Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 416
# 11
04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
I'll be there . Also, not a lot of US citizens are close enough to attend a ST Con, heck, this will be a 3 and half hour drive for me, and that almost puts me at my limit to drive for something that only lasts three days. The next nearest one is in Chicago, almost 11 hours away.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 744
# 12
04-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdawson View Post
...Oh joy, another exclusive unavailable to those outside of America.
It's also unavailable to most people in the Americas, and even the US. I know I'm not going to Philly any time soon...
Join Date: July 29 2008
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 867
# 13 Australia!
04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm getting really irritated everytime I see this promotion.

I live in Australia and we don't have Star Trek Conventions!
Well, I've been to one and that was like 10 years ago.

So, we're never getting this Holo Leeta doff!

How about doing the right thing and giving it out to people who can't attend the convention because it's physically impossible to do so?
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 416
# 14
04-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
I'm getting really irritated everytime I see this promotion.

I live in Australia and we don't have Star Trek Conventions!
Well, I've been to one and that was like 10 years ago.

So, we're never getting this Holo Leeta doff!

How about doing the right thing and giving it out to people who can't attend the convention because it's physically impossible to do so?
How is that the right thing? It's not as if Cryptic is the only gaming company to offer promotions like this. I'm never going to go to any of the PAX's, so should I complain that Devs, like Bethesda, who offered game time in Elder Scrolls Online to people who attend, make it available for those that can't? It's not as if this DOff is a game changer. Self-entitled people really irritate me.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 78
# 15
04-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Here's an advance TLDR... In gaming terms: Stop acting like your entitled to the reward, if your not willing or able to undertake the quest required to win it.

That's the whole point of a convention really. Many companies offer exclusive content (be it in the form of an exclusive cover on a comic book, or just the fact that you can get an autograph by a particular actor there). This is the nature of the business. You get perks for supporting the show by buying a ticket (as an artist who bought a table at those shows for hundreds of dollars, even I don't have access to those perks).

It's an incentive to attend the show.

I Can't afford to fly out and attend San Diego Comicon, so I'm not going to complain that I missed out on anything that went on at that show or any of the many exclusives offered there. That's my problem, not the conventions, or Cryptics.

Another thing to remember is this: Cryptic can reach out to the conventions with an offer, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the convention will take them up on their offer, nor does it mean that Cryptic has to offer up their exclusive content to every convention out there because, let's face it, there has to be some sort of gain off of the exclusive, and some shows are just too small to count.

Personally, I find that things are much easier and life is generally better if I don't worry about the color of someone else's grass or what the Jones are up to.

But maybe that's just me. I could be wrong.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 574
# 16
04-23-2013, 01:51 AM
The problem for many outside the US is traveling and hotel costs. For me to attend any ST convention in the US or heck even here in the EU, would mean that I would have to pay an arm and a leg to be able to attend.

I have really wanted to go to ST Vegas for some time now, but it's far to expensive for me and other ST fans in the EU or other parts of the world to attend.

So there you have the main reason for ppl being sad seeing promos like this, and seeing others get shinies that we can never get our hands on unless we attend said convention(s).

Last edited by otowi; 04-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
# 17
04-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Cryptic did give out Leeta for the London event.
So they did.

Part of the issue, however, is that I didn't check the forums that often then (too much whining) and I didn't see anything about it in-game.

Also, I'm surprised there wasn't anything about it from event officials or anything on the event website.

Uuugh. That event was the worst thing I've ever been to, birthday parties and model railway exhibitions included.
_____________________
Previously known as MGDawson.
Lifer since April 2010, and open beta tester.
Say "NO" to the Tier 5 Constitution!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,679
# 18
04-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Keep in mind a couple of things:

1) Cryptic *HAS* given these out for Star Trek conventions of which they were aware, but unable to attend. An example is Megacon 2013. I'm sure Branflakes would love to hear about forthcoming conventions far enough in advance for Cryptic to make plans regarding them.

2) There's no requirement that you buy a three or four day pass and stay in a hotel; getting a one-day pass and popping by the convention just long enough to prove you were there is sufficient. So if all you can manage is to drop by on Saturday and buy the cheapest pass available, and make a pass through the dealer room or something, you can still participate.

3) It's just a doff and a title. It's a very nice doff, but there's no high-reward missions in the doffing system that you are unable to complete without her or anything like that. When somebody else near you gets something nice and you don't, that's not a punishment for you; it's a reward for them. Congratulate them and start looking for forthcoming conventions in your area to inform Branflakes about.

4) When I was a kid I had a friend. He got together with a couple of other young Trek fans and put on a mini-convention, which I greatly enjoyed. It only included a couple of dozen locals, but it lead to lots of other opportunities. Perhaps you've heard of him; his name is Larry Nemecek, and he gets PAID to be a Star Trek fan now. If there are no cons around your area, organize one; it's very rewarding, and you will find that other Trekkies are great people to work with. Who knows, it might even wind up being a long-running thing, like some of Larry's.

When you do put that con on, let Branflakes know.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 574
# 19
04-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Keep in mind a couple of things:

1) Cryptic *HAS* given these out for Star Trek conventions of which they were aware, but unable to attend. An example is Megacon 2013. I'm sure Branflakes would love to hear about forthcoming conventions far enough in advance for Cryptic to make plans regarding them.

2) There's no requirement that you buy a three or four day pass and stay in a hotel; getting a one-day pass and popping by the convention just long enough to prove you were there is sufficient. So if all you can manage is to drop by on Saturday and buy the cheapest pass available, and make a pass through the dealer room or something, you can still participate.

3) It's just a doff and a title. It's a very nice doff, but there's no high-reward missions in the doffing system that you are unable to complete without her or anything like that. When somebody else near you gets something nice and you don't, that's not a punishment for you; it's a reward for them. Congratulate them and start looking for forthcoming conventions in your area to inform Branflakes about.

4) When I was a kid I had a friend. He got together with a couple of other young Trek fans and put on a mini-convention, which I greatly enjoyed. It only included a couple of dozen locals, but it lead to lots of other opportunities. Perhaps you've heard of him; his name is Larry Nemecek, and he gets PAID to be a Star Trek fan now. If there are no cons around your area, organize one; it's very rewarding, and you will find that other Trekkies are great people to work with. Who knows, it might even wind up being a long-running thing, like some of Larry's.

When you do put that con on, let Branflakes know.
The statements below are not meant to be insulting in any way shape or form to the above poster, just my opinions on this matter.

Wow. Way to look down on people not able to attend because they do not live in the US. And to put up an con in this country is out of the question. Would be WAY to expensive due how greedy the government is with conventions and costs, so not an option.

The main problem is, and will almost allways be the cost of going to any convention, since the major ones are where?? Oh, that's right: the US.

Never mind that the show is made in the US, that is not the point, the point is that there are no major ones here in the EU that I'm aware of, and if there is one, then it will likely be so expensive that it's not worth the bother.

And I will never "congratulate" some one who gets something I have nearly 0% chance of ever getting. That statement is insulting.

Overall, not a very good post imho.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,394
# 20
04-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
And to put up an con in this country is out of the question. Would be WAY to expensive due how greedy the government is with conventions and costs, so not an option.
Wait, what? You can't put on your own show because ... of ... ?

It doesn't have to be a mega con. Just get a little something together in a town hall or whatever, with a dealer room. Contact Bran and see if that will work. And viola. Trek fans, trek Merchandise, and you get a nice little promo together with STO.

The whole thing is about the community. Bran is all about the community. There is definitely something that I bet can be worked out. Trek conventions started as grass roots things way back when.

I don't think anyone's looking down on anyone else. Just trying to find a positive solution to those who are nowhere near the more standard/bigger conventions.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:22 PM.