Commander
# 21
04-23-2013, 04:43 PM
How about something more unique than the same crap we always get? Any actual rewards for vets of star trek conventions?
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
04-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Wait, what? You can't put on your own show because ... of ... ?

It doesn't have to be a mega con. Just get a little something together in a town hall or whatever, with a dealer room. Contact Bran and see if that will work. And viola. Trek fans, trek Merchandise, and you get a nice little promo together with STO.

The whole thing is about the community. Bran is all about the community. There is definitely something that I bet can be worked out. Trek conventions started as grass roots things way back when.

I don't think anyone's looking down on anyone else. Just trying to find a positive solution to those who are nowhere near the more standard/bigger conventions.
Problem is that you can not use town halls for this, it has to be an approved venue AFAIK. And then you have to get permission, pay rent for the place of the venue, maybe get a promoter...

The list goes on and on, and I can't imagine anyone setting up a ST convention due to the prohibitvly high prices assosciated with it.

So, as far as a convention in this country, it's sadly almost out of the question I'm afraid. Stupid country in some ways ...
Community Moderator
# 23
04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Problem is that you can not use town halls for this, it has to be an approved venue AFAIK. And then you have to get permission, pay rent for the place of the venue, maybe get a promoter...
That minicon to which I referred took place in one room of the student union at a local university. I think their biggest expense was advertising, which consisted of a few signs around campus, a classified ad in the local newspaper, and a free PSA on the local radio stations.

Maybe it will cost more than that for you, but maybe not. You could have an interesting minicon in a high school gymnasium; that'd be several times the size of the space we used. If there are exorbitant fees needed just to assemble in public, find a private venue that will host you. If there are exorbitant fees just to ASSEMBLE, perhaps find a merchandise dealer who will sponsor you in return for dominating (or completely comprising) your dealer space.

I don't know what country you're in, and I wouldn't want to encourage you to share personal information you're not comfortable sharing, but I'd be very surprised if there's not a way to hold a convention that's beyond the realm of possibility in a country with sufficient internet infrastructure to play this game acceptably. I can think of a couple, but you probably couldn't even WATCH Star Trek in those.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
04-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
That minicon to which I referred took place in one room of the student union at a local university. I think their biggest expense was advertising, which consisted of a few signs around campus, a classified ad in the local newspaper, and a free PSA on the local radio stations.

Maybe it will cost more than that for you, but maybe not. You could have an interesting minicon in a high school gymnasium; that'd be several times the size of the space we used. If there are exorbitant fees needed just to assemble in public, find a private venue that will host you. If there are exorbitant fees just to ASSEMBLE, perhaps find a merchandise dealer who will sponsor you in return for dominating (or completely comprising) your dealer space.

I don't know what country you're in, and I wouldn't want to encourage you to share personal information you're not comfortable sharing, but I'd be very surprised if there's not a way to hold a convention that's beyond the realm of possibility in a country with sufficient internet infrastructure to play this game acceptably. I can think of a couple, but you probably couldn't even WATCH Star Trek in those.
I live in Norway. The problem is, if I want to use say a gymnasium and/or anything else connected to those kind of things, I would have to get persmission not only from the gymnasium, but also from the local city council, since it's to be held at a place the council/government owns (schools high schools) and get it into a schedule. Promotion is very expensive, and I would have to go advertizing in the county just to get enough to attend to cover the expenses.

And to go to a private venue... Pfft. Those ppl are even more expensive, so that's a no go.

So I can pretty much let that thought go the way of the dodo I'm afaraid.
Community Moderator
# 25
04-24-2013, 01:04 PM
You might want to check these folks out then; they periodically hold Trek conventions in Norway. They started out with a small minicon, and grew...

http://trekkers.no/

Not often, but they do happen.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
You might want to check these folks out then; they periodically hold Trek conventions in Norway. They started out with a small minicon, and grew...

http://trekkers.no/

Not often, but they do happen.
Ok, will keep those guys in mind. Only thing is that the last minicon was in Kristiansand, a 3 hr drive from where I live, but just about what I consider to be "in range" for me.

Thanks for finding those guys
Rihannsu
# 27
04-24-2013, 02:05 PM
For all the people whining about not being able to get the doff, did you even consider the time and money it costs to get it? Its minimum $20 ticket for Friday or $25 Saturday/Sunday plus parking and time driving. Ultimately its around $40 on Friday and $50 Saturday/Sunday for the doff. Its not even worth it lol. I don't even see why anyone is complaining, I live less than an hour away and I wont even go to the convention because for me to go with my wife, plus time driving, and gas it would cost me around $70 dollars for a DOFF!!!!! I can buy a hell of a lot more cstore items with that than 1 doff LOL.
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
04-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Ok, will keep those guys in mind. Only thing is that the last minicon was in Kristiansand, a 3 hr drive from where I live, but just about what I consider to be "in range" for me.

Thanks for finding those guys
Just to put things in perspective. I live in the United States, and that's about how far I'd have to drive to get to the nearest Sci-Fi convention. To get to Star Trek specific ones, I'd have to fly. So far I have not been able to afford to go to one, but I'd like to some day.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Career Officer
# 29
04-24-2013, 04:49 PM
For Australia, it's even harder.

We have some kind of law that affects public gatherings.
I can't remember what it is, but it's analogous to private medical insurance.

I.E: if you expect a certain amount of people, you have to pay a fee to cover the medical costs of anyone who may get injured at your event.

This is so pricey that even some major gatherings (think over a thousand attendees) have been forced to cancel their special event because they couldn't afford the cost of the liability insurance.

Also, I think it's a requirement to hire security personnel as well, in case of issues with violent and drunken behavior.

I'm assuming both of those things are far beyond what a small group of dedicated fans can afford.

I know there's a Melbourne convention center that has an outdoor big screen of sorts (it's the art center near Flinders Street Station if anyone knows the area), but I'm not sure how someone would go about hiring that.

Mind you, that convention center has been used by some big name companies in the past when they brought their shows down here in the past.

The last two I attended was the Pixar exhibition and the Tim Burton exhibition.
But these were shown in the basement gallery, not the bigscreen external area.

I'm not living in Melbourne at the moment, but it's close enough that I could be there within a day, if I knew there was a convention planned and I had enough notice (6 months) to book a airplane ticket.
Career Officer
# 30
04-27-2013, 06:38 AM
I was going to go to the convention, then as I was reading about the events. the one I was most interested in was the costume perade. turns out it is not a parade, it is a costume contest being held in the theatre. its basically the only reason I was going, was to watch a star trek parade. sitting in back of a theatre seeing people dressed in characters don't do it for me.
the other thought is spending at least 25 dollars to look at vendors merchandise that I can purchase when I can see it online to purchase through the star trek store. yes others will sell collectibles for outrageous money but I wouldn't think about purchasing that or could I afford it.
the thing I will miss out on the most is the items from sto but you have to email a pic to someone and hope they don't screw it up to get the items. makes getting the item more harder then needs to be, certainly not worth the aggravation.
bottom line not attending convention.
congrats to everyone that is going and hope you enjoy yourselves.