer
# 9
04-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
It was tough, but I didn't feel like it was overly tough. I targeted his mooks first, which I usually do for Tholians, and saved the commander for last. I died but got a rez from my boffs and killed him.
And now imagine you are new to STO, just got your first ground kit, don't have any shield batteries, no one told you how to rez your BOs and the only Tholians you know are the mooks you killed right before him.^^
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Ensign
# 10
04-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I agree that it was a bit harder that it should be.

Perhaps replace the secondary spawns with Ensigns?