Captain
# 21
04-23-2013, 09:42 AM
If you people actually read my first statement, you would realize that I just didn't want my character to be called a terrorist. I didn't say anything about banning words. You guys came up with that logic.

I didn't think that having such of an opinion would be offensive.

My original statement:
Quote:
As a result of recent news events, especially the ones that took place in my state, would Cryptic consider changing that phrase to 'Romulan Traitor'?

Up until you are called 'a terrorist', I was all on board with this new expansion.

My current image of a terrorist is a murderer of innocence....
BIG difference in what is being asked, and what you guys have turned it into.

I am not looking for censorship. I just do not want my character to be called a terrorists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiederichs View Post
....Your gender has nothing, zero, zip, nada, to do with people's reaction to your sudden discomfort with the "T" word.

Are people out of line for jumping on your reaction to the "T" word? Perhaps. But does it have anything at all to do with your gender and/or that gender's "role"?

No.
Is that not what you guys did to me? You turned my statement into something else?

I restored my first post by quoting the one that followed. After seeing how people reacted to my question, I decided to restore the original post.

Link to Original Statement

Last edited by linyive; 04-23-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Captain
# 22
04-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Not missing. . . just separated into "Legacy of Romulus Part 2: The Continuing Adventures of Cap'n Pointy Ears!"
But but but when we left the couragous cap'n he was hanging onto a ledge with his pointy ears and was slipping I GOTTA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!
Community Moderator
# 23
04-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Ok, folks, let's please remember that we can disagree with somebody's statement without belittling the person. Even if we strongly disagree, let's keep it civil with our fellow Captains.

Keep on Trekkin'
syberghost
Community Moderator
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Survivor of Remus
# 24
04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost

Last edited by syberghost; 04-23-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-23-2013, 10:24 AM
After the LoR expansion, it will be impossible for me to play the old FED missions. The quality of the new content is just amazing. Please keep it up!
Career Officer
# 26
04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
I can already tell this expansion is going to be a blast.
Career Officer
# 27
04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
--- Added my original statement back ---

As a result of recent news events, especially the ones that took place in my state, would Cryptic consider changing that phrase to 'Romulan Traitor'?

Up until you are called 'a terrorist', I was all on board with this new expansion.

I do not think I want to play this game now.

Its a little too soon.

My current image of a terrorist is a murderer of innocence. I just keep thinking about the Boston Marathon massacre, for the event happened approximate ten to twenty miles away. Do not even get me to think about how the freak went to UMD.
You have every right in the world to feel the way you do.

But perhaps if the situation bothers you that much, you should be looking for games that don't throw it back into your face.

Just changing the word in the LoR missions would not take you out of the situation that the story presents.

This is just a suggestion, but it probably wouldn't hurt to actively seek milder forms of game-play, until you have figured out in your own mind, how to deal with this tragedy.

I lost my best friend and former partner to an 88 year old lady who drove over him on Good Friday (3/29/13), because she was in a hurry to get to her hair appointment and didn't see him in the cross-walk...,

My enjoyment of crazy car chase games has been dampened to no end.

We all have to bear life's intolerable moments that come at us, but it's best to remember that they are not always going to be perceived by others in the same way.

Therefore, we should not try to impose our personal way of grieving (or avoiding grief) upon them.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 04-23-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Career Officer
# 28
04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
--- Added my original statement back ---

I do not think I want to play this game now.

Its a little too soon.

My current image of a terrorist is a murderer of innocence. I just keep thinking about the Boston Marathon massacre, for the event happened approximate ten to twenty miles away. Do not even get me to think about how the freak went to UMD.
Sure. The word is offensive. And the expansion appears to be the fallout from being falsely accused of being something offensive.
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
04-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Yep, have to say I agree with the writer's take on LoR thus far. Even with the extant and inevitable bugs that come with anything at the beta stage of development, it has been fantastic to play! For the first time in a good while, I am really looking forward to playing STO again - LoR promises to deliver a LOT of what folks - based on my own observations and from what I've gleaned from forum entries, in-game discussions, and so on - seem to have been missing or asking for for some time.

Good on you guys - can't wait!

Fleet Commander
Caprica's Revenge
(...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)

Last edited by clannmac; 04-24-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Commander
# 30
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:
You are correct. Asking the question was very-very wrong of me.

I should know my role.

Second, I never once asked for the word to be banned.
I don't think it was 'very,very wrong', just not something that is possible. Never hurts to ask, as long as you will accept a 'no' as much as a 'yes'.

I can sympathize with your viewpoint, as the point is that you (the player) are being asked to assume a title (applied by other powers in the game, note, not one the character seeks or accepts to my knowledge) that has very evil meanings IRL, emphasized by events that are very recent. That makes assuming the character's place in the game much harder than it otherwise would have been.

The main problem is that it takes months to write, code, debug, and then publish these storylines, while events are happening on an hourly basis. Constantly trying to alter the content to avoid certain wording that is too current would be a losing race, and would bring up questions of what words to use that could be considered 'safe'.

Ultimately, we can't let the actions of people such as those who enacted the events in question to dictate what we say or put into print, or they have gained a victory I don't want to give them. In a way, not shying away every time they do something is our victory over them by denying what they most want...fear and control.

Finally, don't be hesitant to take time off from a game to find balance in RL. If something online is disturbing, log off and take a break. This is the one advantage online activities offer, so don't be shy about taking advantage of it if you need to. We'll be here when you're ready to come back.

Remember that labels are just that. It's our own actions and knowledge of ourselves that makes them true or false.

Last edited by danqueller; 04-24-2013 at 10:30 AM.